Texas OLmen to get 50k each | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas OLmen to get 50k each

Reaction Score
Why did they choose linemen?
From the article:
... coach Steve Sarkisian has identified the offensive line as a key recruiting area.
and from ESPN:
Since 2010, Texas has had just two offensive linemen drafted, Connor Williams in the second round in 2018 and Sam Cosmi in the second round this year.

Reaction Score
Were non-P5s going to be competing for recruits with Texas before NIL?

Texas is one of 65 P4/5 schools. Are you suggesting that of the 900+ OL in P4/5 no one was ever in our sights? Now the top 250 OL each year may be out of reach due to the moneyline. At one time there WAS competition for recruits. Are every member of the TX OL top ten in the nation? If not now, they might be. Wait for the other schoos to step up.

Reaction Score
Texas is one of 65 P4/5 schools. Are you suggesting that of the 900+ OL in P4/5 no one was ever in our sights? Now the top 250 OL each year may be out of reach due to the moneyline. At one time there WAS competition for recruits. Are every member of the TX OL top ten in the nation? If not now, they might be. Wait for the other schoos to step up.
There are very few P5 schools that are going to be able to offer this kind of money so the premise of your argument is wrong. What Texas boosters can offer is not indicative of what mid-low P5s can offer. And at the end of the day, this is targeted at getting top O-line recruits. Non-P5 teams weren’t going to be competing for them regardless. This may shift some of these guys from mid-P5 to the programs with that kind of money.

Reaction Score
So if I win powerball this week can I basically bankroll UConn athletics and ensure each of the major sports get some of the best recruits in the country via this new setup?
If true, it just shows you what a joke this is.
Also if true, I will do it

Reaction Score
So if I win powerball this week can I basically bankroll UConn athletics and ensure each of the major sports get some of the best recruits in the country via this new setup?
Yes it's true... and best of luck.

Reaction Score
This should be interesting: a bunch of 18yr old males with 50k.

If you invested in Austin bars with exotic dancers, I think you just hit the jackpot.

Reaction Score
Isnt it about time to award an honorary degree to Jeff Bezos?

Reaction Score
This is because the courts decided a college education had a dollar value of zero.
No, it’s because the value the athletes provide the university far outstrips the value of their education. It is also because it is ridiculous that players couldn’t make money with their own face and name but the school could.

Reaction Score
This should be interesting: a bunch of 18yr old males with 50k.

If you invested in Austin bars with exotic dancers, I think you just hit the jackpot.
Have you never heard of an 18 year old with a full time job? Maybe a tradesman?

And what’s really the difference in maturity between an 18 year old and a 21 year old with a newly minted college degree making 50k?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm not that worried about this...yet

Playing time is still a currency that cash itself doesn't fully replace for most athletes....or for those that really want to ball and ball at the next level.

Reaction Score
The tradesman is working 40 hard hours to pay for food/clothing/shelter.
For FB players, this is not directly tied to work and is almost all discretionary income.
And what’s really the difference in maturity between an 18 year old and a 21 year old with a newly minted college degree making 50k?
Uhhh, seriously?

Reaction Score

Uh, big difference. College athletes have room, board, healthcare, etc. taken care of with no out of pocket cost. This 50k (minus taxes) is pure WAM. The 18 year old tradesman making 50k probably has about 50 cents left after life expenses and taxes.

Reaction Score
And now the corruption starts.

Reaction Score
They generate revenue for their schools, they should be compensated as the market dictates.
Tuition also generates money for schools. They should have to pay their own way and give up the scholarship.

A person in my industry was equipment manager for 4 years at Florida. Worked 85 hours a week doing that along with doing their own class work and going to classes and paid their own way through college. Athletes already receive well over $60k/yr factoring in tuition,room, board, all the free gear, meals, books, school supplies, laptop,the list goes on. Yes they deserve to profit off their likeness but at this point they should learn a real life lesson and also pay their own way if they are receiving all those extra benefits

Reaction Score
Tuition also generates money for schools. They should have to pay their own way and give up the scholarship.

A person in my industry was equipment manager for 4 years at Florida. Worked 85 hours a week doing that along with doing their own class work and going to classes and paid their own way through college. Athletes already receive well over $60k/yr factoring in tuition,room, board, all the free gear, meals, books, school supplies, laptop,the list goes on. Yes they deserve to profit off their likeness but at this point they should learn a real life lesson and also pay their own way if they are receiving all those extra benefits
Agree. Nothing good is going to come from this. It will be an utter crap show of excess in no time.

Reaction Score
They generate revenue for their schools, they should be compensated as the market dictates.
Except the schools aren't the ones paying for their revenue generation. It's fans and alums. This has nothing to do with "market value". This is ego driven.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom