Talk to me about replacing windows... | The Boneyard

Talk to me about replacing windows...

Reaction Score
I need to replace a bunch of windows in the house I'm renovating with inserts. I'll do the installation myself and probably put in new trim inside and out while I'm at it. Energy-efficiency is a must even if it means more $. Not afraid to spend some money since we'll be living here for 30 years or more.

Window guys are like used car salesman, so I'm coming to the yard.

Any advice? Brands? Wood vs Aluminum clad vs vinyl clad?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I need to replace a bunch of windows in the house I'm renovating with inserts. I'll do the installation myself and probably put in new trim inside and out while I'm at it. Energy-efficiency is a must even if it means more $. Not afraid to spend some money since we'll be living here for 30 years or more.

Do it yourself? Yikes. They are super expensive installed. We replaced all of ours, front then the back a few years later (weather impacts the front. Some quick thoughts.
  • Not Anderson or Pella. All that advertising money makes them a poor value.
  • Vinyl clad. They almost all have good insulation now, but aluminum just doesn't insulate nearly as well. You've sat on aluminum bleachers in the cold, right?
  • Focus on outside frame size and glass surface area. Some cheap replacement windows really cut down your actual window size.
There's a company called Sunrise Windows, with multiple brands including Solace. Really high quality windows. Okna is another one that is well regarded.

Reaction Score

Just had 2 vinyl windows installed (replacing wood windows) in my VA colonial by Window Nation, very happy with the look and quality. Slippery salespeople though. They will measure everything, do a demo, and then give you a price, which will be exorbitant, like $1500 a window. I was like, no thanks, and he asked me what I would be willing to pay, and I told him $1800 (all in) for two windows, based upon my research into window prices from a box store (900 for builder-grade Anderson), multiplied by two for the installation. I still felt like I was getting ripped off, but I did my homework as well as I could. I will slowly replace all the windows eventually.

Reaction Score
As mentioned above Marvin wood windows are very goodBut pricey. We put Pella vinyl in our Vt house several years ago and we’re quite happy. There was a local pella retail store and was able to see samples and order exactly what we needed. They will usually offer u a contractor price if u chat with them a bit.

Our house wasn’t very high end so didn’t see the need for wood as that bumps the price significantly. I didn’t want my windows to be the highest end piece of the house.

Pricing is based on frame material/glass efficiency so u can easily compare if u know the l x w, as each combination has a different $$/ft

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do it yourself? Yikes. They are super expensive installed. We replaced all of ours, front then the back a few years later (weather impacts the front. Some quick thoughts.
  • Not Anderson or Pella. All that advertising money makes them a poor value.
  • Vinyl clad. They almost all have good insulation now, but aluminum just doesn't insulate nearly as well. You've sat on aluminum bleachers in the cold, right?
  • Focus on outside frame size and glass surface area. Some cheap replacement windows really cut down your actual window size.
There's a company called Sunrise Windows, with multiple brands including Solace. Really high quality windows. Okna is another one that is well regarded.

I was a halfway carpenter's apprentice in a former life--my uncle was a carpenter and general contractor who did home remodels and I worked for him after school and during the summer from 12-22. Windows are actually pretty easy as long as you order the right size... which many people do not, lol.

Hadn't heard of Okna or Sunrise. I'll check them out. Thanks!

Reaction Score
We installed Harveys and are pleased. Their showroom is in Berlin near Schaller Subaru. I think they only sell through their contractor network, though. We were able to buy direct through our neighbor's account.

I just really hate going to those showrooms. I just want to be able to hand them a list of window sizes I need and have it shipped to my garage. But I'm probably going to have to go to one.

Thanks

Reaction Score
Our house wasn’t very high end so didn’t see the need for wood as that bumps the price significantly. I didn’t want my windows to be the highest end piece of the house.

I think my wife would probably want the highest end everything... she's a snob. I don't care about the look; I just want something that is energy-efficient since we want to live here for decades. I'm guessing we'll end up somewhere in the middle. Wish me luck, haha

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just really hate going to those showrooms. I just want to be able to hand them a list of window sizes I need and have it shipped to my garage. But I'm probably going to have to go to one.

Thanks
You'll find out that the real problem is that these windows are mostly all sold via dealers that make all their money on the installation. You will need to shop like you're a contractor, and most of these places won't make that easy. Harvey is one that is popular with builders, so may be easier to order the way you want.

Sunrise may have been acquired.

Reaction Score
You'll find out that the real problem is that these windows are mostly all sold via dealers that make all their money on the installation. You will need to shop like you're a contractor, and most of these places won't make that easy. Harvey is one that is popular with builders, so may be easier to order the way you want.

Sunrise may have been acquired.

What I can probably do is order them through my uncle's contracting company to avoid that headache. I'll have to ask him, but he owes me

Reaction Score
I redid the 30 windows, 4 exterior doors with storms doors and 1 sliding glass door in 2016. All in it was 35k for all of it. They are Pella 300 series windows and we are quite happy. I would get someone to install them. I went with Lowes because the price was good and the install was pretty quick once the windows came in.

We also looked at Marvin windows, the fiberglass ones. They were great, but the price was 15k more than we ended up spending.

We also had other companies that weren't name brand out and they did feel like salesman and I didn't like that too much.

I am in North Central Indiana so prices might be different.

Reaction Score
I think my wife would probably want the highest end everything... she's a snob. I don't care about the look; I just want something that is energy-efficient since we want to live here for decades. I'm guessing we'll end up somewhere in the middle. Wish me luck, haha
Well, u do need to actually look at them every day. Lol. I know with Pella the diff was the weld/seam visibility. We went with the 200 seiries(mid range) as for a vacation home. If my primary would have probably gone 300 series and no visible welds

Imo u want to match the windows to your budget and house price point. I wouldn’t put Marvin windows in a 300k condo. Nor would I put Pella 100 series in a 2m house. Just my .02

Poe

Reaction Score
Are new windows really worth it for energy savings? From some quick research it looks like new windows only save $300-500 bucks a year, so the payback period is really long.

I have original single pane windows from 1979. Approximately 30 windows x $1,000, it would easily cost $30k-$40k to get new windows. I guess my thinking is I’ll just pay the extra $500 in energy costs per year and deal with the old window aesthetics.

I guess newer windows would be more appealing if I were to sell and could recoup some of the cost in the sales price. However, it just doesn’t seem like the cost of new windows is worth it if the goal is to simply reduce your energy bills.

Reaction Score
We did this 4 years ago. It was well worth the money.

What ever you decide to do, go to the energize CT site that I linked below. The state of CT incentives energy efficient upgrade and can help you get a loan or rebate. I don't know what they offer for 2024. Good luck

Reaction Score
Are new windows really worth it for energy savings? From some quick research it looks like new windows only save $300-500 bucks a year, so the payback period is really long.

I have original single pane windows from 1979. Approximately 30 windows x $1,000, it would easily cost $30k-$40k to get new windows. I guess my thinking is I’ll just pay the extra $500 in energy costs per year and deal with the old window aesthetics.

I guess newer windows would be more appealing if I were to sell and could recoup some of the cost in the sales price. However, it just doesn’t seem like the cost of new windows is worth it if the goal is to simply reduce your energy bills.

The goal isn't simply to reduce energy bills. That's just my focus while my wife is concerned with updating the aesthetics.

Reaction Score
What I can probably do is order them through my uncle's contracting company to avoid that headache. I'll have to ask him, but he owes me
Harvey custom makes every window. They will probably want your uncle to sign off on the order to make sure all the dimensions are correct. That's what we needed to do when we bought our through our neighbor. The Harvey showroom wasn't bad. You go in, figure out what you want, then go to the counter and someone will help you. No pushy salespeople. Better than the Anderson salesmen that come around to our neighborhood every 6 months.

Reaction Score

I agree with your thinking. I don't think you will ever recoup the money back with energy savings. For us to do our whole house of 30 windows it was more because the older casement windows had broken knobs that couldn't replace and the windows wouldn't open. It has made a world of difference for us.

Reaction Score
Well, u do need to actually look at them every day. Lol. I know with Pella the diff was the weld/seam visibility. We went with the 200 seiries(mid range) as for a vacation home. If my primary would have probably gone 300 series and no visible welds

Imo u want to match the windows to your budget and house price point. I wouldn’t put Marvin windows in a 300k condo. Nor would I put Pella 100 series in a 2m house. Just my .02

Thats what happened to me also. I looked at the 200 series and my wife didn't like the visible welds in the corners. So for our home we went with the 300 series with no visible seams. Was more expensive, but they are nicer to look at everyday.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
I believe the issue with vinyl windows is that the vinyl contracts / expands after weathering so the great energy efficiency # is only valid for the first few years.

I had Marvin wood windows installed years ago in my 1910 row house b/c there was a movement to make my neighborhood historic and that required wood windows. They’re good windows and we painted them to match the house trim.

Reaction Score
Do you know any home insurance adjusters? A friend gave me the guy he frequently used, and they did a good job. Harvey windows, the double hung, double pane with lattice in the middle for a colonial look, plus 1 casement window. I seem to remember about 14-15 windows for less than $11k.

Reaction Score

Don’t use Lowes in Milford, what a pain in the a z z.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom