Tennessee @ Stanford - 12/21/17 (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tennessee @ Stanford - 12/21/17 (merged thread)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Tara at least should be happy that this undermanned, under talented team competed for 40 mins. without ever hanging their heads. Their body language was good to the end.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tennessee a +20 at the foul line is about all you need to know.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ha! A blind man could see how bad we’re getting cheated out of some of these calls!
I'm not blind and I can't see it. Man, if some UCONN fans are critical of the way UCONN is playing, what are Tennessee fans thinking about their team? They still don't look good. However, they have beaten every team they have played.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Give a lot of credit to Stanford..they outplayed tennessee in the second half and really dominated the boards. If not for all the missed free throws and turnovers, stanford could have won this game

Tennessee gave up drive after drive. That has to be concerning, especially when they go up against Mississippi st..

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stanford: 11 of 22 from the foul line. That was basically the difference.

It's as if Shaquille O'Neal took all of Stanford's free throws.

That and Tennessee got 36 attempts. They lead the nation by a wide margin in that category.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm not blind and I can't see it. Man, if some UCONN fans are critical of the way UCONN is playing, what are Tennessee fans thinking about their team? They still don't look good. However, they have beaten every team they have played.
Tennessee fans by and large don't care about quality of play. All they care about is that they're winning. Not a well-informed fan base, on the whole. (Some individual exceptions notwithstanding, including some of those who post here :))

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That and Tennessee got 36 attempts. They lead the nation by a wide margin in that category.
To be fair, a lot of those attempts were in the last couple minutes when Stanford was fouling on purpose.

Reaction Score
Tara at least should be happy that this undermanned, under talented team competed for 40 mins. without ever hanging their heads. Their body language was good to the end.

Stanford played 12 compared to 8 for Tennessee ;)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Stanford has had a couple of good recruiting classes, but don't see any of their recruits as players that could dominate other teams. They need to sign players like the Oguwmike sisters, Candice Wiggins etc. They need an Elite Player(s).

They already have elite recruits (5 McDonald's AA in the last 2 recruiting classes). Other Pac 12 teams are starting to get more talent now. I think the days of them winning the league every year are OVER. Oregon St. has won 3 in a row and I'll just about guarantee you Stanford isn't winning it this year. They lose McPhee after the season, who looks like by far and away their best player.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford has had a couple of good recruiting classes, but don't see any of their recruits as players that could dominate other teams. They need to sign players like the Oguwmike sisters, Candice Wiggins etc. They need an Elite Player(s).

They need Wiggins or Ogwumike type of players to win the Pac 12 or to be National Championship contenders? Who else in the Pac 12 has those type of players currently or ever has? If Stanford needs clearly superior talent to win the conference, then maybe Tara isn't as good of a coach as her reputation suggests. How many elite players has Scott Rueck had?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'll give some credit to several Stanford players who stepped up and played better in the 2nd half--Sniezek, Fingall and Dodson.

The Cardinal have now lost 2 in a row, both at home, one to an unranked mid major. They are 6-6 on the season. They HAVE to drop out of the polls now. If they don't, we can clearly determine all of the pollsters are completely asleep at the wheel.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Congrats. You beat a team that lost to Western Illinois.
But it is a good win for them. These freshman finally got a taste of what a well structured, disciplined team will do: force them to dribble into length, make them play half court, make them move on defense, and find who they really need to depend on when their shot ain't falling. They saw a team that made them run through, over and around different screens, they learned somewhat how to watch for back cuts, how important it is to box out, how important it is to get good post entries, how important composure is, and a lot more man.

Remember, this is a team, as Orangutan said, that has been beating teams on athleticism alone. Today they were taught some lessons on what to do when a lesser athletic team forces you to do something else. This is a good win for a very young, talented team against a team that has had their number for years. Believe me, there are a lot more lessons they're going to have to learn. Now we'll see if these lessons will take, because if they don't this team loses in the 2nd round of The Dance. If they get it, if some players learn they're not all Michael Jordan's, if some of these talented players get the fact that their role is doing the dirty work that is needed, that more than 1 or 2 passes in the offensive zone can get you easy buckets, that a 6'6" post needs to be fed, well, they might make the E8 this year. Honestly, if Stanford could shoot foul shots and had just a little game from the arc, this game would have been far different. They're going to meet that team, and soon, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember, this is a team, as Orangutan said, that has been beating teams on athleticism alone. Today they were taught some lessons on what to do when a lesser athletic team forces you to do something else. This is a good win for a very young, talented team against a team that has had their number for years. Believe me, there are a lot more lessons they're going to have to learn. Now we'll see if these lessons will take, because if they don't this team loses in the 2nd round of The Dance. If they get it, if some players learn they're not all Michael Jordan's, if some of these talented players get the fact that their role is doing the dirty work that is needed, that more than 1 or 2 passes in the offensive zone can get you easy buckets, that a 6'6" post needs to be fed, well, they might make the E8 this year. Honestly, if Stanford could shoot foul shots and had just a little game from the arc, this game would have been far different. They're going to meet that team, and soon, so we'll see.

Tenn beat Stanford just last year. Both teams have defended their home courts well.

Reaction Score
Only1coj wrote A blind man could see how we are getting cheated------- "donalddoowop, responds and says "I'm not blind and I can't see it". Objective analysis would thus lead us to conclude that only a blind man can see that Tenn was being cheated. Therefore, it must also hold that if you could not see they were being cheated it would indicate that you are not blind.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
But it is a good win for them. These freshman finally got a taste of what a well structured, disciplined team will do: force them to dribble into length, make them play half court, make them move on defense, and find who they really need to depend on when their shot ain't falling. They saw a team that made them run through, over and around different screens, they learned somewhat how to watch for back cuts, how important it is to box out, how important it is to get good post entries, how important composure is, and a lot more man.

Stanford did shoot foul shots. They needed to hit more of them. OT question JordyG: What well known Doo Wop group was named after the state of Connecticut?

Reaction Score
Only1coj wrote A blind man could see how we are getting cheated------- "donalddoowop, responds and says "I'm not blind and I can't see it". Objective analysis would thus lead us to conclude that only a blind man can see that Tenn was being cheated. Therefore, it must also hold that if you could not see they were being cheated it would indicate that you are not blind.
More importantly what the heck is happening to the BY we have grown to love? Actual sympathetic support for the Vols? Does our hard earned discuss of that putrid color orange soften with age? Come on all you long time BY posters, spew your vitriolic retorts! By the way, I have an issue with that 1000 win postgame activities. What was with that ridiculously ugly orange jacket they gave Geno. Somebody at the HOF made a pretty bonehead decision on that color.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This Tennessee team is now on Christmas break. The team starts SEC play next at Kentucky. I honestly thought going into the season at this point the team would be 10-2 or 9-3. At the start of the season. Tennessee was missing a lot of free throws. That's one area of improvement. I think Westbrook is improving. Nared is playing like a AA. I can't wait until the next game and see how the team does in SEC play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom