Tennessee parts ways with Kellie (Jolly) Harper [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tennessee parts ways with Kellie (Jolly) Harper [merged thread]

Reaction Score
What Strategy? Oh, you mean the one where 16 different players come and go via the portal to play for her in 4 years? That Strategy? Yeah, it's worked out great so far. Year 1, quite the season after 4 games, year 2-didn't qualify for any postseason play, Year 3 had a great regular season but lost in round 2 AT HOME to Colorado as a #3 seed, finally year 4, finished 7th in conference and made to the Sweet 16 with no signs of an offense or scheme. Keep in mind we don't know who will leave this year's team yet but my guess is at least 2.

So, keep whistling past the grave yard if you want to but I am full Ghostbusters gear!

In comparison to what's in place at TN, whatever she has going on, there's been progress every year. Fair to be skeptical, but highly doubt it's as dire as you lay it out here.

Reaction Score
It's trending that if the AD throws money at Dawn, she'll leave SC.
I personally don’t think Dawn Staley will leave SCAR, unless she’s retiring. Why? Because the AD there has given her everything she needs, and will ask for, and her players are also very well taken care of. Also, she’s brought a winning culture to the school, plus, she’s loved by the folks in South Carolina, so there’s no way she’ll leave there for Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Just waded through 25 pages of VolNation shock over this firing. :eek:

Most seemed to feel that though Kellie is a good person, it was time for a change in coach. Many also want to get away from hiring anyone that would be considered part of the "Summitt tree," and go after ("poach") a "big-time" hire.

This article has a suggested list of coaches that might consider the job:

Lady Vols basketball coaching candidates: 11 options to replace Kellie Harper

According to those 25 pages of VolNation, these are the people who should be considered for the job (a few of them are listed in the above article, which is why I listed it first). Reasons pro/con and availability will vary! In alphabetical order:
  • Courtney Banghart
  • Carla Berube
  • Bart Brooks
  • Kenny Brooks
  • Kim Caldwell
  • Cori Close
  • Nicki Collen
  • Megan Duffy
  • Lisa Fortier
  • Lindsay Gottlieb
  • Niele Ivey
  • Carolyn Kieger
  • Tina Langley
  • Lindy La Rocque
  • Jolette Law
  • Kara Lawson
  • Kevin McGuff
  • Yolett McPhee-McCuin
  • Molly Miller
  • Wes Moore
  • Teri Moren
  • Candace Parker
  • JR Payne
  • Tomeika Reed
  • Lynne Roberts
  • Scott Rueck
  • Vic Schaeffer
  • Karl Smesko
  • Dawn Staley
  • Kim Stephens
  • Jeff Walz
  • Brooke Wyckoff
For your discussion pleasure.....

Reaction Score
I liked Kelly, thought she almost pulled off the upset of the year against South Carolina.

There's plenty of open jobs, she'll land on her feet. Kara Lawson is the top choice considering her Tennessee ties though I think Tomekia Reed from JSU is worth a few looks.

Reaction Score
Just waded through 25 pages of VolNation shock over this firing. :eek:

Most seemed to feel that though Kellie is a good person, it was time for a change in coach. Many also want to get away from hiring anyone that would be considered part of the "Summitt tree," and go after ("poach") a "big-time" hire.

This article has a suggested list of coaches that might consider the job:

Lady Vols basketball coaching candidates: 11 options to replace Kellie Harper

According to those 25 pages of VolNation, these are the people who should be considered for the job (a few of them are listed in the above article, which is why I listed it first). Reasons pro/con and availability will vary! In alphabetical order:
  • Courtney Banghart
  • Carla Berube
  • Bart Brooks
  • Kenny Brooks
  • Kim Caldwell
  • Cori Close
  • Nicki Collen
  • Megan Duffy
  • Lisa Fortier
  • Lindsay Gottlieb
  • Niele Ivey
  • Carolyn Kieger
  • Tina Langley
  • Lindy La Rocque
  • Jolette Law
  • Kara Lawson
  • Kevin McGuff
  • Yolett McPhee-McCuin
  • Molly Miller
  • Wes Moore
  • Teri Moren
  • Candace Parker
  • JR Payne
  • Tomeika Reed
  • Lynne Roberts
  • Scott Rueck
  • Vic Schaeffer
  • Karl Smesko
  • Dawn Staley
  • Kim Stephens
  • Jeff Walz
  • Brooke Wyckoff
For your discussion pleasure.....

One name I haven’t seen that I’d be interested in is Carolyn Peck. I wonder if she’s ever thought about Coaching again or if she’s content with doing what she’s doing. She probably isn’t ideal because of her age, but her knowledge of the game is amazing.

Reaction Score
One name I haven’t seen that I’d be interested in is Carolyn Peck. I wonder if she’s ever thought about Coaching again or if she’s content with doing what she’s doing. She probably isn’t ideal because of her age, but her knowledge of the game is amazing.
lol
She failed at the Orlando WNBA team, and then failed at Florida.

SO BY ALL MEANS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HIRE HER, VOLS. :)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I liked Kelly, thought she almost pulled off the upset of the year against South Carolina.

There's plenty of open jobs, she'll land on her feet. Kara Lawson is the top choice considering her Tennessee ties though I think Tomekia Reed from JSU is worth a few looks.
Wasn't it said in the JSU related post game threads that Coach Reed's contract would expire on March 31st. If true, I wonder if she has a new contract in front of her?
I did see where she was interviewed by Tulane recently, so that might mean she's available.

Reaction Score
lol
She failed at the Orlando WNBA team, and then failed at Florida.

SO BY ALL MEANS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HIRE HER, VOLS. :)

That was almost 20 years ago, to be fair.

Reaction Score
I figured Harper would get one more season, even though I didn't think it would change the overall situation for UT.

Reaction Score
Wasn't it said in the JSU related post game threads that Coach Reed's contract would expire on March 31st. If true, I wonder if she has a new contract in front of her?
I did see where she was interviewed by Tulane recently, so that might mean she's available.
Yes, I believe it expired Sunday and with Geno's endorsement in the post presser, she's getting traction for a number of positions

Reaction Score
maybe shea or carla will go to the vols rescue! :D
It's Kara's if she wants it. She can coach and recruit. If she does that take out Duke for Sarah Strong. If she loves Kara I doubt she follows Kara to the rebuild project that TN is. They are also not the academic school her final 3 are and that is important to her.

Reaction Score
That was almost 20 years ago, to be fair.
And you think she's gotten better in the subsequent 20 years by not coaching?

Oh wait, she did coach as an assistant for a whopping 2 years in Stephanie White's horrific tenure at Vandy.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Side note--I'm happy to see KJH is getting a nice pay day with her buyout. She's a Tennessee legend and gave it her best shot even if it wasn't enough to bring Tennessee back to glory. According to this she'll get 550k/year for the next 4 years. Wish her the best of luck.

Reaction Score
Actually she’s coached 4 wnba draft players. Counting Rickea, Rennia, Rae, and Jordan and in that span she’s gone 12 and 37 against ranked opponents. I don’t know if you guys caught many games but man they were hard to watch sometimes. Fundamentals were not present. Offensive sets non-existent. Defense they played whenever they felt like it. Hardly any adjustments after halftime. When her team is getting ran out the gym, Kellie is on the sideline squatting looking lost. Didn’t help that she went home with 3 timeouts most nights either.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
  • Courtney Banghart
OH PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN. I will help her pack.
6a00d8341cdd0d53ef010536c844f7970b-600wi.jpg

Reaction Score
Coach Yo would make an interesting hire. I think she has maxed out at Ole Miss and she is struggling to get their fanbase to care about the sport. Coach Yo with the UT brand behind her could be a home run hire.

Reaction Score
I figured Harper would get one more season, even though I didn't think it would change the overall situation for UT.
I think she would have if they would’ve gotten pass NC STATE. That bracket was so favorable for UT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom