Taja Cole Transferring from Louisville | The Boneyard

Taja Cole Transferring from Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Transfers are such a big part of the game now. Has it always been like this and I just didn't pay as much attention as I do now? I know that Baylor has had its share of transfers, both in and out.

HGN

Reaction Score
I really hate to see this.........I hope its not about playing time because players should know that the coach has to recruit the best he can get. Every year... ..... As a backup or in case of injury. And sometimes that new player may be at their position. They shouldn't run away (transfer) from the new competition but embrace it. The competition will make them both , and the team , better .

But I wish Taja Cole the best.

Reaction Score
Transfers are such a big part of the game now. Has it always been like this and I just didn't pay as much attention as I do now? I know that Baylor has had its share of transfers, both in and out.

Based on this article, college athletes actually transfer far less then the average studnet

College Students’ Transfer Rate Is About 1 in 3

"Lost in the shuffle of university admission and graduation rates is a reality that those statistics often mask: about 1 in 3 students who enroll in either a four-year or two-year college will probably transfer at some point. This, to me, is the takeaway statistic in a report issued Tuesday by the National Association for College Admission Counseling."

Reaction Score
http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...m-louisville-womens-basketball-team/82191718/

Probably seeing the handwriting on the wall, if she stays she'll always be a player coming off the bench.

Wonder if this was a case of Jeff Walz's pushing out players who he recruited, but doesn't have a place for now. Louisville has a roster of 12 players now (http://nytimes.stats.com/wcbk/rosters.asp?team=0314), without a single senior, and just one junior. And he's recruited five more players for next year. So with 17 players on scholarship, which I take it is more than he is permitted, don't some kids have to go? Is he clearing the deck to get more kids in the following year, when, before this transfer, he would have had sixteen kids on the roster before any 2017 recruits?

Perhaps this is why Coach Geno doesn't go out and recruit as many kids as he can.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley on the phone? In a car? Oh, wait, she's busy this weekend.

If I'm a guard I'm thinking twice about SC. Dawn has not shown strength in developing guards, ironically enough, and she is comfortable with the "pound it in" game.

Reaction Score
In fact, according to Hoopgurlz.com, Walz recruited three point guards in 2015 and 2016, with two coming in next year in the 2016 recruiting class. Stockpiling?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In fact, according to Hoopgurlz.com, Walz recruited three point guards in 2015 and 2016, with two coming in next year in the 2016 recruiting class. Stockpiling?

Walz has offered half the kids in the country.

Reaction Score
At least 1 player - weatherford - is a walk on. At most there were 11 scholarships this year. Not sure what there situation would've been had Cole stayed.
There are usually Louisville fans around who can provide more color.

Reaction Score
Based on this article, college athletes actually transfer far less then the average studnet

College Students’ Transfer Rate Is About 1 in 3

"Lost in the shuffle of university admission and graduation rates is a reality that those statistics often mask: about 1 in 3 students who enroll in either a four-year or two-year college will probably transfer at some point. This, to me, is the takeaway statistic in a report issued Tuesday by the National Association for College Admission Counseling."
This is really a great post and brings this issue into a more realistic light. My thoughts are:
  • It is not as common as it appears. Student athletes are simply in the public light.
  • There are so many reasons that student athletes leave or transfer and sadly it is not always their decision. There are plenty of coaches that can and do put subtle or less than subtle pressure on players to move on if they don't fit the coaches future plans.
  • As much as I lament whenever a student athlete transfers, what is really important is that it leads to better outcomes. These athletes have a short window to enjoy their college experience. I wish them all to have the best possible experience possible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who are the two PGs coming in next year ? I do not see any recruits that should scare her off.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/97/class/2016
Sydney Zambrotta & Jazmine Jones are incoming guards. Bri Jackson (Jr) Arica Carter (So) are the current starters , Asia Durr will be THE starting PG going forward when healthy and Mariya Moore is playing SF but is more like a guard. The Louisville backcourt was pretty crowded and will be getting more crowded. Jazmine Jones will likely challenge for a starting spot.

Reaction Score
yes, such an interesting point: we forget that college transfer occurs on a much higher rate for the non-athlete.

HOWEVER, why do the non-athletes transfer?: 1. to get into a "better" school academically (meaning: higher status) than that to which they were originally admitted; 2. to get more financial aid or to reduce somehow the family's financial burden (closer to home, etc); 3. because they don't "click" socially. (These are not necessarily in the right order, and there are certainly more reasons, including (though I suspect this is somewhat rarer) that students discover that their academic interests aren't met at their current school.)

These generally aren't the concerns of the D-1 recruited athlete: they rarely transfer to a more competitive athletic program; they already are on scholarship; their social group is somewhat defined by their teammates. I know plenty of exceptions to these reasons, but I tried to respond in parallel to the three reasons above.

So, my point is that D-1 athletes perhaps tend to transfer for different reasons than the non-athlete, and likely those reasons center on their specific athletic interests.

Reaction Score
Sydney Zambrotta & Jazmine Jones are incoming guards. Bri Jackson (Jr) Arica Carter (So) are the current starters , Asia Durr will be THE starting PG going forward when healthy and Mariya Moore is playing SF but is more like a guard. The Louisville backcourt was pretty crowded and will be getting more crowded. Jazmine Jones will likely challenge for a starting spot.

Zambrotta is described by some as a combo guard. Maybe she is a shoot first PG. Jones in not a point guard, either is Durr.

Yes the back-court is crowded, Cole will have to compete for playing time at most good programs.

Reaction Score
Is there a coach who has had more transfers than Walz. Or has there been another coach of a women's basketball team with such a high profile who has had more transfers than Walz?

Reaction Score
I count two other point guards and two guards who were either freshmen this year, or will be coming in next year as freshmen. Then there's Arica Carter, a sophomore, who scores more. So there's a lot of competition at the guard spot, both PG and G. Having said that, Walz is bringing in two 6'4" post players to a team that's already loaded with front court players. How's that going to work out? And why are these talented players going to a team that can't even make the Sweet Sixteen? But Coach Geno's Connecticut team has a hole at post? Doesn't make sense.

http://nytimes.stats.com/wcbk/rosters.asp?team=0314
Roster
No. Name Pos Ht Eligibility Hometown
31 Sydney Brackemyre F 6-1 Fr Wilmington, OH
11 Arica Carter G 5-8 So Long Beach, CA
5 Taja Cole G 5-7 Fr Richmond, VA
1 Erin DeGrate C 6-4 Fr Waco, TX
25 Asia Durr G 5-10 Fr Douglasville, GA
3 Sam Fuehring F 6-3 Fr Wanaque, NJ
2 Myisha Hines-Allen F 6-2 So Montclair, NJ
23 Briahanna Jackson G 5-6 Jr Tampa, FL
22 Brianna Jones G 5-9 Fr North Babylon, NY
4 Mariya Moore F 6-0 So Hercules, CA
13 Cortnee Walton F 6-3 Jr Surprise, AZ
15 Dakota Weatherford G 5-6 Fr Arcadia, IN

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/97/class/2016

RECRUITING CLASS: CommitsConsideringOn The Trail
GRADEPLAYER INFOSTATUS
98Ciera Johnson, P
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100
POS RANK P #2HT 6-4HS Duncanville H.S. (TX)
Signed
98Kylee Shook, P
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100
POS RANK P #4HT 6-4HS Mesa Ridge H.S. (CO)
Signed
97Sydney Zambrotta, PG
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100
POS RANK PG #9HT 5-9HS Christ the King H.S. (NY)
Signed
95Jazmine Jones, G
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100
POS RANK G #14HT 5-10HS Florida A&M Developmental Research Schoo (FL)
Signed
90Bionca Dunham, F
POS RANK F #20HT 6-3HS Imhotep Institute Charter H.S. (PA)

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/97/class/2015

RECRUITING CLASS: CommitsConsideringOn The Trail
GRADEPLAYER INFOSTATUS
98Asia Durr, PG
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100Video
POS RANK PG #1HT 5-10HS Saint Pius X Catholic High (GA)
Signed
97Taja Cole, PG
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100
POS RANK PG #8HT 5-7HS Lloyd C. Bird H.S. (VA)
Signed
97Brianna Jones, G
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100
POS RANK G #8HT 5-9HS North Babylon H.S. (NY)
Signed
95Samantha Fuehring, F
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100
POS RANK F #12HT 6-3HS Immaculate Conception H.S. (NJ)
Signed
91Erin DeGrate, P
ESPNU HoopGurlz 100
POS RANK P #16HT 6-4HS La Vega H.S. (TX)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Is there a coach who has had more transfers than Walz. Or has there been another coach of a women's basketball team with such a high profile who has had more transfers than Walz?
Hatchell?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I remember UK had four players left/were dismissed within the span of six weeks or so, so I found this article that
said Coach Matthew Mitchell has had some 13 players leave and/or be dismissed from the team in his 9-year tenure.
Neither the article(link below) or me has any idea how this stacks up against other major programs.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll.../jen-smith-on-basketball/article47213370.html

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley on the phone? In a car? Oh, wait, she's busy this weekend.

If I'm a guard I'm thinking twice about SC. Dawn has not shown strength in developing guards, ironically enough, and she is comfortable with the "pound it in" game.

Where is this even coming from? We weren't in her list of schools when she committed... doubt we are now. That "pound it in" game got us to where we are now.. why shouldn't Dawn play to the strength of her roster?

Also, I think Dawn did a pretty good job with Tiffany Mitchell... She's only an All-American and 2-time SEC Player of the Year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Zambrotta is a very offensive minded guard who plays with flair for Christ the King in Long Island. Posted an article on her just before she committed. She is not a traditional PG, at least she didn't play that way the one game I saw her in. Thought she might go to Miami...based on what I read, seemed like she and Miami coach would be a good fit.
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme.../how-traveling-call-went-sydney-zambrotta-way

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Zambrotta is described by some as a combo guard. Maybe she is a shoot first PG. Jones in not a point guard, either is Durr.

Yes the back-court is crowded, Cole will have to compete for playing time at most good programs.
Both Jones & Zambrotta are described as combo guard- that is not shoot first it is the ability to play PG or SG. Durr was number 1 PG in the class of 2015 per ESPN. The only ones that claim Durr is not a PG are TN fans because they wanted that #1 PG ranking reserved for Cooper. In USA basketball Durr was ALWAYS a PG and when she could not go this summer she was replaced by another PG Patburg of ND .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom