"Take that Providence" | Page 5 | The Boneyard

"Take that Providence"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
There has been so much about this "rivalry" and from where I sit, these rivalries fall into a couple buckets:

1) Our battles with Syracuse and Duke on a big stage. For titles. For first place. For final fours.

2) Regional little brothers who think they can take on their big brother. It's more of a nuisance based rivalry than a battle for any sort of supremacy. First it was UMass. We spanked their fanny enough and they eventually faded away. More recently it was Providence. And with those annual matchups now gone, all they have is "We played you tough most of the time!!!". They'll now fade away as well and whatever conference we are in, some other little brother will try to take us on.

The issue with a rivalry is that you have to play an important game that you really care about.

Has the PC game ever been any more important than Seton Hall or DePaul or USF? Not really.

Last weekend was the first time I really cared about beating PC but it has more to do with timing of the game and circumstances around the game (last game, injuries, no post season) than it was about PC.

Now, on PC's side, every game against UCONN is important. More important than DePaul or Seton Hall or USF.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agreed. Providence isn't too bad. And has the benefit of being 20-25 minutes from my house. So I do hope we keep playing PC, if they can stomach it.
They way I see it there are a number of soon to be former conference mates who PC would need to wait in line behind as potential non-conference opponents.

Reaction Score
michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

This made me laugh out loud - I have no idea why.

Reaction Score
There has been so much about this "rivalry" and from where I sit, these rivalries fall into a couple buckets:

1) Our battles with Syracuse and Duke on a big stage. For titles. For first place. For final fours.

2) Regional little brothers who think they can take on their big brother. It's more of a nuisance based rivalry than a battle for any sort of supremacy. First it was UMass. We spanked their fanny enough and they eventually faded away. More recently it was Providence. And with those annual matchups now gone, all they have is "We played you tough most of the time!!!". They'll now fade away as well and whatever conference we are in, some other little brother will try to take us on.

Sorry Deep,

Facts are facts. During UCONN's golden age this "little brother" handed out it's share of ass kickings, got under the skin of your HOF coach and drew the ire of the Horde. Deal with it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
...and yet, we don't care, as we've won multiple conference and national titles in that span. Deal with it.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Sorry Deep,

Facts are facts. During UCONN's golden age this "little brother" handed out it's share of ass kickings, got under the skin of your HOF coach and drew the ire of the Horde. Deal with it.

Providence's greatest achievement: being a minor nuisance to a neighbor. Congrats.

How many times do we have to point out that the regular season means SQUAT to our program? Titles are what matters.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Sorry Deep,

You really don't get the difference between a rivalry between schools and a situation where a message board troller get everyone going.

Reaction Score
Duke - Uconn is an amazing rivalry

Providence UConn isn't a rivalry, they play us tough but so does every other team in conference play. I consider syracuse and georgetown big conference rivals. If going .500 is a blessing to your team, you're not a rival to a team with multiple titles in recent years because you had a good regular season game against them lol.

Reaction Score
Sorry Deep,

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? This is seriously what you are bragging about on a Uconn message board? We need to "deal with" the fact that the Calhoun/Gomes tirade happened? We won %$#ing national championship that year.

PC drew the ire of the Horde? This is somehow considered an accomplishment in PC land? What are we talking about here?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Duke - Uconn is an amazing rivalry

Providence UConn isn't a rivalry, they play us tough but so does every other team in conference play. I consider syracuse and georgetown big conference rivals. If going .500 is a blessing to your team, you're not a rival to a team with multiple titles in recent years because you had a good regular season game against them lol.

We have a bigger rivalry with Butler than PC. We've played more big games against them (1), than we have against PC in the last 20 years (0).

What sean-does-the-NIT-earn-it doen't understand that if a DePaul fan spent as much time on this board as he does, DePaul would be as big a message board rival as PC.

Reaction Score
Sorry Deep,

AND LITTLE BROTHER HAS NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT!!! Where's the hardware? pee cee will continue to wallow in mediocrity and will likely continue it's revolving door of head coaches....2 key components for continuing a tradition built consolation prizes and futility. It's the truth. You haven't won anything meaningful and most likely never will. Deal with it. Have fun with your budding rivalry with Brown. We'll continue to compete for national championships. Have you seen one of those? No? Oh right.....you're pee cee and we beat you with 1 arm behind our back...twice.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Where are the Pitt posters? Now that's a team that beat us plenty, got under our skin and really did challenge for conference supremacy. And yet the idea of not sharing a conference with them brings yawns. Providence doesn't even bring that much.

Reaction Score
Sorry Deep,

Well, you got me there. You got under the skin of our cranky ol' coach. That must have eased the pain on all those pesky failures in the Big East Tourney all these years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So PC's claim to fame is not losing 23 straight to us like BC did, congratulations.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Sorry Deep,

So that is all PC accomplished in the last 30 years? Wow Sean that is pretty sad.

Reaction Score
Sorry Deep,

That's pretty pathetic, Sean, when those are your reasons to hang your hat on.
There were seasons where PC won the game. One year they won 2 games, but those were the only 2 games you won in Jan. Feb. or March. Meanwhile we go to the tourney. The year that the NH Register writer got under Calhoun's skin, UConn went on to win the NC. Same year PC gets dumped by U of Pacific in the 1st round. Last time in the tourney for you guys. Sound reasons to" deal with" any game with PC.
If I were you, Sean, I'd have a much tougher time "dealing with" not making the tourney for 9 yrs., and, counting.......

Reaction Score
They did stomp us at some crazy points in the season- I will give them that. In the last few years they gave us more WTF moments then maybe any other bottom half team in the BE- I will give them that- but it is really nothing to hang your hat on. Grasping at straws seems to be something you have to do when you are a PC fan. I am just grateful that I am not and PC fan and we can measure ourselves by a different standard- we are very fortunate to be an elite school.

Reaction Score
Sorry Deep,

Facts are facts: UConn beat PC both games this season, once with only 5 healthy players. UConn has won three National Championships of the past fourteen, each time with a completely different roster. During that same timeframe, PC has accomplished NOTHING other than some meaningless regular season wins.

Game, set, match. If you consider the fact that your team was a minor annoyance on our path to championships to be a success, thats pretty sad.

p.s. I hope you are enjoying the bad taste of UConn that Boatright left in your mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom