Takeaways from tonight's game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Takeaways from tonight's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lots of equivocation going on here. Moments ago they were a "bubble team", but have since been upgraded to "slightly above-bubble team" status

Slightly-above bubble was referring to Duquesne and St Bonav.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Slightly-above bubble was referring to Duquesne and St Bonav.
So if I understand you correctly, the very same Duquense and St. Bona squads that you chose to hold against WVU as bad losses, are now "slightly-above bubble" teams? That would seem to mitigate the damage to WVU's reputation you implied. Maybe it's just me, but it seems you're playing both-ends-to-the-middle with this argument?

Reaction Score
So if I understand you correctly, the very same Duquense and St. Bona squads that you chose to hold against WVU as bad losses, are now "slightly-above bubble" teams? That would seem to mitigate the damage to WVU's reputation you implied. Maybe it's just me, but it seems you're playing both-ends-to-the-middle with this argument?

Show me where I say that Duquesne and St Bona are bad losses.

Reaction Score
Still wondering why Heather didn't play.

Well, she did have a cast on her arm. Even if she could play, why risk further injury in a game where she wasn't needed, particularly with ND on the horizon.

Reaction Score
they like playing the centers in the high post. i think it's not bad at times, but they need to look inside when she and Kiah flash to the basket. i'm not sure what is up with Stef. she had 9 vs. STanford, 10 vs. aTm and 6 vs. Baylor. i don't think she's good enough to score against top teams at this point. part of it is she's not taking any shots. either the guards aren't finding her, she's not demanding the ball enough, she's spending too much time in the high post, or some combo of that. don't get me wrong i love Stef and want her to be terrific, but she's not there yet.

i also will say against some tough post players, i've seen them beating the crap out of her. the amount of physical play that goes on when players are trying to defend her is ridiculous at times. i read a post somewhere where a moron said Stef is a dirty player. on the contrary. she's way too nice. and the refs should be calling the overly physical stuff that is pulled against her.
Are you serious???? She had the ball almost every possession, around the foul line, without anyone guarding her within 5-10'. She took 1 shot I can remember. This from a kid that shoots around 80% from the line? She should have shot until she was guarded.

Reaction Score
Uh...see your own post @10:52. Beyond that, I can't help you. Peace. Out.

Yeah you can't help me, because nowhere do I make a comment on the nature of those losses.

Reaction Score
Something very strange bout tonight's game. It made very clear that neither of the Huskies post options have any offense in the high post, and yet, I don't recall a single half-court set where the post [player went to the low blocks first or most. Every single set was run with the posts standnig uselessly out on the perimeter. Clearly, the offense wouldn't be set up like that if it wasn't exactly what Geno wanted, but why he should want that, I have no idea.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Something very strange bout tonight's game. It made very clear that neither of the Huskies post options have any offense in the high post, and yet, I don't recall a single half-court set where the post [player went to the low blocks first or most. Every single set was run with the posts standnig uselessly out on the perimeter. Clearly, the offense wouldn't be set up like that if it wasn't exactly what Geno wanted, but why he should want that, I have no idea.

My guess is that with WVa playing such aggressive man defense, putting the post at the top of the key would open up the lane for back-cuts. The problem was that the WVa post defender was staying in the lane rather than coming up to guard Stef (or Kiah) at the top of the post. That left Stef (or Kiah) wide open but clogged up the lane to make back-cuts difficult. Neither Stef or Kiah took or made the open jumper to force the post defender to guard them which all but eliminated the back-cuts and made running offense more difficult.

Still, the team managed to put up 79 points and won by 19. It was one of those grind-it-out games that resembled games against WVa in previous years.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Still wondering why Heather didn't play. CD didn't comment on it (wasn't asked) in her postgame radio interview. It wasn't mentioned in the quotes from Geno's postgame comments. Still wonder if it's injury, illness, or chateau bowwow. It certainly would have made sense to play her against that defense.

Geno was asked why Heather didn't play:

“It’s two reasons,’’ Auriemma said. “We can’t get a bucket and she’s not going to help us do that that much. And the next thing I’m sure Saturday we’re going to need her a lot more (at No. 3 Notre Dame) than we needed her tonight. So I told her, `Take the day off.’ She’ll be ready to go on Saturday.’’

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Here is what I took from this game. Kelly is a stud...she is everywhere...got 6 steals tonight, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, nailed 14 points and just played a tremendous heady game tonight. Bria was equally awesome. Doty played well and scored 11 points. Tiffany did well also...come to think of it we had 5 players in double figures and Kiah at 8...that is a nice balanced offensive attack against the third best defense in the country. How about that sick spinning move by Bria Hartley? Let's not downplay the best passing center in the USA Stephanie Dolson's 6 assists.

W. Va. is long and athletic and they have two good post players. Kiah is still young having only played about 12 college games she is still early in the learning curve...so yeah she got schooled a couple of times by a veteran junior post player. That is not a bad thing at this point in her career...she is a quick learner, she has a wide body and I will bet that a sophmore Kiah doesn't get schooled by the same Senior post player next year. Additionally, Kiah hung in there and acquitted herself quite well with 8 points of her own...she had a nice block that was erroneously called a foul. I think we have a gem in Kiah.

Both Kiah and Stephanie were taken off guard by W. Va's strategy of playing about 6 feet off the high post in an effort to pack the middle and prevent the inside game. It wasn't until late in the 2nd half the either Geno told Stephanie to take the foul line jumper (that actually was about 2 feet past the foul line) or Stephanie figured it out for herself (I think it was probably the former). Unfortunately, Kiah never figured it out. It was either a reflection of her youth and inexperience or her lack of confidence to take that shot or a combination of both. If either of them started hitting that shot...it would have changed W. Va. entire defensive strategy. Another thing I took from this game is W. Va.'s youth led to a lot of turnovers prompted by UConn's usual suffocating defense.

We are currently only a team that goes 7 deep. We really are going to need Kiah, Heather and Brianna to find a way to contribute consistently by the time we get to the NCAAs. Other than that...I believe this kind of a game does help in preparing UConn for what they will face Saturday when they go to South Bend, Ind. where our post players will only be part of the problem. While our post players will have their problems with Peters and Aconawa, stopping Novesel and Diggins is going to be a tough assignment for our guards.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Are you serious???? She had the ball almost every possession, around the foul line, without anyone guarding her within 5-10'. She took 1 shot I can remember. This from a kid that shoots around 80% from the line? She should have shot until she was guarded.
what are you talking about? your post not only makes no sense, but has nothing to do with what i posted. clearly i didn't see the game tonite as i live in san diego. i was referring to her lack of production, and lack of shots in 3 previous "tough" games. interesting, though, that Stef was 1-6 scoring 3 points while her counterpart, Busie, was 6-9 for 19 points. i will say Stef had 6 assists and 7 boards tho.

Tiff Hayes' comments On being worried if Dolson has a bad game:
“We work on things like that, when Stefanie is not in in practice. We go with five guards and practice with the big guys like that. It will definitely help if she’s in the game but if not we will find a way to work around it.”

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
what are you talking about? your post not only makes no sense, but has nothing to do with what i posted. clearly i didn't see the game tonite as i live in san diego. i was referring to her lack of production, and lack of shots in 3 previous "tough" games. interesting, though, that Stef was 1-6 scoring 3 points while her counterpart, Busie, was 6-9 for 19 points. i will say Stef had 6 assists and 7 boards tho.

Don't worry Eric...I watched the game for both of us...I gave my take in the post just above yours. It wasn't pretty but I think we are okay going into South Bend. We have our work cut out for us but this game was a good one to get us ready for the physicality that we can expect to seen from Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
We missed way to many baskets. If they went in it would have Been a blow out. I'll chalk this up to an off night on offense, our defense remains consistent. Very concerned about ND game if being honest.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm telling you guys - this happens every January and has since I started watching wcbb. The players are living in a hotel, eating in restaurants, have no classes so they're bored most of the day. Their routine is disrupted and it shows.

BTW, other teams are going through this, too, so when a top team has an uneven game against lesser opponent, keep that in mind before skewering it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They've lost to Duquesne, St Bonaventure, and Cal St-Northridge. They are an NCAA bubble team. Wouldnt really call them a "quality" opponent.
However, WVU is a young team and have been improving every game (with the normal fluctuation) and their defense is very good. Duquense is a very solid team with an excellent coach.

And Nan is absolutely correct this happens every year when the kids aren't in classes. It might be an interesting experiment to offer the kids some in team some projects to fill the time and regulate the days.

Reaction Score
The women had some very good minutes along side some that felt disjointed, that said they did win handily, and Im certain the big "G" has all thing under control. I for my own part am curious as to why Buck got no court time being that their bigs were pushing SD and KS out of position with some ease most of the game, on to ND and as others have said the team will be very up for that game.

GO UCONN !!!!!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The women had some very good minutes along side some that felt disjointed, that said they did win handily, and Im certain the big "G" has all thing under control. I for my own part am curious as to why Buck got no court time being that their bigs were pushing SD and KS out of position with some ease most of the game, on to ND and as others have said the team will be very up for that game.

GO UCONN !!!!!!!
“It’s two reasons,’’ Auriemma said. “We can’t get a bucket and she’s not going to help us do that that much. And the next thing I’m sure Saturday we’re going to need her a lot more (at No. 3 Notre Dame) than we needed her tonight. So I told her, `Take the day off.’ She’ll be ready to go on Saturday.’’

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I am aware of their records. They are bubble or slightly above-bubble teams. WVU lost to both of them. The Eers are looking like a bubble team at this point. That is a marginal 'quality' team in my book.

Largely irrelevant given the quality of the competition played so far.
You were aware of their records (but not aware of their solid RPIs?), yet you still used them as an example of why WV was not a quality opponent?

A good defensive team is a good defensive team, no matter the opponent.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the info dd

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You were aware of their records (but not aware of their solid RPIs?), yet you still used them as an example of why WV was not a quality opponent?

A good defensive team is a good defensive team, no matter the opponent.
I think vowel just has a different opinion of what a "quality" team is. His bar is a bit higher than others on here. And I would have to agree with him. WV isn't a quality team. A decent team, sure.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm telling you guys - this happens every January and has since I started watching wcbb. The players are living in a hotel, eating in restaurants, have no classes so they're bored most of the day. Their routine is disrupted and it shows.

BTW, other teams are going through this, too, so when a top team has an uneven game against lesser opponent, keep that in mind before skewering it.
Yep I say that every year. In fact pretty sure I said something about it in Dec. And they also had 6 days off in-between games. They usually get in a groove when they have games every 3-4 days. They don't have as much "practice time" then. Which I think they like.

Reaction Score
Still wondering why Heather didn't play. CD didn't comment on it (wasn't asked) in her postgame radio interview. It wasn't mentioned in the quotes from Geno's postgame comments. Still wonder if it's injury, illness, or chateau bowwow. It certainly would have made sense to play her against that defense.

I was wondering the same thing.

Then I settled on hoping that Heather is just being saved for the ND game.

Lets hope that I am right.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Give WVU some credit on defense. BUT, I'd rather see UCONN miss and play terrible now and get it all out before the ND game. I'm sure we will shoot the ball much better!

GO UCONN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01