Tabor Academy vs Worcester Academy game replay | The Boneyard

Tabor Academy vs Worcester Academy game replay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Full game replay from the game last night. Earlier this season I was very impressed with Worcester's Aliyah Boston, a 6-4 post when I saw them play a couple games. She is a true freshman which you don't see very often in the New England Prep league, almost every player has repeated a year at some point. For Tabor, the big 3 of Molly Bent, Araion Bradshaw, and Shannon Ryan are very tough to stop. I'm off to work and won't be able to watch it until later tonight, so if anyone watches it if they could give a recap/analysis of how the game went that would be great. Thanks

http://thecube.com/event/worcester-academy-vs-tabor-gvbb-616585#ifrndnloc

Reaction Score
My niece's daughter is starting point guard for Loomis Chafee. They are playing Tabor on Saturday.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Husky: that Loomis/Tabor game is at Tabor...correct? If it is at Loomis, please post the time....I would go...for sure.

Mass: got a player comparison for the Boston kid?

Reaction Score
Husky: that Loomis/Tabor game is at Tabor...correct? If it is at Loomis, please post the time....I would go...for sure.

Mass: got a player comparison for the Boston kid?
Yes at Tabor 4:00

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Full game replay from the game last night. Earlier this season I was very impressed with Worcester's Aliyah Boston, a 6-4 post when I saw them play a couple games. She is a true freshman which you don't see very often in the New England Prep league, almost every player has repeated a year at some point. For Tabor, the big 3 of Molly Bent, Araion Bradshaw, and Shannon Ryan are very tough to stop. I'm off to work and won't be able to watch it until later tonight, so if anyone watches it if they could give a recap/analysis of how the game went that would be great. Thanks

http://thecube.com/event/worcester-academy-vs-tabor-gvbb-616585#ifrndnloc

Thanks to Masshusky, I checked out the first half and the very end of that game. Bent was visibly efficient at both ends of the court. Several steals and defensive rebounds; several offensive rebounds because almost every time a Tabor shot went up, she headed to the basket; no excessive or aimless dribbling; nice mid-range pull-up jumper. No flash, just quick, effective play with all the signs of great court sense. Impressive.

When I coached boys basketball in Mass in the late 60's, I had to coach vs. a Dee Rowe Worcester team and got obliterated. He was playing a 2-3 zone, mostly because his back line of post-grads went 6-4, 6-5, and 6-7. In later years, coaching a girls team in New Haven, our team went to the New England Prep tournament (won it once) but played Tabor, and other large Mass schools. Our league was mostly CT teams: Loomis, Suffield, Choate, etc., with several teams bolstered by post-grads. Some stiff competition, but it's gotten stiffer with a generally higher level of skill now. But I must confess I can't watch much of the solo dribble style of offense.

Reaction Score
Just watched the game. Tabor won 74-53 to move to 15-1 on the year. Worcester fell to 17-3. For Tabor, Molly Bent led the charge with 24 points (10-16 fg*, 2-3 3fg, 2-2 ft), 7 rebounds (4 Defensive, 3 Offensive), 5 assists, 6 steals, and 2 turnovers. 6'5 Boston College commit Shannon Ryan had 14 points (7-10 fg's*), 8 rebounds (5 offensive, 3 defensive), 1 assists, and 1 turnover. South Carolina commit Araion Bradshaw had 5 points (2-4 fg, 0-1 3fg, 1-3 ft), 3 rebounds (3 defensive), 4 assists, 4 steals, and 2 turnovers. I was also very impressed with sophomore Emma Squires who had a very good game off the bench but I didn't keep track of her stat line.

*I didn't know if blocked shots counted as a missed field goal, if it does Bent was blocked once and Ryan was blocked 3 times, so that would be added to their field goal attempts.

For Worcester, the freshman Aliyah Boston was in foul trouble most of the day and only had a line of 6 points (3-6 fg's), 5 rebounds (1 offensive, 4 defensive), 4 blocks, and 1 steal. They mentioned on the broadcast that she is very young for her grade and just turned 14 years old. I think she has a very bright future, moves very well for her size and is very athletic with a good sense of the game. Brown commit Abby O'Keefe had a pretty good game as well for Worcester.

Tabor played a very good 1-3-1 trap defense that made it difficult for the Worcester offense to get good looks. Molly played a very efficient game and showed that she can score in a multitude of ways (fast break, driving to the basket, pull up mid range jumpers off the pass and dribble, and knocking down 3 pointers). Shannon Ryan, in my opinion from watching a few games this season will have a very successful career at BC, she is big with a good post game and can knock down 8-12 foot jump shots. Araion Bradshaw shows flashes of brilliance but seems to become invisible for stretches of the game. She did play a good defensive game at the top of the 1-3-1. If she could put it together and keep her top intensity level all game she has the potential to be a very good player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
*Blocked shots should be counted as attempts (they lead to rebounds as well for whoever comes up with the ball after the block.)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With her skill, hustle, and IQ, it's absurd Bent isn't somewhere in the top 50 players of her class.

Found a comment from her AAU coach made months before UConn's interest in her in which he said that Bent had hoped to be recruited by Ivy League schools but he felt she was good enough to play for Duke or Notre Dame. The more I watch her the more I think the recruiting pubs have missed the boat.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With her skill, hustle, and IQ, it's absurd Bent isn't somewhere in the top 50 players of her class.

Found a comment from her AAU coach made months before UConn's interest in her in which he said that Bent had hoped to be recruited by Ivy League schools but he felt she was good enough to play for Duke or Notre Dame. The more I watch her the more I think the recruiting pubs have missed the boat.
Couple of thoughts:
It really is a wasteland north of NYC in the northeast - there just are not that many good prospects that crop up in New England or even upstate NY, so none of the folks doing the evaluations bother to come here. If a player doesn't get on a significant AAU team (and that means travel to NYC or Philly they get very little exposure.

That is especially true for a player under six foot - there are literally thousands of HS girls playing basketball that are under six foot tall so it is almost impossible to create buzz about one who is not being exposed in the showcase events.

Players like Edwards and AEH go off to NJ prep school for a reason - much more exposure.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts:
It really is a wasteland north of NYC in the northeast - there just are not that many good prospects that crop up in New England or even upstate NY, so none of the folks doing the evaluations bother to come here. If a player doesn't get on a significant AAU team (and that means travel to NYC or Philly they get very little exposure.

Good points. I'd think she'd have had more exposure since giving her verbal to UConn though. And she's got a pretty highly rated teammate so someone at these prospect pubs is watching.

Reaction Score

Wow. she is that good?

I'm pretty excited to see how Irwin, Bent, and for the following year Hunter and Gordon look in UCONN uniform. I know Dangerfield has got "it." These kids are not top 5 / top 10 but appears they were actively pursued.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Just watched the game. Tabor won 74-53 to move to 15-1 on the year. Worcester fell to 17-3. For Tabor, Molly Bent led the charge with 24 points (10-16 fg*, 2-3 3fg, 2-2 ft), 7 rebounds (4 Defensive, 3 Offensive), 5 assists, 6 steals, and 2 turnovers. 6'5 Boston College commit Shannon Ryan had 14 points (7-10 fg's*), 8 rebounds (5 offensive, 3 defensive), 1 assists, and 1 turnover. South Carolina commit Araion Bradshaw had 5 points (2-4 fg, 0-1 3fg, 1-3 ft), 3 rebounds (3 defensive), 4 assists, 4 steals, and 2 turnovers. I was also very impressed with sophomore Emma Squires who had a very good game off the bench but I didn't keep track of her stat line.

*I didn't know if blocked shots counted as a missed field goal, if it does Bent was blocked once and Ryan was blocked 3 times, so that would be added to their field goal attempts.

For Worcester, the freshman Aliyah Boston was in foul trouble most of the day and only had a line of 6 points (3-6 fg's), 5 rebounds (1 offensive, 4 defensive), 4 blocks, and 1 steal. They mentioned on the broadcast that she is very young for her grade and just turned 14 years old. I think she has a very bright future, moves very well for her size and is very athletic with a good sense of the game. Brown commit Abby O'Keefe had a pretty good game as well for Worcester.

Tabor played a very good 1-3-1 trap defense that made it difficult for the Worcester offense to get good looks. Molly played a very efficient game and showed that she can score in a multitude of ways (fast break, driving to the basket, pull up mid range jumpers off the pass and dribble, and knocking down 3 pointers). Shannon Ryan, in my opinion from watching a few games this season will have a very successful career at BC, she is big with a good post game and can knock down 8-12 foot jump shots. Araion Bradshaw shows flashes of brilliance but seems to become invisible for stretches of the game. She did play a good defensive game at the top of the 1-3-1. If she could put it together and keep her top intensity level all game she has the potential to be a very good player.

Not to hijack the thread but can you give me a quick analysis of what you think about Araion Bradshaw. It's preferred that she come in and be ready to compete day one at PG.. we don't really have the luxury of taking on projects at that position right now. Very unlikely she starts but she will definitely get plenty of playing time next year.

Reaction Score
Not to hijack the thread but can you give me a quick analysis of what you think about Araion Bradshaw. It's preferred that she come in and be ready to compete day one at PG.. we don't really have the luxury of taking on projects at that position right now. Very unlikely she starts but she will definitely get plenty of playing time next year.

I think she has the potential to be a very good player. She has natural born talent similar to Crystal Dangerfield, incredibly fast, strong, and has great leaping ability. Her physical talent is what makes her such an intriguing recruit to coaches. She is a streaky shooter but has a pretty smooth stroke. When she wants to be, she is a fantastic defender. Where the issue with her arises in my opinion is that her effort isn't always where it needs to be. She stands around a lot, can be lazy and disappears during the game from time to time. When she is going full blast, which I'm assuming will be what Dawn makes her do or she won't be playing much next year, she can be an impact player at the college level. I also think the system that Tabor plays works against her a little bit. There systematically isn't much movement by the players without the ball so it can be difficult for her to get to the basket without defenders off the ball bearing down on her. I think this effects Bent a bit too. Overall, from what I've seen, I think you are getting a player with massive upside that if coached hard can be a really effective player.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think she has the potential to be a very good player. She has natural born talent similar to Crystal Dangerfield, incredibly fast, strong, and has great leaping ability. Her physical talent is what makes her such an intriguing recruit to coaches. She is a streaky shooter but has a pretty smooth stroke. When she wants to be, she is a fantastic defender. Where the issue with her arises in my opinion is that her effort isn't always where it needs to be. She stands around a lot, can be lazy and disappears during the game from time to time. When she is going full blast, which I'm assuming will be what Dawn makes her do or she won't be playing much next year, she can be an impact player at the college level. I also think the system that Tabor plays works against her a little bit. There systematically isn't much movement by the players without the ball so it can be difficult for her to get to the basket without defenders off the ball bearing down on her. I think this effects Bent a bit too. Overall, from what I've seen, I think you are getting a player with massive upside that if coached hard can be a really effective player.

Thanks. I like what little I've seen of her. Dawn is very excited about Bradshaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom