That was one cluster duck* of a game - I have some thoughts | The Boneyard

That was one cluster duck* of a game - I have some thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't want to excuse their poor first half performance, because it was terrible to watch, but you never circled the game against Stony Brook the Sunday after Thanksgiving at 4:00 on the calender when the schedule came out. Ideally you want your team to go balls to the wall every single minute, but if this team wasn't at least a little lethargic out there early in the game, I'd have to question if human nature was an actual concept or just a convenient scape goat for when people *k up in life (maybe it's both?). Regardless, I think you'll see the best of this team when they play N.C. State in MSG next week.

Now, regarding that second half, am I going out on a limb by suggesting it was the first good half this team played since the first half of the MSU game? I suppose they played decently in the second half of the Wake Forest game, but even that one had quite a few bumps in the road. Recently we have seen much closer to the product we expected this season than the product we saw in the opener. When Napier and Boatright choose to defer rather than attack, this team struggles mightily to score points. Not only is this team a bit limited in the talent department relative to past UConn teams, but we also tend to forget how young they are. Olander and Giffey are both juniors, but their playing time throughout their respective UConn careers has not really been consistent. Calhoun would play them 30 minutes one game, and 4 the next. This season at least they know they will see the floor 2
0-30 minutes a night barring foul trouble or an unforeseen explosion from Wolf or Calhoun. Omar is obviously a freshman, and Deandre didn't see many minutes last season once Big East play started. The continuity is clearly a work in progress, as is their individual development, both offensively and defensively.

I saw some people hinting in a separate thread that there might be some sort of fundamental flaw in the Napier/Boatright dynamic, but I just don't agree. Sure, there's a bit of a "you're turn, my turn" feel to it at times, specifically late in games, but I see no reason this can't work long-term, given they both appear to be selfless players. As I've written several times, the ability to put two guards on the court late in games who can get their shot whenever they want is not an advantage many teams have. Granted, each of them needs to improve their court vision, both for their NBA aspirations, and for the benefit of this team. One poster earlier made the observation that both of them drive to score rather than pass, and I couldn't agree more. This offense suddenly becomes quite potent when they explore both options (as in passing and scoring), because the defense has to collapse upon penetration, leaving capable shooters open from outside. You saw it in the second half: Boatright and Napier had the ball in their hands, and they simply carved up the Stony Brook defense. I completely understand the desire to involve the others in the offense, but there is a fine line between involving others and isolating players who do not have the ability to create (Daniels, Calhoun, Olander, just to name a few) offense for themselves. I'm not saying Napier and Boatright have to combine for 50 a game for this team to be successful, but EVERYTHING has to run through those two, otherwise you're going to see more 26 point first halves like we saw today. And when you score 26 points in the first half against a Syracuse, Louisville, or N.C. State, you're going to be down 20 at halftime and not five.

Some player notes:

Napier - All in all, he played a very good game today, but he needs to do more. Seven shot attempts isn't enough for a player of his talent level. I'm not asking him to be Kemba, but I do think he needs to take 15-20 shots a game for this team unless somebody else is hot.

Boatright - I'm not saying I'm disappointed in Boatright, but he's clearly not as good as I expected him to be. Thus far he's had a Kemba-like sophmore year, IMO, in that he hasn't quite pieced it together yet. He racked up seven assists today, but his decision making could use a lot of improvement. The most important aspect of playing the point guard position is knowing what to do once you beat the orgiginal defender off the dribble and get into the foul line area. Oftentimes, it's a split second decision, and it takes years for even the most talented players to master. Hell, even NBA veterans screw it up - you've got two, sometimes three defenders converging, and you have to anticipate their movements, and whether you should dump it to a big man, kick it back out, pull up, or take it all the way to the rim. Obviously, the preference among young guards like Boatright, and a young Kemba, is to take it all the way to the rim. Boatright needs to learn to utilize his other options, because he's not in high school anymore and he's only 5'10.

Calhoun - The talent is obviously there, and just a few games in, it seems that he's already progressing in terms of off-ball movement, and freeing himself for shots. Early in the second half he passed up a three pointer, took the ball towards the baseline, and sank a nice ten foot jumper. Earlier in the season he would have either taken a contested three, or taken it all the way to the basket and likely gotten blocked. It's these subtle movements that really separate freshman from sophmores and juniors. Luckily for us, I think Omar will get it sooner rather than later.

Giffey - No question he deserves the game ball today. He's such a nice piece for a coach to have - I think he's the only player on the team Coach Ollie doesn't have to worry about playing outside himself, which is both a blessing and a curse, because oftentimes I'll find myself yelling at the TV when he passes up a wide open three. I know Giffey has the reputation of a "glue guy" because he does all the little things (entry passes, defense, screens, rebounds, etc.), but I also think he could be one of our more prominant offensive players. He might even be the best shooter on the time after Shabazz.

Daniels - Deandre plays like a freshman. That shouldn't come as a surprise, because he played so sparringly last season and never really found a rhythm. He's clearly got a lot of talent (although I don't agree with whoever said pre-season that he was our best NBA prospect - I don't see that in him), but he makes more bad decisions than anybody on our team. Nothing better exhibits Deandre's game than when he tried to drive to the basket today and stepped out of bounds. There was nothing there, and it was a terrible decision. I think Deandre will be our most anemic player this season, and that's not neccessarily a knock on him. Some players grow into themselves sooner than others.

Olander - Earlier in the season it looked like Tyler might just hold his own in the Big East - now, I'm not so sure. He played very well in the first two games, blocking shots, rebounding, playing solid post defense, and providing some timely buckets. Since then, he looks like the mid-major player many of us suspected he was upon his arrival at UConn. Ultimately, somebody on the game thread put it best - he's a role player who has been thrust into an unfair position having to man the post for UConn. Some games we're going to get 30 solid minutes from him, and some games we'll be wishing he hadn't showed up to the gym. I think Calhoun treated him that way, which is why he was so quick with the hook when Olander did something stupid early in the game.

Wolf - was a non-factor today. Hopefully he can give us more than that going forward.

Lastly, call me a generous grader, but I'm inclined to put another check in the box for Coach Ollie. He looked legitimately pissed at halftime, and they were a completely different team in the second half. The sets were much crisper, they played harder, and obviously it helped that they made shots. If they lost to Stony Brook, that would have been a real concern. But so far Ollie has done enough to earn the job, IMO.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Good post, chap.

I found it interesting when the camera was on Omar after he made shots. He was cursing himself each time as if sayin' "Where was that shot last game?" I like that Omar is working hard and is starting to blossom a bit.

As for Olander...yes, definite role player. That spin move he made that was his second shot of the game will haunt me in my sleep tonight. He is painfully slow.

Reaction Score
One thing about Daniels that shouldn't be overlooked, he is clearly our low post shot-blocking presence. He is more of a defensive piece right now than an offensive piece. We need one of those. I hope he develops his defense a lot more so that he can turn into a Roscoe on that end of the floor.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Good post, chap.

I found it interesting when the camera was on Omar after he made shots. He was cursing himself each time as if sayin' "Where was that shot last game?" I like that Omar is working hard and is starting to blossom a bit.

As for Olander...yes, definite role player. That spin move he made that was his second shot of the game will haunt me in my sleep tonight. He is painfully slow.
Every time Olander gets the ball on offense and holds the ball chest level with arms extended waiting to decide what to do next, I'm expecting an opposing player to come from behind and take it from him. It's happened some this year but fortunately not as much as it might. He really needs to break that habit and hold the ball high. This is going to be a big problem if he keeps doing it when we get into Big East play where guys have quick hands and the defense is more intense.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Good post.

A couple things. One, I was one of the people in that other thread talking about Bazz and Boat (among other things, I said they are more interchangeable than compatible). I also don't think it's a problem, really. I was just arguing that we look disorganized sometimes not because of a power struggle, but rather because they're similar players with similar skill sets; sometimes it's unclear who's supposed to do what. But overall, I think it's nice having 2 guys who can do what they do. (It's also nice having a pure point guard and a pure shooting guard, as long as they're both good.) Two, Giffey could shoot a lot more and still not play outside himself, I think. He has often passed down open looks and until he got hot today he turned down some open looks early in the game. We all know he has a nice stroke, so he should be taking open shots. Hopefully, today will give him some confidence. The more of an outside threat he is, the better, obviously.

caw

Reaction Score
Good thing a lot of fans here aren't fans of UCLA...

Reaction Score
Good post, chap.

Olander is our most important front court player. He is the only size and beef we have except for Wolf who IMO will be nothing more than a sub.
We won't be in the top 25 at the end of the season unless some of young players develop quickly. This team concerns me when we head into a rougher BE schedule. Right now I'll take 5-1.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
6 major conference teams lost to non-majors today. there is so much talent and good coaching out there, that the key is to just survive games like this. UConn won by 11. Good game.

Reaction Score
I saw something yesterday that I didn't notice before. DD is out of position offensively a lot, usually on the perimeter as a 3. I noticed it when the announcers were talking about the team not moving and watching the ballhandler.

When a player shoots he is far from the boards and we consequently have one less rebounder. He probably unconsciously still is playing the small forward position, his natural place. As a 4 he needs to play closer to the rim even though he is still learning the position. I'm sure its tough being asked to play a position he's not used to, but we need him at power forward real bad.

Reaction Score
Napier is so intimidating to other guards, whether it be his chatter or play; boatright and him just can't stop their aggressiveness. Daniels needs to be watching more tape, he could get more rebounds. Carve out position young fella. And lastly nobody ,even himself, seems to know how good of an athlete Giffey is. Love from him to do more athletic things on the court .passing lanes , activity on the boards etc

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Olander is our most important front court player. He is the only size and beef we have except for Wolf who IMO will be nothing more than a sub.
We won't be in the top 25 at the end of the season unless some of young players develop quickly. This team concerns me when we head into a rougher BE schedule. Right now I'll take 5-1.

This team's success will hing on defense, then either fast breaks or treys. We absolutely have seen the best the front court can do already. TO needs to grab 9 boards a game and any points is gravy. Will need 8/game. And hopefully they are opportunistic points and not set plays through him. Those rarely work.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nice write up champs. The coaches are implementing more things as the season progresses. They have to otherwise the team will be scouted out by opponents. That has resulted in the team taking steps backwards. The big question is whether they will put it together by the time the BE starts. I'm with you about KO. He's not playing things safely. He is working on developing the team as opposed to setting up SN. I believe it will pay dividends as the season progresses.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
This teams biggest problem right now, outside of their rebounding struggles that will likely hamper them then entire season, is running offensive sets. I'm hopeful that this will improve as the season progresses, but there is just too much standing around again.

They're going to need to use quickness to their advantage once some of the big boys roll around ... I'd like to see less watching and more movement without the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom