The “New” PAC12 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The “New” PAC12

Reaction Score
Since the PAC-4 are left behind from the Power Conferences, it should expand with everyone else who was left behind at some point in history as well as the top remaining G5 schools:

Stanford
Cal
Oregon State
Washington State
SMU
Rice
Tulane
UConn
Temple
USF
Army
Navy
Air Force
SDSU
Boise State
Colorado State

Only problem is the travel costs vs. what type of media rights contract this group could receive.
I like that conference. This is a LONG shot but maybe a hybrid merger with the Big East for long term stability and improved academic/athletic prestige. Someone else floated that idea on here and I thought it was intriguing

Reaction Score
If Apple wants in the game, let them sit down with the PAC 4 to cherry pick teams they feel would add value and let them make a financial offer to make it worthwhile for schools to consider it.

Altimore's chart had UAB at 0% stadium capacity. Who knows what else is off. He puts a lot of time into that stuff.

Reaction Score

Access <<

- > We did not account for College Football Playoff or NCAA Tournament revenue. The figures below are strictly for broadcasts of regular-season games.

Scenario I​

Expansion move: The four remaining schools merge with the Mountain West to create a super-conference. While an outright merger is considered unlikely, we wanted to provide a broad sweep of outcomes.
Total members: 16 in football, 15 in basketball (excluding Hawaii)
Estimated average valuation: $8.4 million per school

Scenario II​

Expansion move: The four remaining schools add San Diego State, Fresno State and Colorado State from the Mountain West and SMU, Rice and Tulane from the American.
Total members: 10
Estimated average valuation: $10.5 million per school

Scenario III​

Expansion move: The four remaining schools add San Diego State, Fresno State, Colorado State and Boise State from the Mountain West and SMU and Tulane from the American.
Estimated average valuation: $10.9 million per school

There are other options, of course. The rebuilt league could settle on eight members, or grow to 12. It could add Memphis or even Gonzaga (except in football). Perhaps UNLV would be included. Our goal wasn’t to cover every possible scenario but, rather, to provide a reasonable range of outcomes.<-

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Access <<

- > We did not account for College Football Playoff or NCAA Tournament revenue. The figures below are strictly for broadcasts of regular-season games.

Scenario I​

Expansion move: The four remaining schools merge with the Mountain West to create a super-conference. While an outright merger is considered unlikely, we wanted to provide a broad sweep of outcomes.

Scenario II​

Expansion move: The four remaining schools add San Diego State, Fresno State and Colorado State from the Mountain West and SMU, Rice and Tulane from the American.

Scenario III​

Expansion move: The four remaining schools add San Diego State, Fresno State, Colorado State and Boise State from the Mountain West and SMU and Tulane from the American.

There are other options, of course. The rebuilt league could settle on eight members, or grow to 12. It could add Memphis or even Gonzaga (except in football). Perhaps UNLV would be included. Our goal wasn’t to cover every possible scenario but, rather, to provide a reasonable range of outcomes.<-

In this case bigger is better for streaming, to a point. In a streaming world, the conference wants to get as many attractive games as possible on the platform while not diluting their product. Expect every conference to go to some type of performance compensation since the access to fans is so even (ie basically no premium time slots) and it will be easy to track viewers.

Reaction Score

Access <<

Scenario I​

Scenario II​

Scenario III​

I believe the most likely outcome will be for the PAC-4 to retain the conference name and expand. There is value in the PAC-12 name.

I am not sure if UConn should get involved with this since the new Big East media deal could pay almost as much as the deal with this newly formed conference.

Reaction Score
One of the biggest problems with the PAC 12 was it being in the Pacific time zone. I understand it's Stanford which will probably end up leaving the conference at some point anyway. The AAC schools should stay home and continue to play in Florida, Texas and the Carolinas. It makes a lot more sense for Oregon State and Washington State to join the MWC and let Stanford and Cal fend for themselves, perhaps join the AAC if that is all they can garner right now.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Decent update/review from Athletic:

Assisted access <<

It would be very funny and very appropriate to the insanity of Conference Realignment that the PAC (Pacific oriented Conference) is saved by a merger with a legal entity once known as the “BIG EAST” focused on northeastern hoops. Nuts

Reaction Score
It would be very funny and very appropriate to the insanity of Conference Realignment that the PAC (Pacific oriented Conference) is saved by a merger with a legal entity once known as the “BIG EAST” focused on northeastern hoops. Nuts
Well these days it is all about media rights and good content.

I am pretty sure both Cal and Stanford are getting sick thinking the possibility that they have to be associated with academic lightweights in the MWC and the AAC. Big East schools have much better academics, which can be a positive. I am pretty sure Cal and Stanford would much rather be associated with UConn, Grown, Nova etc. Big East is also a power conference in the other major sport, and should get a pretty good media deal closer to $10M per year just on basketball.

The timing is also good since the Big East is about to negotiate its next media deal, and the PAC-12 is ending theirs after this year.

This will allow PAC-4 schools to have decent Olympic sports while doing a nationwide football only conference.

If they get a media partner willing to pay good money for this, it can work.

Reaction Score
Student athletes are an after thought in the era of ruthless realignment with media companies using colleges and conferences as pawns and chess pieces.

Reaction Score

I am pretty sure both Cal and Stanford are getting sick thinking the possibility that they have to be associated with academic lightweights in the MWC and the AAC. Big East schools have much better academics, which can be a positive. I am pretty sure Cal and Stanford would much rather be associated with UConn, Grown, Nova etc. Big East is also a power conference in the other major sport, and should get a pretty good media deal closer to $10M per year just on basketball.

The timing is also good since the Big East is about to negotiate its next media deal, and the PAC-12 is ending theirs after this year.

This will allow PAC-4 schools to have decent Olympic sports while doing a nationwide football only conference.

I always thought Cal and Stanford were the biggest opposition to BYU and Baylor types being on their conference because of their religious affiliations. Now, they're just going to partner with a bunch of Catholic schools? I have to see it to believe it.

Reaction Score
Student athletes are an after thought in the era of ruthless realignment with media companies using colleges and conferences as pawns and chess pieces.

The presidents should all be ashamed of themselves for allowing this circus to continue. This is a nice article by President Murthy, president of Oregon State, but she will also be forced to jump faster than sheet through a duck if and when an invitation comes.

"While Oregon State continues to believe the preservation of the Pac-12 in some form is in the best interests of the remaining member institutions, student-athletes and fans, we also are exploring alternate paths forward. We come from a position of strength."

Reaction Score
I always thought Cal and Stanford were the biggest opposition to BYU and Baylor types being on their conference because of their religious affiliations. Now, they're just going to partner with a bunch of Catholic schools? I have to see it to believe it.
Desperate people do desperate things. We will see.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is doing alot more than consuming scraps. The Big 12 is a powerhouse.
Is UConn on the menu? Main course or scraps will be just fine. Ill hang up and listen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yeah the problem is those Olympic sports are going to be traveling to the other side of the country.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Sort of. They are arrogant and that landed them in this predicament with academic lightweights Oregon State and Wazzou. Tulane and SMU aren’t lightweights. Rice is an athletics disaster unfortunately. The Big East discussion is pointless. It’s not splitting up for this Frankenstein conference. UConn is the only Big East school that would consider it.

Reaction Score

Access <<

Scenario I​

Scenario II​

Scenario III​

When the ACC implodes maybe they take Syracuse and BC

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
what I find the most interesting here is SMU they are a religious school, yes they have really good academics but if Stanford and Cal are the ones riding the boat for a possible expansion, they would have to overlook what seems to be their main issue with a ton of really good academic programs who could've been in the old PAC, I'd feel bad for SMU if they get booted for Rice lolll

Reaction Score
what I find the most interesting here is SMU they are a religious school, yes they have really good academics but if Stanford and Cal are the ones riding the boat for a possible expansion, they would have to overlook what seems to be their main issue with a ton of really good academic programs who could've been in the old PAC, I'd feel bad for SMU if they get booted for Rice lolll
I believe SMU is no longer affiliated with the Methodist church and is a private school

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom