Syracuse.com: Top 15 Coaching Jobs in CBB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Syracuse.com: Top 15 Coaching Jobs in CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Come on. What did you guys expect from a Cuse site? This should not in any way be a surprise.

Reaction Score
100% if UConn moved to the Big 10 Big 12 or ACC tomnorrow they would be easily in the top 10. However when looking at coaching jobs its fair to question how good of a job it is anymore. We are not in a major conference which really hurts us. As far as recruiting sure there's nothing in Connecticut but it's close enough to NY/Philly/Boston/ Baltimore that its not that big of a strike, and UConn has upgraded their facilities too. I think everyone confuses best coaching job with best program....they can be entirely different things. If your're ranking the best programs UConn is top 10 easily. But, seriously hypothetically if Kevin Ollie had went to OKC what big name coach would be running to coach in the AAC....I think its fair to leave UConn off the elite of the elite when it comes to coaching jobs. Doesn't mean its a bad job by any means and the only reason Syracuse is perceived as better is because of their conference. They were dead on about Indiana though....you don't have to leave the state for elite talent and you're in a major conference with a passionate fan base. I grew up in Indiana for many people Indiana Basketball is a religion.
If Ollie left for OKC, UConn would have gotten an elite coach. Thankfully it's something we don't have to think about.

Reaction Score
there are so many thoughtful responses in this post, I don't have much to add

but if you google best college coaching jobs in America - Syracuse regularly comes in the top 10

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Who *u*c*k cares if our NC's were flukey or not? The NC game against Butler was ugly and boring if you weren't a UCONN or Butler fan. 53-41 is not a pretty NC game. But bottom line we have 4. FOUR. That's better than 99% of the other schools out there. It makes no difference how they were won. The only "asterisk" would be if any of the NC's were vacated. Other than that, we got 4 and that is never going to change (until we win more)...

Reaction Score

but if you google best college coaching jobs in America - Syracuse regularly comes in the top 10
They probably are, best that does not change the stupidity regarding the assessment of UConn and "fluky"

Reaction Score
If Ollie left for OKC, UConn would have gotten an elite coach. Thankfully it's something we don't have to think about.
I hope so and maybe you're right but I don't think its automatic...but I'm with ya thank god we don't have to worry about it.....And if Ollie withdrew his name from that job then what NBA job would he even consider? ...jobs with 2 superstars already there don't open often...

Reaction Score

Syracuse also comes up if you google "College Basketball Scandal". So there's that.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
@Offhegoes I would love to hear if you get a response to that email. It's hard to say I am not bias, I dont think you can call any championship fluky; but the only real reason Cuse even has a championship is Melo. I'm gonna try and play devils advocate here; Carrier Dome is massive so they can fit a lot of people in there that have nothing else to do in upstate New York. (Bored fan base in large quantity).

Reaction Score
I hope so and maybe you're right but I don't think its automatic...but I'm with ya thank god we don't have to worry about it.....And if Ollie withdrew his name from that job then what NBA job would he even consider? ...jobs with 2 superstars already there don't open often...

Unless he "took his name out of consideration." There are no indications he was actually offered the job.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score

Are you actually quoting the "wisdom of the masses"? That's called argumentum ad populum and is considered a logical fallacy. So you are correct, you didn't have much to add.

Reaction Score
It sucks the media portrays KO as a lame duck coach who at any minute could jet for the league . This is basically a smear campaign for recruiting ...can't recall this happening with any other coach yearly (except cal).

Reaction Score
People....SYRACUSE.COM...where would you expect them to put UConn? Next, we will get 3 pages of anger over a poll posted on eagleoutsider....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
it depends on how you define a good coaching job. If a school has a lot of financial resources and doesn't seem to care about results a coach could do basically nothing and stay there for years and years, like texas or syracuse. Those would be good jobs, high pay, no pressure. A job like kentucky or ucla may not be as good under that criteria because they expect to win. Of course coaching for a program that has shown it can be successful would also be a good job even if there was more pressure.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
tyler-olander-uconn-basketball-courtesy-bob-stowell-uconn.jpg
= 2
BoeheimNose.jpg
= 1

Reaction Score
Put UConn in any major conference and they move instantly to the top 5 with Louisville falling somewhere outside of it since they never should've been ahead of Duke to begin with.

But if you're looking at ease of job and not prestige, Texas and Arizona are significantly undervalued. They're always going to be in a position outrecruit because of geography and appeal. Shaka is going to kill it there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We're all entitled to our opinions. What those dissing UConn seem to be forgetting is that UConn was special enough for JC to come to this school and put his stamp on the program. His successor is continuing the success while spurning NBA offers for this "honorable mention" university. I'll take their opinions over people sitting on the sidelines who could only wish they had the opportunity to create something concrete vs. the abstraction of meaningless opinions. I'll take JC's and KO's opinions over all the d**kish opinions out there who disagree.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Who *u*c*k cares if our NC's were flukey or not? The NC game against Butler was ugly and boring if you weren't a UCONN or Butler fan. 53-41 is not a pretty NC game. But bottom line we have 4. FOUR. That's better than 99% of the other schools out there. It makes no difference how they were won. The only "asterisk" would be if any of the NC's were vacated. Other than that, we got 4 and that is never going to change (until we win more)...

Overall, I'm not disagreeing with you, but an ugly game does not == fluke. For the record, our defense was absolutely suffocating in that game and we beat a team that had been a half-court heave away from winning the title a year earlier. Going 14-0 in single-elimination games is impressive, no matter which way you cut it. Fluke my a*s*s*.

Reaction Score
Lmao they would put themselves in there at #8.

Then have the nerve to call the last two titles fluky?
Coming from that overrated, envious program

The definition of 'flucky' is a national title 'earned' during a season that the NCAA conveniently skipped-over when stripping the program of wins due to multi-year violations because, gee, no violations happened that year. The chances of that being the truth are about as high Carmelo Anthony winning an NBA title with the Knicks next season.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12990885

4 minutes in Dan Dakich says UCONN is not a great job and Syracuse is a much better job than UCONN but not on the level with Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc.

Dan Dakich then says Gonazaga is a great job but UCONN is not. What?!

Oklahama State not a great job. Why? According to Dakich they are not the premier state school and they haven't won enough. What?! Isn't UCONN the premier state school and has 4 championships?

WOW! WOW! UCONN gets no respect. WOW!

I liked Dakich but man what a dope he must be....? really a fn moron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member