Tennessee - just wow... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tennessee - just wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't need the app. Click your username profile in the top right. Then select 'Preferences' out of the pop down list. Under the style drop down box, select 'Mobile Style'. It probably says 'Default' or 'A&O' right now. The board will be much easier to read.

Sorry for helping the enemy. I figured some others might want this.

So instead of debating any of my valid points, you would rather just not try...NICE!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What makes you think that her recruiting has been strong? While she has definitely landed some good players, a few of whom are ranked highly, she has yet to land an IMPACT player. From my viewpoint, the true impact players have avoided committed to the LV's like the plague ever since the PHS coached LV teams started sliding in their performance.
Well ... Russell was rated #1 - is she an impact player, don't know. Graves is a really good player, do you count her as a Pat recruit? TN is a top five talented team at the moment and it is early in HW's tenure so hard to say, but if you get a top five player most years in recruiting, and you can coach a bit you should stay in the top 10 range - if Holly does that, then it becomes harder to move her out was all I was saying. We will see.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ummm - so lets play ... Massnegale with 4-13 (1-4), 4 assists and 4 TOs or maybe Carter at 2-8 (1-3) 0 assists 2 TOs, or Reynolds 0-2 (0-1) 1 assist 0 TOs more minutes? Just not sure there is a better option. I think it is a problem with the TN offense or lack there of. Guards got 4 assists to post or forwards in the game inside the 3 point line (one more assist on Burdick's 3 pt shot), the last one coming with 18+ minutes remaining in the game. They claim to have this fantastic front court, but no one from coaches to players seems concerned to try and get them the ball. I really like Graves, but if she doesn't get rebounds she doesn't see the ball. And the heralded freshman center got ONE shot in the game.

The TN problems aren't hard to diagnose. They have two guards who like to shoot much more than they like to pass. And they are not dead eye shooters. I'm not sold on them being coachable either. The result is as you see on TV.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So instead of debating any of my valid points, you would rather just not try...NICE!

Did you misfire (ie directed at someone else)? Or am I just missing the point?

Reaction Score
I can honestly say this....I love CHW and all she has done for Tenn...I mean she was there for all 8 championships but that was as an ASSISTANT...assistants dont always translate well into a head coach..at the time I wasn't an advocate for CHW to tale the position but I could certainly understand Pat wanting her to be her successor BUT IMHO they should have looked to bring in another big name...she just doesn't possess that FIRE of a good head coach....There defense is still mediocre....still no FLUID offense...Tenn has been running the "HORN" play for geesh all my life it seems...we need more offensive movement and sets...more moving with their feet on defense and not making sloppy tired fouls.....CHW HAS to toughen up and evolve or we will be a mediocre team for years to come DESPITE our great talent!
I don't think Pat Summitt was the type of person to groom a replacement. She chose assistants who are good followers. It was Pat and only Pat who was in the limelight.

It's a very insular culture at Tennessee and nepotism is the rule. Therefore, it was only natural that Holly would be Pat's successor. I believe that Holly is merely a placeholder. Once Tyler Summitt gains enough coaching experience to avoid severe criticism, he will be named Head Coach.

What UT doesn't realize is that the Lady Vols will only benefit from Pat's aura for a limited amount of time before being considered just another team, the next Louisiana Tech. I believe Tennessee does not see this looming disaster, the erosion of their stature. Staying at the top is critical for Tennessee, because the University does not have a lot of other benefits that would attract recruits. The school is always on the list of ugliest college campuses, weather, academics, etc. It's no Stanford.

My point is, there is little time to waste in getting a top notch coach. Certainly, money is not a problem except the new administration seems not to be interested in spending it on women's basketball.

For these reasons, this is a critical year for the LVs. Something must be done. Time is running out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think Pat Summitt was the type of person to groom a replacement. She chose assistants who are good followers. It was Pat and only Pat who was in the limelight.

It's a very insular culture at Tennessee and nepotism is the rule. Therefore, it was only natural that Holly would be Pat's successor. I believe that Holly is merely a placeholder. Once Tyler Summitt gains enough coaching experience to avoid severe criticism, he will be named Head Coach.

What UT doesn't realize is that the Lady Vols will only benefit from Pat's aura for a limited amount of time before being considered just another team, the next Louisiana Tech. I believe Tennessee does not see this looming disaster, the erosion of their stature. Staying at the top is critical for Tennessee, because the University does not have a lot of other benefits that would attract recruits. The school is always on the list of ugliest college campuses, weather, academics, etc. It's no Stanford.

My point is, there is little time to waste in getting a top notch coach. Certainly, money is not a problem except the new administration seems not to be interested in spending it on women's basketball.

For these reasons, this is a critical year for the LVs. Something must be done. Time is running out.
Interesting take, but I think it will take a long time for the infrastructure that Pat built to become obsolete and that is a big part of the battle in remaining relevant if not at the top. Facilities and budget will remain strong.

Reaction Score
Yeah with their recruiting..... credit where credit is due with Mercedes.... she still has to develop..... skill wise and either hustle wise or stamina wise..... (gotta get back on defense and not be pedestrian)....I hope she gets there and has a fine college career......

It seems that in Pat's last few years she was recruiting athletes..... and not necessarily savvy players who see the system and how they can be part of the plan.... It is like the shoot 'em out Wild West.....

LVs have some studs up front but if guard play is this undisciplined..... well..... what is the long term hope...... I have changed my mind on UT chances to make FF..... I think it is quite possible ..... but now because of LV prowess, but because of relative weakness of the other teams.....

Reaction Score
Did you misfire (ie directed at someone else)? Or am I just missing the point?

You are fostering, an accomplice if you will, to the point I was making. Why give them the easy way out when you can make them mentality tougher and better posters. Geno would be disappointed in your approach.

Reaction Score
On the coaching issue.... I think PHS deserves credit for the tree branch of coaches she has mentored..... Good job there....

On the cynical side I think it is interesting that when it was apparent Pat was stepping aside, the clamor in LV nation was for a woman head coach..... in fact most on The Summit heralded the distinction between other top programs with male HC and LVs .... who should always be coached, it was noted, by a woman....

That is, unless her name is Tyler Summit.... Then the principles change

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You are fostering, an accomplice if you will, to the point I was making. Why give them the easy way out when you can make them mentality tougher and better posters. Geno would be disappointed in your approach.

Lol. Hopefully it helps out a few of the usual crew around here as well. Strengthens the defense and such.

Reaction Score
I would have glady talked about Holly's coaching until you said this.......I'm not a softie and I don't mind a good debate or disgruntled agreements but I didn't come here to be mocked or talked about.....How does the ignore button work?!?!
Same way as the close your account button, give it a try. This is a Uconn board you are welcome to post but the gloves are off when it comes to your beloved and flawed Lady Vols.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah with their recruiting..... credit where credit is due with Mercedes.... she still has to develop..... skill wise and either hustle wise or stamina wise..... (gotta get back on defense and not be pedestrian)....I hope she gets there and has a fine college career......

It seems that in Pat's last few years she was recruiting athletes..... and not necessarily savvy players who see the system and how they can be part of the plan.... It is like the shoot 'em out Wild West.....

LVs have some studs up front but if guard play is this undisciplined..... well..... what is the long term hope...... I have changed my mind on UT chances to make FF..... I think it is quite possible ..... but now because of LV prowess, but because of relative weakness of the other teams.....
I actually think one of Geno's real strengths and one of Pat's real weaknesses was in the difference in recruiting philosophy. Geno has almost always been very selective in the players he recruits, making sure they fit his system and team concepts, and that there is not a log jam at any position. Pat always seemed to me to just recruit talent regardless of style or team make-up so she often ended up with too many forwards centers and not enough guards.

Reaction Score
I actually think one of Geno's real strengths and one of Pat's real weaknesses was in the difference in recruiting philosophy. Geno has almost always been very selective in the players he recruits, making sure they fit his system and team concepts, and that there is not a log jam at any position. Pat always seemed to me to just recruit talent regardless of style or team make-up so she often ended up with too many forwards centers and not enough guards.
Bingo and the problem persists today. Pat said get me bigs who can rebound and put back. Geno said you can never have enough guards, who do you think gets the ball to where it needs to go!

Reaction Score
Bingo and the problem persists today. Pat said get me bigs who can rebound and put back. Geno said you can never have enough guards, who do you think gets the ball to where it needs to go!
Holly listened to Pat! LOL

Reaction Score
It has to be discouraging for a player like Graves who played with a great cast in the under 19 worlds, where everyone played as a team, both on defense, and offense. She was one of the best players on the floor today, and almost an afterthought in the offense of the Tennessee team. It seems the guards on Tennessee have the opinion, I'll get mine, and you can pickup the crumbs afterwards. Its hard to become a great frontcourt player if you never see the ball.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It has to be discouraging for a player like Graves who played with a great cast in the under 19 worlds, where everyone played as a team, both on defense, and offense. She was one of the best players on the floor today, and almost an afterthought in the offense of the Tennessee team. It seems the guards on Tennessee have the opinion, I'll get mine, and you can pickup the crumbs afterwards. Its hard to become a great frontcourt player if you never see the ball.

Graves took 9 shots and made 6 hitting 2/3rds
Simmons and Massengale made 9 shots out of 31, less than 1/3

Is something (not) rotten in the state…???

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It seems the guards on Tennessee have the opinion, I'll get mine, and you can pickup the crumbs afterwards. Its hard to become a great frontcourt player if you never see the ball.
More like 'your job is to collect all the misses from these really ill advised shots I am going to be taking.'. Looks sort of like the pre game shoot around where guards are bombing away and bigs are standing under the basket retrieving the balls and feeding them back out.

So ... having panned the guards for a while ... I wonder why Chiney has not developed her outside game at all - she had a monster game tonight, but besides free throws I don't think she did anything other than layups. (And WHY does a TN center fall for a shot fake by Chiney at the top of the key allowing her then to drive past for the uncontested layup? Let her chuck from distance until she makes two.)

Reaction Score
Had great fun at the game and glad I was wrong about predicting we'd lose by 10. Chiney was HUGE.

Reaction Score
Stunning fact from Michelle Smith's game story on ESPN. The Vols have not won a road game against a top 10 opponent in the 5 1/2 years since they won their last NC. That kind of stat does not bode well for FF aspirations.

I was shocked by that as well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

They don't realize it because they keep landing top level recruits. Like it or not, it was Holly who landed Russell. I'm unimpressed with their 2014 class, even tho some of their fans hail Nared as a star with as much potential as Russell (albeit a different type of player). And it was Holly who managed to get into Wilson's final 4. IF they miss out on A'ja, a LOT will depend on how they fare in 2015.

Just my opinion - i have no inside scoop, but i've not really seen them highly linked with any of the top players in that class. And I'm referring to the top kids remaining - Durr, Samuelson, Collier and Lambert.

Tennessee is fine for right now. Carter, Graves and Russell are the cream of their last 3 classes (including 2014) and a very good core to build around. But Wilson in 2014 and 2015 are very important for them. They think they have a great shot at Dangerfield, an elite PG from 2016, but a couple of "average" classes could indeed push them well out of the top 10 by the time she were to get to campus...

Reaction Score
More like 'your job is to collect all the misses from these really ill advised shots I am going to be taking.'. Looks sort of like the pre game shoot around where guards are bombing away and bigs are standing under the basket retrieving the balls and feeding them back out.

So ... having panned the guards for a while ... I wonder why Chiney has not developed her outside game at all - she had a monster game tonight, but besides free throws I don't think she did anything other than layups. (And WHY does a TN center fall for a shot fake by Chiney at the top of the key allowing her then to drive past for the uncontested layup? Let her chuck from distance until she makes two.)

We've been through this, Chiney is the best rebounder and power foward in the country, and we have no other decent posts, so Tara goes with her strengths. I was sitting close at the game, Chiney's baskets were a lot tougher and more than lay-ups.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Is there any reason other than "DNP - Coach's Decision" that neither Bonnie nor Karly Samuelson played at all vs. Tennessee?

Injury? Illness? Has Tara simply lost confidence in them? Or were they sitting in the stands with Mom and Dad and Katie Lou?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The (hands down) best front court in the country was out-rebounded 43-40.
And it was down by about 7 rebounds going into TN's late surge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom