Tenn v UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tenn v UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Essentially correct.

There is an FBI division that deals with theft of intellectual property. It would have zero interest in a Boneyarder inadvertently posting copyrighted material (that should have been, but was not, password-protected for then-premium Summitt users), being more concerned with things like Chinese theft of U.S. trade secrets, but it does have a convenient online complaint-filing site.

A complaint briefly filed there in the heat of something or another was withdrawn in favor of a little simple inter-mod communication and removal of the proprietary material from the BY.

thanks. Could not remember the particulars except the name of the Boneyarder "involved"

Reaction Score
Well, either we play them or we don't. Publicly asking for an apology is over the top. It will not happen. They and US do not need the oneanother. In some strange ways it has some of the features to be found in the Uconn - BC standoff.

Reaction Score
Personally I'm more forgiving, especially given what has happened with Summit. I understand that one symptom of that disease is paranoia and that my have played a part. It's definitely not the type of thing they would want to appologize for or use as an excuse. Assuming the schedule hasn't been filled out, I would think the game would be good for women's basketball. It seems reasonable to give them a chance similar to what Pat gave Geno in '95. Maybe it should be left for the players to vote on, since they weren't around when bad feelings got so deep. The player's may want that challenge.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I forgave Germans for the holocaust.
I can much more easily forgive a pre-demented Pat for any over-indulgence and loco accusations.

Only the Boneyard and other UConn groups (and Geno) are keeping this feud alive, no one else gives a crap.
95% of the rest of WBB fans want to see the teams play (especially ESPN in whose interest it is to advance the game, which should be ours as well; even if we beat the crap out of them).

Play ball!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can much more easily forgive a pre-demented Pat for any over-indulgence and loco accusations.

Only the Boneyard and other UConn groups (and Geno) are keeping this feud alive, no one else gives a crap.
95% of the rest of WBB fans want to see the teams play (especially ESPN in whose interest it is to advance the game, which should be ours as well; even if we beat the crap out of them).

Play ball!
No matter how passionate we get at the end of the day we are talking about a game of basketball. Even a slight reference with the Holocaust is a little too dark for me. I belive Geno gives a crap about WCBB-definitely more than ESPN- and Geno is not holding on to this for himself more for the people that were wrongfully accused like Maya's mother. So I'm lining up with Geno all day every day on this issue. I've also grown fond of many Boneyarders so chances are I was going to be lining up with them anyway. So that would put me on Team #NOTW/U.

Reaction Score
When someone gets hurt deeply by the wrongdoing of another, they have the right to no longer interact with those who perpetuated the wrongdoing ... you can still forgive the opposing party regardless if you wish ... this does not mean that you must relate with them again ... Geno feels the Moore family were unjustifiably treated disparagingly, so much so that the hurt was ever so deep ... playing Tennessee without the apology for the wrong done to the Moore's sends a message that the game between UConn and Tenn is more important than the feelings of the Moore family - even after all these years ... we make choices as individuals as to what we will accept or not accept from another ...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When someone gets hurt deeply by the wrongdoing of another, they have the right to no longer interact with those who perpetuated the wrongdoing ... you can still forgive the opposing party regardless if you wish ... this does not mean that you must relate with them again ... Geno feels the Moore family were unjustifiably treated disparagingly, so much so that the hurt was ever so deep ... playing Tennessee without the apology for the wrong done to the Moore's sends a message that the game between UConn and Tenn is more important than the feelings of the Moore family - even after all these years ... we make choices as individuals as to what we will accept or not accept from another ...
It is post like these that make me wish the Boneyard had a Love button. Like is just not affectionate enough.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'd only want to play them if they were any good. The last few years, they didn't qualify to play us.

So, that's that!
Jim, by this standard "not good enough to play us" we would have eliminated many teams from our schedule. Louisville, Rutgers, Duke, Penn State, Maryland, Stanford???, South Carolina?? Who would have been good enough to play us since Stewie became Stewie?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Who needs whom at this point? It's quite clear.

The best top rivalry is clearly UConn v. Notre Dame. The second best may be UConn v. Stanford. South Carolina is trying to get into the conversation.

In terms of UConn v. Tennessee, this is not 1995 or even 2005. It would be an uninteresting historical vestige. If we were to play them and beat them by 30, the LVs will look like the Blue Devils (sorry to my Duke friends) and most other top 20 teams. The LVs have seen better days and haven't proven they are competitive with the Huskies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Truth is the vocal Vol fan base has not only perpetuated false accusations, but exaggerated them, and have continued a campaign of vituperative, out house vile crap about Geno. They can live in their swill, but we should not pay them or the program which encouraged that kind of vile crap any heed.

Reaction Score
Unless these two teams meet in the NCAA Tournament they will never play again while Geno is coach. Geno's reasonable demand for an apology places Coach Warlick in an untenable position. Essentially, she would have to apologize for something she didn't do. To compound the problem, she would have to apologize for something the legendary Coach Summit and the Tennessee administration did ... essentially calling them out. It can't happen.

I wonder if there could be a middle-ish ground. I wonder if Geno would accept something slightly less, a statement like "The University of Tennessee complained to the NCAA about alleged recruiting violations by the UConn women's basketball team. Those allegations were investigated by the NCAA and UConn was cleared of any wrongdoing. The University of Tennessee believes that the results of the NCAA investigation should be the last word on this matter and hopes that time has healed any wounds the allegations may have created."

Having said that I don't think that Geno cares if they ever play again. So they probably won't under his watch.
As a manager to be asked to apologize for another manager --should be the easiest thing in the world. But Holly was along side of Pat at the time. I don't know what input she may have had or didn't have--so that part is mute. But the onus was on Pat not Holly.

Your second paragraph will never fly with Geno or Uconn--it takes no responsibility for their actions of starting this "made up" assertion.

I suggest that Tenn do this: 1. Contact Geno off line out of the media/privately and offer that Holly or the Vols Administration will contact Maya Moore and her Mother, privately, and offer an apology. 2, If that is accepted, Holly and/or their Admin will offer to Geno and staff an apology privately. Holly and the Vols don't have to eat public crow, Geno, Staff, Maya and Mother will have the apology wanted--to me this is a Win Win Win (ESPN win). The public need not know, if the games begin again I'm sure we'll all realize some back door stuff was accomplished and Geno can smile after being immersed in the rare waters of apology success.

Reaction Score
Strange brew? "That's why all the folks 'round Rocky Top get their corn from a jar!"

Rocky top you'll always be
Bitter losers to me.
Poor ole rocky top,
Poppycock Tenn

Reaction Score

Play ball!
I will never forgive the NAZI'S for the holocaust or that generation of people who knew but didn't know (blinders). The generations born after 1950 I don't forgive because they need no forgiveness they were not part of it. I don't want anyone blamed for what their parent have done.
Inappropriate comment about the holocaust---Inappropriate answer, but the "devil made me do it".

Question for msf22b---Did the whole Tenn University Administration have dementia?? They forwarded the "made up" complaint.

JS

Reaction Score
Wrong, Michael. I gather you haven't followed the LV message boards, where a core group of fans have beat the "UConn cheats" drum for years. I've looked in on them for a week or so most summers (free trials). Not yet this year, but am sure if and when I do I'll come away with as much revulsion as ever.

These "fans" interminably carry on what PHS unwisely started and perpetuate the ultimate, unscrupulous (because never, ever, substantiated) sour grapes. I'd venture to say they are a major reason why many on this board simply won't forgive or forget.

We even had, in this thread, a discussion of an article by the chief mod of one of the boards, whom I used to think was a dormant possible solution to the endless libel-fest that goes on there (LV fans pay to read these mutterings?) but now would have to agree with those who've always maintained she's part of the problem.

The article took as its theme that Ms. Summitt, if not the greatest coach ever (hard case to make anymore) "did things the right way."

Lest there be any mistake about the innuendo, she made clear at one point in the article that this accolade was particularly as regards recruiting, and the concluding sentence of the article is the same "she did things the right way" claim.

Even a vol fan in the thread said every time relations seem to be getting better, this sort of thing stirs up the ill will again.

And, poignantly, I don't think the author understood how concentration on this theme actually demeans Ms. Summitt. It's as though a writer concluded a biography of Winston Churchill by saying, "And through it all, he never did jail time."

Move over, great accomplishments, and make room for agenda.

Reaction Score
Well I'm lining up with Geno too. The "Lady" Vols accused Maya and her mother of being obsessed with having some kind of foolish relationship with ESPN. Any women's team that still uses the term "ladies" should be banished to the Game of Thrones" kingdom. Really "Lady Vols" it's not the 1900's anymore. Get with the program. We are not ladies we are athletes!

Reaction Score
I say Geno do not play "the LADY Vols" until they apologize to Maya and her Mom.

Reaction Score
Personally I'm more forgiving, especially given what has happened with Summit. I understand that one symptom of that disease is paranoia and that my have played a part. It's definitely not the type of thing they would want to appologize for or use as an excuse. Assuming the schedule hasn't been filled out, I would think the game would be good for women's basketball. It seems reasonable to give them a chance similar to what Pat gave Geno in '95. Maybe it should be left for the players to vote on, since they weren't around when bad feelings got so deep. The player's may want that challenge.

Before 95 Pat (full mental state) said she'd play anyone anywhere. Did this help Uconn, I think so.
But the dementia of Pat is Pat's alone. Someone brought this "violations stuff to Pat. Pat and staff wrote a complaint, the complaint was forwarded to the Vols Administration, they in turn read it and blessed it and probably had their legal staff approve, then passed it along to the SEC who read it, approved it, probably had legal look at it, and sent it to the NCAA. And the rest is history.

Did the Vols Admin have Dementia or the SEC. Did they do due diligence in researching the validity of the complaint? Apparently not.

The whole world, at least as far as WBB went, thought and some still think Uconn cheats in all things associated with WBB.

I can forgive Pat for her dementia or the beginning of this horrible condition/disease. The Crime (as I see it) was validated and perpetuated by the whole of UT and the SEC and probably reveled in it. An apology is due--back door if necessary, but certainly due Maya, Geno, Staff and the AD.

Reaction Score
Well I'm lining up with Geno too. The "Lady" Vols accused Maya and her mother of being obsessed with having some kind of foolish relationship with ESPN. Any women's team that still uses the term "ladies" should be banished to the Game of Thrones" kingdom. Really "Lady Vols" it's not the 1900's anymore. Get with the program. We are not ladies we are athletes!
The Vols also accused DT and Sue Bird of using their STAR WNBA status to influence Maya by giving Maya a ride with these stars from the Airport to Uconn ( but both were in Europe playing BB at the time). ESPN alone was not the complaint.

I take exception to we are Athletes not Ladies---Ladies implies a level of class and decorum--that level more often than not fits Christine Dailey Ladies of the Uconn WBB team. They are definitely both.

Reaction Score
Well, either we play them or we don't. Publicly asking for an apology is over the top. It will not happen. They and US do not need the oneanother. In some strange ways it has some of the features to be found in the Uconn - BC standoff.
RIDICULOUS!!!! No matter what TENN did or said they are not evil enough to be compared to BC!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Long before I became a poster here I was a lurker and was of the opinion that the resumption of the Tenn. vs UCONN rivalry would be a good thing for WCBB. After reading more about the Tenn. false accusation & the investigations and the strong emotions by many of the poster I have changed my mind. The specific item that got me to change my mind was the intrusion of the FBI into the lives of some of many innocent UCONN fans in the name of Tenn. fandom. This is a bell that simply cannot be un-rung and although many (including Geno???) are insisting on an apology, an apology after all this time would only serve to reopen the wounds fresh. When the NCAA based on 22 pages of Tenn. false accusations found 1 secondary violation and published it’s findings would have been a perfect time for a Tenn. apology. Now it is time to move on along separate paths IMO.

I'm not sure of which side of the argument I am on---for playing or against. But an apology after all this time from the Vols Admin and Holly who was with Pat at the time--albeit privately would serve two or more purposes---Geno and staff and maybe Uconn Admin would feel vindicated and more importantly to ESPN, MONEY, and the Vols the games would resume. MONEY is a nice motivator. I suggest a non public/back door apology from UT at least offered. Humans (usually) can't hold onto a "mad" forever especially if being offered an apology by the offender--who recognizes they offended.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno has established that Tennessee will not be placed on the UConn schedule unless/until he receives an apology from Tennessee. Case closed.

JS

Reaction Score
The Vols also accused DT and Sue Bird of using their STAR WNBA status to influence Maya by giving Maya a ride with these stars from the Airport to Uconn ( but both were in Europe playing BB at the time).
FWIW, the Vols have always vehemently denied being the source of that accusation -- perhaps not coincidentally, the most ludicrous.

They suspect Andy Landers, (The supposed ride was in Atlanta, to the Naismith Award ceremony, not in CT.)

Have always been a bit amused by these protests. It's kind of like an accused serial killer of 23 people getting all indignant and saying "Hey, I didn't do #17, that's an outrageous accusation!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom