Team isn't as bad as we assume.. | The Boneyard

Team isn't as bad as we assume..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've been competitive in every game this year. We have a good defense, who is going to compete. Our special teams has improved. This team definately has weaknesses on the o-line, and overall talent level of back-ups ect. But this team also has talent, enough talent to at least have a winning season. Defensively, we have 3 solid pro prospects (Blidi, Moore, Williams, counting seniors only). Offensively, especially because of the line, we have 2 factors in our favor. (1) Whitmer is very accurate, he's improving and he can eat up yards if the play calling is smart. (2) Ryan Griffin- he should be the main target of our passing attack,( along with Davis). And I don't mean him running 5 yard out patterns. He is a complete mismstch in college football and he is a solid pro prospect. Why in the hell, they don't target him more I don't know. GD needs to call more play action on first down, and use griffin as the primary target downfield. Griffin should be targeted at least 8 times a game. This will open up the entire offense, he is a mismatch. and the safeties will have to help the linebackers to cover him. This will open up the running game, and the entire offense will benefit. As an offense, we have to play to our strengths.

Reaction Score
Good post. This team could beat anyone left on the schedule. Win this week and we're off. I'm not as down on P as the majority of the board. I am down on the play calling offensively, and injuries to our DE rotation has made a difference in our defense, but I believe in this group of seniors. These guys are going to rally and make this season memorable.

Reaction Score
The truth is we were competitive against all of our OOC games last year. If you look at the entirety of our OOC games under P they were pretty much all close games that we came out 50/50 on. That being said I like our chances a lot better now than I did going into BE play last year. Across the board I really like the talent we have. They haven't turned in the performances we'd like, but at least we saw what our offense can be if it's executed correctly.

When DeLeone is willing to throw the ball aggressively, we've done pretty well. Unfortunately that's only been for about a combined 3-4 quarters this year, but I think he did better as the year went on last year, and hopefully it was because he got better at understanding what we could do and he'll show a similar improvement this year. If he does I think we can have a season that will shelf any talk about who should be coaching here for a little while.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
We've been competitive in every game this year. We have a good defense, who is going to compete. Our special teams has improved. This team definately has weaknesses on the o-line, and overall talent level of back-ups ect. But this team also has talent, enough talent to at least have a winning season. Defensively, we have 3 solid pro prospects (Blidi, Moore, Williams, counting seniors only). Offensively, especially because of the line, we have 2 factors in our favor. (1) Whitmer is very accurate, he's improving and he can eat up yards if the play calling is smart. (2) Ryan Griffin- he should be the main target of our passing attack,( along with Davis). And I don't mean him running 5 yard out patterns. He is a complete mismstch in college football and he is a solid pro prospect. Why in the hell, they don't target him more I don't know. GD needs to call more play action on first down, and use griffin as the primary target downfield. Griffin should be targeted at least 8 times a game. This will open up the entire offense, he is a mismatch. and the safeties will have to help the linebackers to cover him. This will open up the running game, and the entire offense will benefit. As an offense, we have to play to our strengths.

I have to admit, as I read your post I slowly started sipping the Kool-Aid on tap.

The only thing that keeps me from sucking it down, top to bottom, is a 3-2 record and a roofie like offensive game plan and OC.

I'll continue to sip but like the thoughts of you, MattP and Noey.

Reaction Score
I'm still optimistic about the team. They are much better offensively since the start of the season, at least as far as the passing game goes. If we show we can pass, it should help us run. Defensively we're not as good as we were with Joseph and Jennings, that may necessitate throwing the ball more. Haven't been thrilled with P's play calling either, but its too early to start pulling your hair out. Obviously the Rutgers game is huge, no gimmes left on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Last year we showed significant improvement once we got into conference play. If you're going to hang your hat on anything, it's that this year's team is slightly more talented and we'll show the same improvements this year. I had us at 4-1 at this point in the season so we're not that far off where I thought we'd be on the surface. However, I really didn't anticipate regressing on the OL in year 2 of DeLeone's offense. So we'll see.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"We lost two games we should have won"
"Is that bad?"
"It's not good!"

Reaction Score
Last year we showed significant improvement once we got into conference play. If you're going to hang your hat on anything, it's that this year's team is slightly more talented and we'll show the same improvements this year. I had us at 4-1 at this point in the season so we're not that far off where I thought we'd be on the surface. However, I really didn't anticipate regressing on the OL in year 2 of DeLeone's offense. So we'll see.

Every single word of this is on point.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Overall I agree with your observations and I love the adjustments you propose. However, to say that we’ve been competitive in each of our OOC games is a misnomer, considering the competition and a UConn team that, as constituted at the time of those games, has had enough talent to be 5-0 and have 3, potentially 4, blowouts.

Secondly, play-calling, talent, and the product on the field are not mutually exclusive. It is the coaches’ responsibility to recognize those mismatches, make adjustments, and call plays to put the talent on the field in the best position to win. That has not happened.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The thread title should be, "This team isn't as bad a it looks"

Everyone recognizes this. Hence, the general pissyness. Won 3 games, should have won 5, and the wins themselves were unimpressive.

We know the team works hard, coaches too. But something that should be there, isn't there. Fire, focus, desire whatever you want call it, it's not coming together. Thankfully, we are undefeated in conference play, but need a couple big efforts to turn the season around. Go win these next two games, by hook or by crook and things will feel a whole lot better.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
One thing I did like about the last game was the relative lack of wildcat. As the offense has gotten better and Whitmer has shown more... they really have cut down on it. I thought the same thing during the WM game but I thought that might have been because we were playing from behind... but it seems that they at least realize that it just wasn't working all that well.

Reaction Score
Not sure where "Should've won 5" comes from, but I think we could be 4-1. Saturday will tell alot. Rutgers probably has the best batch of receivers we'll face with a qb that can throw, we'll see how good our defense is.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not sure where "Should've won 5" comes from, but I think we could be 4-1. Saturday will tell alot. Rutgers probably has the best batch of receivers we'll face with a qb that can throw, we'll see how good our defense is.

No one can convince me that we had any business losing to WM or NC State because anything special they did. The losses were on us and what we didn't do.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I was really happy that we finally started running more play action last week. I don't really remember any or much play action up until then, and what's the point of running on every first down if you're not going to occasionally throw them a curve ball? Few things are more satisfying than watching the defense bite on what you've been setting up for half the game

Reaction Score
Overall I agree with your observations and I love the adjustments you propose. However, to say that we’ve been competitive in each of our OOC games is a misnomer, considering the competition and a UConn team that, as constituted at the time of those games, has had enough talent to be 5-0 and have 3, potentially 4, blowouts.

Secondly, play-calling, talent, and the product on the field are not mutually exclusive. It is the coaches’ responsibility to recognize those mismatches, make adjustments, and call plays to put the talent on the field in the best position to win. That has not happened.

I agree the coaching staff has made some mistakes. However, at the same time we have to consider that arewere developing a new qb. A qb who initially threw five picks (0 tds) in his in his first two games . Three picks in the NC state game (whitmers first "real" d1 game), so its hard to blame the coaching staff for losing 10-7 when you lose the turnover battle 4-1. Now the WMU game that's another matter. Coaching staff is slow with the adjustments predictable, repetitive play calls, extreme conservatism at times, playing not to lose. There's too much parity in college football to do that. The difference between winning and losing is too small. So its frustrating.

(1)Whitmer is completing 61 percent of his throws and averaging 7 yards an attempt and the coaching staff is scared to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down unless they are behind. They don't want to mix in the play action enough to keep defenses honest.
(2) the rugged insistence tht lyle McCombs is a brusing between the tackles back that breaks tackles and gets firsts downs running people
(3) The predictability of the running game, prior to buffalo in regards to not giving other backs carries.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree the coaching staff has made some mistakes. However, at the same time we have to consider that arewere developing a new qb. A qb who initially threw five picks (0 tds) in his in his first two games . Three picks in the NC state game (whitmers first "real" d1 game), so its hard to blame the coaching staff for losing 10-7 when you lose the turnover battle 4-1. Now the WMU game that's another matter. Coaching staff is slow with the adjustments predictable, repetitive play calls, extreme conservatism at times, playing not to lose. There's too much parity in college football to do that. The difference between winning and losing is too small. So its frustrating.

(1)Whitmer is completing 61 percent of his throws and averaging 7 yards an attempt and the coaching staff is scared to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down unless they are behind. They don't want to mix in the play action enough to keep defenses honest.
(2) the rugged insistence tht lyle McCombs is a brusing between the tackles back that breaks tackles and gets firsts downs running people
(3) The predictability of the running game, prior to buffalo in regards to not giving other backs carries.

My view exactly. I'd like to see more focus on the passing game, with just as many touches for McCombs but get him the ball a lot more on play-action, draws, screens, passes to the flat, and pitches rather than simple between-the-tackles running.

I think they must be worried about getting the quarterback killed by too many hits, a concussion to Whitmer might ruin us with nobody behind him. Otherwise the endless handoffs and keeping the backs and TEs in for blocking makes no sense.

Reaction Score
I know this will sound bizzare, and if it is true it will BE strange, but if you listen to the way Pasqualoni and even some of the other coaches have talked about the games, they sound like NFL coaches during the pre-season. And to an extent, you almost get the feeling, at least I do, that they used the non-conference schedule to try different things and to work on specific aspects of the game. I had that feeling against Maryland and I had it late in the game Saturday, and to some degree after Westerm Michigan. Almost like it was more important to get reps for the oline than to win...or more important to see how certain combinations of wide receivers work than to develop a true game plan or certain d-line combos work. Clearly they did that against UMass, but that was a name your score game. But it sounded like they took the same approach to the others as well.

Reaction Score
One thing we should all be happy about is that right now DeLeone has some footage he can watch of our offense working correctly. I think he'll study that and we'll be more effective down the road. It seems like that might have been the case last year as the season went on.

Reaction Score

Significant improvement? Lost 4 out of last 7 games. 2 of the 3 wins were against teams that went 1-6 in the BE. In the loses gave up 43, 35, 34, 35 points - defense was going the wrong way (in a league not known for high scoring teams besides WV and Cin). Last game of year against Cin, playing for a bowl, gave up 6 sacks and were down 22 in the 4th before a couple of late td's.
Teams are supposed to improve over the season. Would not call what Uconn did last 7 games last year "significant' improvement, although 3-4 is better than 2-3.
Lets win 2 games in a row before we claim "significant" improvement.

Reaction Score
Significant improvement? Lost 4 out of last 7 games. 2 of the 3 wins were against teams that went 1-6 in the BE. In the loses gave up 43, 35, 34, 35 points - defense was going the wrong way (in a league not known for high scoring teams besides WV and Cin). Last game of year against Cin, playing for a bowl, gave up 6 sacks and were down 22 in the 4th before a couple of late td's.
Teams are supposed to improve over the season. Would not call what Uconn did last 7 games last year "significant' improvement, although 3-4 is better than 2-3.
Lets win 2 games in a row before we claim "significant" improvement.

You're entitled to your opinion. But you conveniently failed to recognize that the "2" in our 2-3 start last year were Fordham and Buffalo (who, although we won by 2 TD's was a lot tighter than this year's 7 point win) and our last 7 games were against Big East teams (including WVU).

Husky25

Reaction Score

No argument...Ergo my second paragraph.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I know this will sound bizzare, and if it is true it will BE strange, but if you listen to the way Pasqualoni and even some of the other coaches have talked about the games, they sound like NFL coaches during the pre-season. And to an extent, you almost get the feeling, at least I do, that they used the non-conference schedule to try different things and to work on specific aspects of the game. I had that feeling against Maryland and I had it late in the game Saturday, and to some degree after Westerm Michigan. Almost like it was more important to get reps for the oline than to win...or more important to see how certain combinations of wide receivers work than to develop a true game plan or certain d-line combos work. Clearly they did that against UMass, but that was a name your score game. But it sounded like they took the same approach to the others as well.
Difference is, OOC games count against our record to get to a bowl game!!!!

Reaction Score
its not a math problem... people want to put a number on it and have that be the final answer. like 'we're the 57th best team in the country'.

in reality, there are about 15 elite teams, 20 horrific teams, then a good tier and a bad tier in between. we're probably on the top of the bad tier. those mid tiers are teams that can probably knock off any other mid tier team but aren't going to beat those top 15 or lose to those bottom 20 very often.

are we 'better' than Cincy or Rutgers or Louisville? probably not right now. can we beat them? of course. Can we beat Alabama? of course not. Can we improve to the 'good tier' in a few weeks? of course. Can we play like the horrific tier? of course.

its not a math problem... over the course of the year there will be highs and lows and we'll finish somewhere thats representative of what we are. trying to quantify it or nitpick if we're better than the 55th best team in the country is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom