Texas Pre-Game Presser | The Boneyard

Texas Pre-Game Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.texassports.com/news/201...-pre-game-press-conference-march-27-2016.aspx

Sorry if this has already been posted but I wanted to make sure that it's available for everyone to see....nice opening comment by the coach thanking the crowd for staying for their game....Texas girls seem to handle themselves well with respect for what they will be facing tomorrow and already talking about their need to work hard when things get tough for them....

Reaction Score
I loved the the coach's response when asked if her team was looking past UCONN because they are so anxious to play Baylor again. She replied, what is this, April Fools or something. She seemed stunned that anyone would ask such a dumb question. Look past UCONN, really?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm just getting a black screen. Anyone else having problems?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Like this coach and how she finally said how about some questions about Texas. Guys asking how great does she think Moriah is. How do you avoid quaking in your shoes? How about you guys do a little work and ask real basketball questions?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Like this coach and how she finally said how about some questions about Texas. Guys asking how great does she think Moriah is. How do you avoid quaking in your shoes?
As I noted above, I'm not able to see this.

But I applaud her for directing the questioning to Texas affairs. These reporters, in my view, go way overboard asking opposing coaches and players what they think of UConn. This seems especially insensitive, and inappropriate, after a devastating loss. As for pre-game pressers, for some of these kids this is their day in the sun, so the focus should be on them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As I noted above, I'm not able to see this.

But I applaud her for directing the questioning to Texas affairs. These reporters, in my view, go way overboard asking opposing coaches and players what they think of UConn. This seems especially insensitive, and inappropriate, after a devastating loss. As for pre-game pressers, for some of these kids this is their day in the sun, so the focus should be on them.

Here Gus:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Enjoyed that a lot.
On the Uconn questions, you have to understand that the reporters in that room are maybe 30 percent neutral, 70 percent Uconn beat, and maybe there are a few TX beat. I thought the questions were pretty good, and I thought the 'overlooking uconn' question was said in jest, but maybe I was wrong.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Imani had a very interesting comment about how when teams start to panic on D;
It starts with an opposing player hitting a shot or two and her defender knowingly
being willing to abandon the team "help" concept in favor of individually covering and concentrating on her "man."

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Enjoyed that a lot.
On the Uconn questions, you have to understand that the reporters in that room are maybe 30 percent neutral, 70 percent Uconn beat, and maybe there are a few TX beat. I thought the questions were pretty good, and I thought the 'overlooking uconn' question was said in jest, but maybe I was wrong.
If you're speaking to me, yes I realize most of the reporters are on the UConn beat. But I hold to the view that the questions in a Texas presser should be weighted toward Texas and its players.

Reaction Score
If you're speaking to me, yes I realize most of the reporters are on the UConn beat. But I hold to the view that the questions in a Texas presser should be weighted toward Texas and its players.

Agreed. This sort thing just gives the hating hordes more ammunition and, seriously, no one had any good questions prepared about their game at their presser? Lazy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agreed. This sort thing just gives the hating hordes more ammunition and, seriously, no one had any good questions prepared about their game at their presser? Lazy.
Cleveland who asked a player and the coach about Moriah is I suspect writing a feature on Moriah, so why not get some input from an opponent who played with her since they were 10, and a coach who recruited her, as just one example. These are actually working meetings for media members that happen to be broadcast. And at the point she complained, she had just got a question about Baylor!!! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Cleveland who asked a player and the coach about Moriah is I suspect writing a feature on Moriah, so why not get some input from an opponent who played with her since they were 10, and a coach who recruited her, as just one example. These are actually working meetings for media members that happen to be broadcast. And at the point she complained, she had just got a question about Baylor!!! :rolleyes:

It's not hard to take your word on this, still, make an appointment for an interview. This is recorded media for dissemination and as such was a pre-game exercise in humiliation.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Just hope the girls enjoy playing and their time during the tournament. Its hard work, but I'd like to see that they have fun playing.
And yes, the Republic of Texas is still alive.☺ Some people still forget its not a country, but a state. Lol

Reaction Score
The interesting stuff about UConn starts at 12:15.

Reaction Score
I kinda liked what she said. Women has spunk! Ask me about my team damn it!

I mean, how many times do you have to ask an opponent how good UCONN is, and how does it feel to have to play them again ? As a Huge Husky fan , I was even cringing at the questions being asked ! When I saw the bracket, my first reaction was, someone thinks that they might slow huskies down with Texas and Baylor , back to back. Give Mulkey one week to prepare after watching Uconn vs. Texas film. We shall see !

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Finally! Hopefully this practice will carry forward to future pressers. It's not rocket science.
may be just the tourney... regular teams don't have the cash for an extended boom

Reaction Score
I loved the the coach's response when asked if her team was looking past UCONN because they are so anxious to play Baylor again. She replied, what is this, April Fools or something. She seemed stunned that anyone would ask such a dumb question. Look past UCONN, really?

That question is at the 22m mark of the press conference. The reporter doesn't begin by introducing himself. When Coach Aston says "Ohh Rick" after the 4/1 remark, I think you can make some assumptions.

It's probably, Rick Cantu American-Statesman Staff, the newspaper that comes up searching Austin Texas. I'll guess that this is supposed to be a tension breaker and you can infer how wound up the coach is by her response: she knows it's funny but she really can't laugh. I also thought that after watching the post semi final press conference.

Texas is 31-4 this year but they had trouble with UCLAs post quickness and we know what happened last year and on Saturday. I hope they compete in the regional final. I'm not carnac ;), but I think Coach Aston will be relieved if her squad competes.

Here's a link to an article on pre-UConn Jeffereson by Cantu,
Davenport, Jefferson build hoops bond in Texas
The recruiting mavens probably knew MoJeff's 2nd and 3rd choices, but I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom