Tarris Reed commits! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tarris Reed commits!

Reaction Score
From the videos he looks like a kid with solid low post moves, uses his size to his advantage (he really seems to bully some of those kids), excellent athleticism for his size, and finishes well through contact. What's not to like?

Reaction Score
Seriously, everyone loved AO, until his fateful/foolish decision to head (mid)west
Not everyone. Liked him but he had his issues especially that automatic left handed throw that 80% was a brick of a prayer. But he was a tough kid who had some big games I will give him that.

Reaction Score
I definitely see some Sanogo, even some Andre Drummond, in his game.

The question is how his skillset translates to a motion/screening offense.
I absolutely see a college style Andre Drummond here with better footwork & less athleticism

Reaction Score
How can people twist this into disrespect? Nothing but highest praise.

lol go get some fresh air
You're the one that said "I think he’ll be a better version of Sanogo", LOL. Sanogo was one of the best big men in UConn history, led us to a National Championship, and was the 2023 NCAA Tourney's Most Outstanding Player. If this kid's gonna be a better version of Sanogo, I guess Danny can take the summer off!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You're the one that said "I think he’ll be a better version of Sanogo", LOL. Sanogo was one of the best big men in UConn history, led us to a National Championship, and was the 2023 NCAA Tourney's Most Outstanding Player. If this kid's gonna be a better version of Sanogo, I guess Danny can take the summer off!

That's the hope by the time Big Hoss leaves!

Reaction Score
LOL. What Hurley and our coaching staff did for Sanogo they will do for him. He sounds ready to be coached.

Reaction Score
Just think out loud, but what are the chances our staff focused in on Reed when they were watching tape and scouting Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue during the tourney?
Killing two birds with one stone you mean?

Could be.

Reaction Score
UConn Drummond was a good player.
He was also 17-18 years old when he played for UConn . He was. Suppose to be 2012-13 but reclassified to 2011-12.
Probably the most underachieving team we ever had.
but personally had a decent year for a freshman .

Reaction Score
I didn't see this posted but this is an article from the Courant where they spoke to one of the Michigan beat writers about Reed. Strengths, weaknesses, how he was used, etc. Definitely worth a read.

The Courant: As far as his offensive game, you said he’s not a shooter. Does he have a midrange game, or is he just a post player?

Kahn: Yeah, it’s back-to-the-basket, right near the basket. He would catch it sometimes and face up and get into jab step and then try to spin off the guy and then back him down, but you can probably count on one hand the number of times he actually took that midrange shot. It was almost all around the basket.

He made a 3, I’m trying to remember what game it was because it was notable. (Editor’s Note: It was at Michigan State on Jan. 30). He maybe took three for his entire career. And then yeah, the free throw thing, when you’re a big and you’re hoping to get fouled a lot, those points count. He did elevate his percentage a lot, but still not where you’d want it to be.

Alternate access:
Who is Tarris Reed Jr.? A look at ex-Michigan big man who could fill starting role for UConn next season

Reaction Score
Welcome big hoss!
Pawn Stars Reaction GIF by DefyTV

Reaction Score
I like his ability to put the ball on the deck a bit,
Looks like he will be able to fake the hand off at the top of the key and take it to the trim unlike our bigs the last two years

Reaction Score
From the videos he looks like a kid with solid low post moves, uses his size to his advantage (he really seems to bully some of those kids), excellent athleticism for his size, and finishes well through contact. What's not to like?
From what i’ve heard he has very large untapped potential which i think our coaching staff can unlock. The things ive heard that separates him from a good player to a great player is that he suffered from these mental lapses to where he doesn’t know where he is on the court and can’t read when the double teams are coming. i feel as if that’s more of a coaching issue then a player issue and im sure our coaches can fix that issue

Reaction Score
We don’t want to put too much on Reed day 1 but be assured that he doesn’t get taken by us unless we think he can be more than what he has been.
Just give the kid some time to develop because he probably will be much different in Feb than he is in November.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Not everyone. Liked him but he had his issues especially that automatic left handed throw that 80% was a brick of a prayer. But he was a tough kid who had some big games I will give him that.

AO was a good, not great, player. I remember he made a drop-step move 5 minutes into his first game and I thought, wow this guy's gonna be an all-time UConn great. Nope. Never got much better over his career. Not bad. Good. Just not great. And took a step back from his SO season to his JR season. And maybe it had something to do with his dad but I also never got the vibe he was "all in."

Reaction Score
I see absolutely no reason to question this staff's evals, they know what they're looking for and if they took him this early in the process, then it was because they see something and think he's a great fit.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I honestly don’t remember 20-20 games from him in college.

No, he averaged 10.0 & 7.6 -- not bad for a freshman and the potential was obvious.

Reaction Score
AO was a good, not great, player. I remember he made a drop-step move 5 minutes into his first game and I thought, wow this guy's gonna be an all-time UConn great. Nope. Never got much better over his career. Not bad. Good. Just not great. And took a step back from his SO season to his JR season. And maybe it had something to do with his dad but I also never got the vibe he was "all in."
Alot of it was due to roster construction and coaching, that wasn't JC's best year managing things

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom