Terrence Samuel Will Wait Until Fall to Start Classes at UConn | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel Will Wait Until Fall to Start Classes at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like any kid coming out of nyc has issues with ncaa

Reaction Score
Intersting blurb about Purvis. He was cleared by the NCAA to play as a freshman but Uconn is now checking to make sure the NCAA was correct in clearing him?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll go on a limb and say nothing good can come out of this.

The whole point of bringing the freshmen in during the summer is to acclimate them to the environment and get in a few classes so they can lighten the classload during the season. This is a double hit. He doesn't get acclimated and he now has a heavier classload than the rest of the team.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I think everyone is making too big of a deal about this. The kid will be a 4 year player so he will have 4 years to graduate. I'm sure he'll take a bunch of summer classes in the future. Not an issue until we hear there's one

Reaction Score
How hard can it be to collar the guidance counselor and get whatever resolved?

And let the kid take the courses this summer already.

Reaction Score
I think everyone is making too big of a deal about this. The kid will be a 4 year player so he will have 4 years to graduate. I'm sure he'll take a bunch of summer classes in the future. Not an issue until we hear there's one
I think he means that if a player doesn't take 2-3 summer classes, than he will have to 4-5 classes each semester to stay in good academic standing. Kentucky has kids take 3-4 classes over the summer and a winter class or 2 so they can get in 8 over the course of a year without taking spring semester classes or taking 5 during the beginning of the season. it will just mean TS will have to study like a normal student, which hopefully he is capable of doing.

Reaction Score
How hard can it be to collar the guidance counselor and get whatever resolved?

And let the kid take the courses this summer already.

A lot of times it isn't the school he is coming from that is the problem, rather it is the NCAA that is taking its sweet time with stuff. The NCAA receives transcripts from high schools pretty quickly after the school year is over but what they do with them is entirely on their schedule.

Reaction Score
I hope they get any potential Purvis issues sorted out during a year he can't play anyway.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I think he means that if a player doesn't take 2-3 summer classes, than he will have to 4-5 classes each semester to stay in good academic standing. Kentucky has kids take 3-4 classes over the summer and a winter class or 2 so they can get in 8 over the course of a year without taking spring semester classes or taking 5 during the beginning of the season. it will just mean TS will have to study like a normal student, which hopefully he is capable of doing.

IIRC you have to be taking at least 12 credits each semester to be considered a full-time student.

Since TS is definitely going to be here 4 years, he definitely doesn't have to rush, given he has 3 summers and 4 winters. Kemba graduated in just 3 years.

Reaction Score
If we didnt go through the APR mess, all of this probably wouldnt be an issue. I just think the administration is being extra careful with all of this just to be safe. I have no problem with any of that so there are no surprises.

Reaction Score
IIRC you have to be taking at least 12 credits each semester to be considered a full-time student.

Since TS is definitely going to be here 4 years, he definitely doesn't have to rush, given he has 3 summers and 4 winters. Kemba graduated in just 3 years.

do you have to take 12+ credits both semesters to be eligible for the basketball team though? or do you just have to be a student at the school? I wonder because there are players who red shirt and take classes for 5 years including summers, but don't graduate on time or at all. I thought it was because they took light class loads during the season and didn't keep on pace even with 5 years. Either that or they fail a lot of classes and don't get the credits.

Reaction Score
It's 6 credits per semester. By end of second year, s-a needs 40%of credits needed for graduating.

Reaction Score
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Eligibility/Remaining Eligible
In Division I, student-athletes must complete 40 percent of the coursework required for a degree by the end of their second year. They must complete 60 percent by the end of their third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year. Student-athletes are allowed five years to graduate while receiving athletically related financial aid. All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom