Texas grants TV rights to B-12 | The Boneyard

Texas grants TV rights to B-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We're starting to see equality in the Big12. That's bad, I think. I think it may mean that we'll be hearing some announcements soon pertaining to the addition of a couple of ACC teams, now that Texas has agreed to make the conference more than a one-school conference. I hear the drums beating again...

Reaction Score
I think it puts the ball in ND's court if they want to join a conference,they're going to have to play fair

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ehhh.

Just another contract that they'll void like all the other college teams have been doing the past 3 years.

Can someone give me an example of a conference association contract or TV contract that was upheld or enforced that prevented a college from screwing over their existing colleagues so they can join another group?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
ehhh.

Just another contract that they'll void like all the other college teams have been doing the past 3 years.

Can someone give me an example of a conference association contract or TV contract that was upheld or enforced that prevented a college from screwing over their existing colleagues so they can join another group?

In terms of waiting periods, that's certainly true. But is there an example of someone breaking a contract when tv rights were granted? (Maybe, I just don't know the answer). Perhaps we will see that with the ACC members soon, I suspect. Still, you make a good point. Nobody seems to be good to their word in the NCAA anymore...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
But is there an example of someone breaking a contract when tv rights were granted? (Maybe, I just don't know the answer).
What if, in the conference they leave for, the rights to conference games are the property of the conference and not the institution? Maybe the big12 gets some nonconference ROI (but not tier 3), but are they really going to take pac12 or b1g conference game tv revenue on texas's behalf?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What if, in the conference they leave for, the rights to conference games are the property of the conference and not the institution? Maybe the big12 gets some nonconference ROI (but not tier 3), but are they really going to take pac12 or b1g conference game tv revenue on texas's behalf?

This is a question best left to someone who understands the legal aspect of the tv business (I'm not saying you don't understand it, but I sure as hell don't). To be honest, I just don't know how binding the grant of tv rights is or what the ramifications of breaking the contract are. There may even be further complications if one is dealing with a state school rather than a private school, where the ultimate payer is the taxpayer. States are exempt from certain things, and.....like I said, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This is a question best left to someone who understands the legal aspect of the tv business (I'm not saying you don't understand it, but I sure as hell don't). To be honest, I just don't know how binding the grant of tv rights is or what the ramifications of breaking the contract are. There may even be further complications if one is dealing with a state school rather than a private school, where the ultimate payer is the taxpayer. States are exempt from certain things, and.....like I said, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff.
I'm taking a guess and I don't have a legal background. However, there were more than a couple of lawyers who said that WVU wouldn't get out of the 27 month waiting period and we know how that went down. My trust of these conference-specific contracts is fairly low at this point. I expect the GoR to be challenged at some point in the next decade or so, it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Reaction Score
We're starting to see equality in the Big12. That's bad, I think. I think it may mean that we'll be hearing some announcements soon pertaining to the addition of a couple of ACC teams, now that Texas has agreed to make the conference more than a one-school conference. I hear the drums beating again...

How is that bad? Perhaps FSU and Clemson bolting opens the door for UConn to get into the ACC. I'd love them being in a conference with UNC, NC State, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Miami and the for Big East traitors. How nice would that be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom