Targeting is not about the "crown" of the helmet. | The Boneyard

Targeting is not about the "crown" of the helmet.

Reaction Score
It is about launching yourself. Which the ball state player did. He launch himself and hit the Turner in the head. Penalty.

Here is the college rule. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. One of the following four must be displayed.
  • 1 Launch-a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • 2 A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • 3 Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • 4 Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
#3 was clearly displayed by the BSU player. That play didn't cost us the game. But it surely played a roll.

Reaction Score
That was a clear target. What a BS call that killed our momentum. The refs did a job on us. Some of their calls were down right criminal.

That blatant non-call on an obvious hold when their RB running ran for the TD was icing on the cake.

We didn't play well in the second half, but there is no doubt refs helped that Ball State team.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If they keep that call we keep rolling down the field for another score. We still had a lot of chances and needed to be tougher mentally but it completely took the wind out of our sales. Especially coming off that atrocious PI call

Reaction Score
It is about launching yourself. Which the ball state player did. He launch himself and hit the Turner in the head. Penalty.

Here is the college rule. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. One of the following four must be displayed.
  • 1 Launch-a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • 2 A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • 3 Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • 4 Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
#3 was clearly displayed by the BSU player. That play didn't cost us the game. But it surely played a roll.
Yup. Totally agree. That call and the PI call were brutal. But unfortunately, you don’t get any better complaining about the refs. We need to focus on why we were outcoached in the second half.

Reaction Score
There were a bunch of blatant calls that went against us and that weren't called on Ball State, so much so that the game was clearly fixed in my mind but what fumble are people talking about? I thought Rosa was clearly up when he lost the ball.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There were a bunch of blatant calls that went against us and that weren't called on Ball State, so much so that the game was clearly fixed in my mind but what fumble are people talking about? I thought Rosa was clearly up when he lost the ball.
The fact he fumbled trying to extend 25 yds away from the sticks. Nothing to do with the refs just a horribly low FB IQ play.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
That was targeting. I blame the receiver for not laying out on the ground, soccer style, after the hit, as much as the bad reversal. He bounced right up. That's how you lose a game, and an Oscar

Reaction Score
That was targeting. I blame the receiver for not laying out on the ground, soccer style, after the hit, as much as the bad reversal. He bounced right up. That's how you lose a game, and an Oscar
Even the announcers said it was obvious but didn't say anything when it was overturned.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That was all on Charlton. On third and thirty you heave the ball down field and the worst thing that happens is it’s picked off and it’s basically a punt

Reaction Score
Yup. Totally agree. That call and the PI call were brutal. But unfortunately, you don’t get any better complaining about the refs. We need to focus on why we were outcoached in the second half.
Right, but you should only have to beat the other team. Not the refs, too.

Reaction Score
The Ref had their thumbs on the scale big time.

1. Phantom offensive face mask
2. Reversal on non/reviewable play
3. No-call chops blocks all game
4. Clear targeting reversed
5. PF on a non contact play at end of game on final possession
6. Ineligible man down reversing a first down on last possession

All made around key plays and possessions. I’d never schedule them again and file a complaint with the NCAA. That said, our O fell apart. Charlton went away from the power run game and made sone incredibly stupid calls. The freshman effect cost us big. Rosa fumble. ZT in a panic the last 2 possessions.

Hope we learn from this. Very tough loss that shouldn’t have happened.

Reaction Score
Didn't need acting on that play. It was real. Refs chose to ignore it with their Ball State bias.

Reaction Score
Don’t think it was a coaching issue. Injuries caught up with us today.

Reaction Score
That was all on Charlton. On third and thirty you heave the ball down field and the worst thing that happens is it’s picked off and it’s basically a punt

Nah, running is the right play. You want to at least burn a little clock. And with our running game in that spot there’s a good chance you can at least get a little of the field position. Can’t fumble the ball there

Reaction Score
There were a collection of bad plays and tough calls that went against us that contributed to losing this game. If a couple of them don’t happen, maybe it’s a different result. Fact is when you have a depleted roster and are relying on freshmen backups, it’s not hard for bad things to snowball.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Runner was not defenseless. That said, it was forceable contact, and I thought the crown of the helmet definitely glanced him. Should have stood.

Reaction Score
The one thing about the targeting call is our player was being held up by another defensive player and the Ball State player came in leading with helmet to target a defenseless player.

The NCAA should review this call.

Reaction Score
In case anyone missed the game, here is the play that they reversed the targeting call on

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom