Swish: Why wcbb might be stuck in the red | The Boneyard

Swish: Why wcbb might be stuck in the red

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
TADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something my wife and I have trumpeted forever - there are always folks that will give to football and, depending somewhat on the program strength, men's basketball. Women's basketball and (even worse) other women's sports, not so much.

Seat licenses or whatever you want to call them are a factor. Here in AZ, for seats I like a lot but hardly the best in the stadium (and too difficult to describe), the donation is larger than the cost for the football season ticket. We also pay a $100. "donation" for the right to have 2 seats in the infield at Softball, FWIW. No premiums for WVB or WBB. I'm not complaining, I direct the remainder of my donation here to WBB and WVB and my donation to Rutgers is pretty exclusively earmarked for WBB.

For many years at Rutgers, the Cager's Club fan club was mostly about getting out the fans, while the University raised the funds. Without going into detail, the Cager's Club now has required donation levels from fund raisers for the right to continue to exist.

In the linked table, by the way, I suspect seat licenses may be a factor at Wisconsin, based on a visit there probably over 10 years ago. IIRC, one of the fans told us they paid a fee that covered (and was presumably split) between Ice Hockey, Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball. I'm not sure, but I don't think you had to buy tix in all, but it was your seat for any sport you wanted.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting and I hadn't really thought of it in this light, but the numbers are not surprising at all when you look at University Endowments in general and the history involved - while most universities are now coed in many cases having merged with their sister/brother schools there are a few remaining colleges that are predominantly women only and the head start that men's schools had will be very difficult to overtake. In the not that distant past you had schools like:
Harvard/Radcliff
Columbia/Barnard
(Part of the whole Ivy League/Seven Sisters grouping of schools)
The endowments for the men's half of each of those absolutely dwarfed the women's school even though they were drawing from the exact same demographic and in many cases from the exact same family. The difference - the men in those families were making the financial decisions especially when it came to charitable contributions and the men's schools were reaping the vast majority of the endowment contributions.
While there has been significant changes in society those changes have not worked their way through all aspects and the equality of financial power between men and women is still far out of whack. It will probably not balance out in my lifetime though I certainly hope the earnings rate will continue to diminish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom