Tenn v UConn | The Boneyard

Tenn v UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Holly interviewed on Knoxville radio station and talked about playing UConn...

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams ·
Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick said she had verbal agreement with ESPN last year to play UConn but coach Geno Auriemma nixed the deal

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams
Warlick said she assumed Auriemma had agreed to the deal when ESPN approached her. ``Gene said he didn't need to play us,'' Warlick said.

No, Holly. ESPN does not speak for UConn.

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams
Added Warlick: `The last 2 years we should have played them but we didn't get there ... I'd like to get it done. It's out of my hands.'

I assume she's talking about meeting up with UConn at the Final Four. Uh, no. Not even close.

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams
Pat Summitt stopped the series over alleged UConn recruiting violations. When Warlick replaced Summitt 3 years ago, Warlick didn't (1/2)

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams
... want to play UConn, either, But Warlick talked to Summitt and they felt enough time had passed to renew the series

How magnanimous of them. I'm sure missing out on 7 straight final fours and watching UConn win 5 national championships during that time has nothing to do with feeling a need to play UConn. And they wonder why Geno doesn't want to play their sorry a$$es. That's a strange brew down there.

JS

Reaction Score
Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick said she had a verbal agreement with ESPN last year to play UConn but coach Geno Auriemma nixed the deal

01-Stop-Begging.png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The orange spin doctors have to be working overtime on this one!

Reaction Score
Remember when UConn had to ask them to play? My, how the times have changed - I love it!

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Tennessee isn't begging to play UConn, ESPN is begging both teams to play. They want the exposure.

Holly agreed to it twice, but both times, the deal fell through.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tennessee isn't begging to play UConn, ESPN is begging both teams to play. They want the exposure.

Holly agreed to it twice, but both times, the deal fell through.

Not exactly. Holly approached Geno at the WBHOF a few years ago and asked to resume the series (while buttering him up with mason jar wine glasses and a bottle of wine). Geno laid out the conditions (apology to Maya and her Mom) which Holly said she wouldn't meet. There never was a deal. ESPN then got involved and tried to arrange a game. Holly agreed and Geno didn't. The only deal was between Holly and ESPN.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not exactly. Holly approached Geno at the WBHOF a few years ago and asked to resume the series (while buttering him up with mason jar wine glasses and a bottle of wine). Geno laid out the conditions (apology to Maya and her Mom) which Holly said she wouldn't meet. There never was a deal. ESPN then got involved and tried to arrange a game. Holly agreed and Geno didn't. The only deal was between Holly and ESPN.
BOOM!!!

Reaction Score
Holly interviewed on Knoxville radio station and talked about playing UConn...

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams ·
Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick said she had verbal agreement with ESPN last year to play UConn but coach Geno Auriemma nixed the deal

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams
Warlick said she assumed Auriemma had agreed to the deal when ESPN approached her. ``Gene said he didn't need to play us,'' Warlick said.

No, Holly. ESPN does not speak for UConn.

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams
Added Warlick: `The last 2 years we should have played them but we didn't get there ... I'd like to get it done. It's out of my hands.'

I assume she's talking about meeting up with UConn at the Final Four. Uh, no. Not even close.

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams
Pat Summitt stopped the series over alleged UConn recruiting violations. When Warlick replaced Summitt 3 years ago, Warlick didn't (1/2)

Jimmy Hyams @JimmyHyams

... want to play UConn, either, But Warlick talked to Summitt and they felt enough time had passed to renew the series.

How magnanimous of them. I'm sure missing out on 7 straight final fours and watching UConn win 5 national championships during that time has nothing to do with feeling a need to play UConn. And they wonder why Geno doesn't want to play their sorry a$$es. That's a strange brew down there.

Geno has repeatedly told ESPN and the Vols that he will only restart the home and home with them--if they apologize, School and WBB coach. Geno doesn't need them. If Holly wants this--apologize, words hurt, word help--no words will get her nothing.
I had this great girl friend--torrid love affair, exhausting, we were deeply in love--I accused her of cheating (which she didn't do) --years later I apologized to deaf ears--she moved on I didn't. Just color me ORANGE.
What I love is the holyier than thou ---Pat has finally agree it would be good to play Uconn. Think about it, even in her demented state she can see how badly Tenn now needs the recruiting exposure the UConn game could bring.
But to be fair--Pat in her mentally and physically well state, agreed to play Uconn and that helped Uconn exposure way back when..

Reaction Score
When will people stop using "alleged" UConn violations and start saying "supposed" or even "made up"? The whole complaint was a wet dream of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade.

I'll only agree to the words---MADE UP. Alleged (legal) Supposed (Implies possible) . Pat maybe in the throes of pre-dementia probably heard something or believed she knew something---and told the SEC a story based upon a visit to ESPN, but the DT/Sue picking her up at the airport was pure and simple B.S. Made up. If Holly wants restoration then apologize--I don't think Geno expects her to do it on National TV
I will never apologize if I've never done anything of any consequence to a person--but this really isn't Holly's fight, so apologize.

Reaction Score
I wonder if this ongoing feud has anything to do with the UT football team putting the home and home series with UConn on hold last year?

Reaction Score
Unless these two teams meet in the NCAA Tournament they will never play again while Geno is coach. Geno's reasonable demand for an apology places Coach Warlick in an untenable position. Essentially, she would have to apologize for something she didn't do. To compound the problem, she would have to apologize for something the legendary Coach Summit and the Tennessee administration did ... essentially calling them out. It can't happen.

I wonder if there could be a middle-ish ground. I wonder if Geno would accept something slightly less, a statement like "The University of Tennessee complained to the NCAA about alleged recruiting violations by the UConn women's basketball team. Those allegations were investigated by the NCAA and UConn was cleared of any wrongdoing. The University of Tennessee believes that the results of the NCAA investigation should be the last word on this matter and hopes that time has healed any wounds the allegations may have created."

Having said that I don't think that Geno cares if they ever play again. So they probably won't under his watch.

Reaction Score
The problem with Tennessee is they were very vocal in accusing us for wrong doing that never happened. They could have stayed quite like most accusers, but they kept running to the media about it. We were the wronged party. Instead of apologizing they canceled the series with us and kept accusing us of wrongdoing. Now they still won’t apologize and are still acting like the wronged party. I hope we never play them again. It seems like it would just be a circus. We have nothing to gain (if we win big deal we know we’re better. if god forbid the beat us…). It would help them a lot to get back on the national stage, if the game never happens it is their problem not ours.

Reaction Score
"We tried to hurt them, and they left us in the dust. Now we need them, but they won't play us even though we refuse to admit we were wrong"
What Tennessee would say if they were honest, of course were they honest they wouldn't have blown up the series in the first place.

I hope Tennessee never wins another game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Long before I became a poster here I was a lurker and was of the opinion that the resumption of the Tenn. vs UCONN rivalry would be a good thing for WCBB. After reading more about the Tenn. false accusation & the investigations and the strong emotions by many of the poster I have changed my mind. The specific item that got me to change my mind was the intrusion of the FBI into the lives of some of many innocent UCONN fans in the name of Tenn. fandom. This is a bell that simply cannot be un-rung and although many (including Geno???) are insisting on an apology, an apology after all this time would only serve to reopen the wounds fresh. When the NCAA based on 22 pages of Tenn. false accusations found 1 secondary violation and published it’s findings would have been a perfect time for a Tenn. apology. Now it is time to move on along separate paths IMO.

Reaction Score
My opinion, but I would not play them either. I prefer playing any or all of these teams every year Stanford, Notre Dame and Baylor. Then throw in Oklahoma, South Carolina and any ACC team.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Long before I became a poster here I was a lurker and was of the opinion that the resumption of the Tenn. vs UCONN rivalry would be a good thing for WCBB. After reading more about the Tenn. false accusation & the investigations and the strong emotions by many of the poster I have changed my mind. The specific item that got me to change my mind was the intrusion of the FBI into the lives of some of many innocent UCONN fans in the name of Tenn. fandom. This is a bell that simply cannot be un-rung and although many (including Geno???) are insisting on an apology, an apology after all this time would only serve to reopen the wounds fresh. When the NCAA based on 22 pages of Tenn. false accusations found 1 secondary violation and published it’s findings would have been a perfect time for a Tenn. apology. Now it is time to move on along separate paths IMO.

As I recall there was only one that was "reported". I do believe that the FBI did not act on the complaint, thus giving it little credence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When will people stop using "alleged" UConn violations and start saying "supposed" or even "made up"? The whole complaint was a wet dream of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:

I swear I had nothing to do with it.

JS

Reaction Score
As I recall there was only one that was "reported". I do believe that the FBI did not act on the complaint, thus giving it little credence.
Essentially correct.

There is an FBI division that deals with theft of intellectual property. It would have zero interest in a Boneyarder inadvertently posting copyrighted material (that should have been, but was not, password-protected for then-premium Summitt users), being more concerned with things like Chinese theft of U.S. trade secrets, but it does have a convenient online complaint-filing site.

A complaint briefly filed there in the heat of something or another was withdrawn in favor of a little simple inter-mod communication and removal of the proprietary material from the BY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom