OT: - Thank a coach or volunteer parent today | The Boneyard

OT: Thank a coach or volunteer parent today

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This past season, the commands to a really young U10 rec soccer team that the parents enjoyed:
  • No no, left midfield. Your other left.
  • Pierce, Nick, pinch in a bit and get closer. Pretend you like each other.
  • Carter, you're the right midfielder. Go to the other side and make friends with the parents.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Flashbacks of my granddaughter doing cartwheels in her soccer game.
We had a kid this past spring season that loved playing goal. He got, um, a little distracted with something in his boot, learned over to try and get it out, while wearing keeper gloves. Needless to say, the other team scored an easy goal. We still praised him for volunteering.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Brings back great memories of coaching t-ball, 3 boys, and going up to little league and then babe ruth ball. Wouldn't trade those times for anything.

Worked & coached with a lot of great guys. Play ball, learn and practice the skills and above all - Have Fun. When I coached my second son as he entered babe ruth ball, I had 3 firefighter, assistanrt chiefs coaching with me. We all knew each other from the Scouting program in town. We had way too much fun. Lost our first 4 games and wondered what to do. My assistants has some great ideas. Hit off the T into the backstop cage. A baseball on a small diameter rope. Twirled around it was another tool to improve the batting eye of each player. Then fielding. I took batting gloves and glued them to 3 to 4 inch square of 1/4 inch plywood. Players had to field with them on. Kids loved it. It really helped developed soft hands and how to properly field groundballs on the infield. And yes, I or another coach hit the balls to them.

The best of that team was one who was not really athletic but full of spirit. The second game he wore his Cat in the Hat hat. It became our good luck charm. even if he wasn't there, he or his dad made sure the hat was there. In a playoff game he delivered a big hit and was moved to second. Now this kid was not fast. But with a hit to right center field, he barrelled around third and headed for home. He did the belly side right into the catcher and knock him over, scoring the winning run. The team mobbed him!! He got the game ball. His father told me after the game the his son had never ever got a game ball or anything like happened in that game. You never know.

Now I watch my oldest grandson enjoying the game. Been watching him since he was 8 years old and stating he was going to be a catcher. He said the catcher runs the show. He's 15 now and a freshman in high school in CT, playing left field for the JV team and catcher for the freshman team. He is one of four freshman suiting up for the JV. He has played in 6 of the 8 JV games so far.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Where's Calvinball when you need it?
BB18E2A7-3085-4A87-A307-55F7D63B635A.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members