Tailgate Menu for UMass: Early Addition | The Boneyard

Tailgate Menu for UMass: Early Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's staht with some CHOWDAH. Some appetizers of clam & crab stuffed hot cherry peppers. My daughter will bake us a cranberry-orange bread or two. It's my day off, so I'll make a Yankee Pot Roast in the slow cooker & serve it on Portuguese Rolls. If I must grill it will be Boston's Pearl Hot Dogs & some Polish kielbasa. Went to the Arthritis Association's Beer tasting in May at the Rent & tried some beers from the Springfield area. Maybe I'll look those up. I also went to Cape Cod & Nantucket last weekend & tried offerings from Cape Cod Brewery (Hyannis) & Cisco Brewery (Nantucket). These will be on my short list also, Just a starting list to get us in the mood. Anyone else care to share?

Reaction Score
Let's staht with some CHOWDAH. Some appetizers of clam & crab stuffed hot cherry peppers. My daughter will bake us a cranberry-orange bread or two. It's my day off, so I'll make a Yankee Pot Roast in the slow cooker & serve it on Portuguese Rolls. If I must grill it will be Boston's Pearl Hot Dogs & some Polish kielbasa. Went to the Arthritis Association's Beer tasting in May at the Rent & tried some beers from the Springfield area. Maybe I'll look those up. I also went to Cape Cod & Nantucket last weekend & tried offerings from Cape Cod Brewery (Hyannis) & Cisco Brewery (Nantucket). These will be on my short list also, Just a starting list to get us in the mood. Anyone else care to share?

This is what I'm talking about. A lot of folks can learn a thing or 2 about tailgaiting from coachcap.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
cap can i recommend a western mass drank for u? i went to school up there for 4 years so i have had a few:D

every once in a while on weekday nights a group of us would go to paper city brewery in holyoke. just up the road a bit from springfield. we would drink for free the first couple then pay for a couple and in return we would box beers with staff members. they would also let us bring some home which was great. it was always a enjoyable time. they have some good brews. my favorites are the "dam ale", "1 ear monkey" and "summit oktoberfest". if you were considering opa opa as a brew choice, personally i am not a fan.

Reaction Score
cap can i recommend a western mass drank for u? i went to school up there for 4 years so i have had a few:D

every once in a while on weekday nights a group of us would go to paper city brewery in holyoke. just up the road a bit from springfield. we would drink for free the first couple then pay for a couple and in return we would box beers with staff members. they would also let us bring some home which was great. it was always a enjoyable time. they have some good brews. my favorites are the "dam ale", "1 ear monkey" and "summit oktoberfest". if you were considering opa opa as a brew choice, personally i am not a fan.
I think that they were at the Rent in May. Very tasty.

Reaction Score

Wow. As obsessive as I can get about my tailgates, we're still in July.

Reaction Score
Just wondering how everyone organizes what people bring to tailgates. We have about 10 people in our tailgate. it is always the same few people who bring the bulk of the food for the tailgate. It always seems like it comes down to the last day before we get everyone to respond and organize what people are bringing. I look around to other tailgates and see tons of food and different varieties. We usually have a couple different things and lots of times people dont bring enough to feed everyone. Im not one to really care about spending money, but when i bring the grill, propane, utensils, tent etc. and then go buy $50 worth of meat and its the only thing at the tailgate worth eatting, and not to mention by the time i am done cooking its gone, its going on 5 years and is starting to frustrate me. Would love to hear how people organize their tailgate and how they get everyone to pitch i.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Would love to hear how people organize their tailgate and how they get everyone to pitch i.

LOL, me too. I am that same guy. I try to get the menu to vary but I end up setting a decent table and have people show that show.

I do a lot and the friends appreciate it, but I am the die hard in the group.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just wondering how everyone organizes what people bring to tailgates. We have about 10 people in our tailgate. it is always the same few people who bring the bulk of the food for the tailgate. It always seems like it comes down to the last day before we get everyone to respond and organize what people are bringing. I look around to other tailgates and see tons of food and different varieties. We usually have a couple different things and lots of times people dont bring enough to feed everyone. Im not one to really care about spending money, but when i bring the grill, propane, utensils, tent etc. and then go buy $50 worth of meat and its the only thing at the tailgate worth eatting, and not to mention by the time i am done cooking its gone, its going on 5 years and is starting to frustrate me. Would love to hear how people organize their tailgate and how they get everyone to pitch i.
Sounds like you need better friends. haha just kiding. :)

We've had that problem too... for us, it works out best when we break our group in to teams of 2 or 3, and then each "sub-group" takes turns with the tailgate. And sorta like coachcap, each tailgate menu relates somehow to the visiting team. If someone extra is just coming for a game, we ask them to bring an extra dish or some beers.

Reaction Score

Do they at least put in $$$ for all the things you bring? I usually go with a group of 8. We agree on a menu, and then 2 of us buy the food. But everyone pitches in with cooking and setting up. And everyone gives money towards the food.

We always have specialty food, but the key is to buy a huge pack of hot dogs and hamburgers. At least that way, everyone will be able to eat.

Reaction Score
Our core group is 4 couples. Each couple takes a game to plan an appropriate menu, then designates items to bring according to the menu theme. Everyone brings beverages according to personal tastes.
Let's use the UMass game as an example: Theme: New England fall harvest. What's more New England than creamy clam chowder? (time saving tip-I'll get take out from Sam the Clams in Southington) Cooking a Yankee pot roast in a crock pot is a no brainer as it's both a time saver & allows time to do other prep work if necessary. I'm a dessertaholic, so getting the little princess (or the Mrs.) to bake orange-cranberry-nut bread won't take any arm twisting, as I'm doing the packing of the vehicle & prep while everyone's at work. One of the couples will bring a fruit tray (Costco, B.J.'s, Stop & Shop, Big Y, Price Chopper, you get the idea). Another couple will bring a themed surprise dish (apple pie maybe as it can be baked a day or 2 in advance), & the last couple will bring an appetizer. Simple delegation of responsibility with a caveat: If you anticipate guests(e.g. son & his girl friend, in-laws) let everyone know so that there's plenty to go around. We have 8 in the core group & are planning food for 16.

Edit: It doesn't help if your group has slackers (mine doesn't). The way to get "train" a slacker is to task him with the planning & charge of the next tailgate. If he's sensible, avoiding public embarrassment will get him in-line. If not, then you're $crewed.

Reaction Score

Coach, If Zagats rated tailgating, you would receive more stars than a 300 lb HS player that runs a 3.5 forty and squats 900 lbs.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
one big cup of.... BLOOD... lets roll this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no excuses fill the seats every game and be loud!!!!! we win we drink !!!!! sec 241!!! baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom