Sun Make it 4 in a Row | The Boneyard

Sun Make it 4 in a Row

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
No Allie? No Chiney? NO PROBLEM! Allie still being held out with a strained knee, and Chiney was "walking" at Stanford's graduation ceremony - congrats to her; big accomplishment.

Another good outing for the Sun despite being short-handed. 5 players in double figures but 3-point and free throw shooting was not great. Alyssa Thomas made the high-light reel against Anna Cruz with a terrific spin move that had the place rocking! I love the way Alyssa plays this game (tough and aggressive with a steady disposition, no drama or unnecessary gamesmanship with the refs) and I suspect she will keep getting better. Makes me wish I had watched her more in college.

The 2 Kelseys as well as Kayla Pedersen stepped up well in Chiney's absence. Any time Bill Laimbeer loses its a good day (heck, I'd pay to see him lose at checkers!).

PS - Cappie should have been ejected for her right hook into McCray's neck (about 2:30 to go in the first half). They called it Flagrant 1 not F2.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Sun now have a 4-game winning streak and are at .500 (6-6). They play Indiana again on Tuesday, again at home, before an 8-day gap in their schedule. The season is only one third complete and the Sun have 60% of the wins that they had last year.

And on this board, apparent ennui. There were far more posts about the Sun when they were 2-6, because that fit the "fire Donovan" theme better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Sun is/are playing better. A win without Chiney is big.

This season is hard to describe. Minnesota is slumping a bit, Los Angeles is 3-6, and some key players are out: Syl, Catch, and Elena, at least. Just when one team looks either really good or really bad, they turn it around.

Reaction Score
The Sun now have a 4-game winning streak and are at .500 (6-6). They play Indiana again on Tuesday, again at home, before an 8-day gap in their schedule. The season is only one third complete and the Sun have 60% of the wins that they had last year.

And on this board, apparent ennui. There were far more posts about the Sun when they were 2-6, because that fit the "fire Donovan" theme better.

A fan I sat next to when I went up to the Mohegan Sun didn't like Donovan at all. Chiney has looked great all season and if Thomas is starting to find her niche then they may be a playoff-bound team. I want to visit the Mohegan Sun to watch them again this season.

The whole league looks like it'll be a dogfight for playoff spots this year with the influx of rookie talent.

Reaction Score
Went to the last game and I really like this team. Chiney had one off game and other than that she has been awesome. I'm so glad they picked up Alyssa Thomas. As she plays more she gets even better. Love Alyssa's defense. Kelsey Griffin looks like a different person this year. I think that Bentley is one of the best pick ups of all. Young team including Kelsey Bone but quite a bit of talent.

psconn

Reaction Score
Went to the last game and I really like this team. Chiney had one off game and other than that she has been awesome. I'm so glad they picked up Alyssa Thomas. As she plays more she gets even better. Love Alyssa's defense. Kelsey Griffin looks like a different person this year. I think that Bentley is one of the best pick ups of all. Young team including Kelsey Bone but quite a bit of talent.

Adding Chelsea Gray next year also. :)

Reaction Score

I like how Thomas is coming along but she has to start using her head when she gets under the basket . I've seen her just take shots without jumping and the taller players just swat them away. At least try to fake them out or preferably use a fallaway jumper.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sun won the trade.

Well, now, that is a new sentiment being expressed on this board!

That will be even more the case if the Liberty prove to be a cellar-dwellling team this year, so that their #1 pick (which has already been traded to the Sun) is a lottery pick and possibly a #1 overall pick.

It might mean that KML won't have to move too far for her pro career.

I still don't understand why the Liberty felt that they had to give up so much (#1 this year aka Alyssa Thomas, #1 next year, and Bone, who was their #1 last year) to get Tina. If they hadn't made a deal, she would presumably have sat out this summer and played for the Liberty next summer. Is getting her a year earlier worth giving up three #1 picks?

Reaction Score
. . . That will be even more the case if the Liberty prove to be a cellar-dwellling team this year, so that their #1 pick (which has already been traded to the Sun) is a lottery pick and possibly a #1 overall pick. . . .

That's a good point. It gives us another reason (besides Laimbeer) to root against the Liberty.

psconn

Reaction Score

That will be even more the case if the Liberty prove to be a cellar-dwellling team this year, so that their #1 pick (which has already been traded to the Sun) is a lottery pick and possibly a #1 overall pick.

I still don't understand why the Liberty felt that they had to give up so much (#1 this year aka Alyssa Thomas, #1 next year, and Bone, who was their #1 last year) to get Tina. If they hadn't made a deal, she would presumably have sat out this summer and played for the Liberty next summer. Is getting her a year earlier worth giving up three #1 picks?

I don't understand this either, Bill may have simply been blinded by the light of Tina's star. These kind of "homecoming" trades put fannies in the seats and the move back to MSG and Tina's return home probably felt like the perfect PR storm. There is no WNBA franchise that couldn't use a bump like that. I won't go so far as to say the Sun "won" the trade (Tina is a very special player). If Tina was a happy camper in CT and you knew Chiney was on the way, would you willingly trade Tina for Alyssa, Kelsey B and a first rounder from a fairly weak class ? I don't think I could do that. My assumption would be that NY would rise, not fall, in the standings with Tina on the roster and that first rounder might not be very high in the draft (that may yet be the case, but the Liberty would have to really turn it around in a hurry).

Anyway, the Sun did the best they could do and I see tons of real, and potential, talent on the floor. Chiney's numbers speak for themselves but she will get better. Alyssa is a joy to watch and she looks like the type that can keep getting better. Kelsey gets herself in great position offensively but has to finish more consistently. Like Alyssa, she looks like she can keep getting better too. And NY's #1 next year? Who knows. Hightower is a great defender and a capable scorer. Bentley is producing nicely and seems like a good teammate as well. Griffin has to be seen to be appreciated. Its a mistake to just look at the box score to evaluate her worth to the team. Add a healthy Chelsea Gray, and/or a trade or two and the pieces start looking OK. I do like this team's enthusiasm, youth and toughness. Sadly, after all's said and done next year, there may even fewer UConn players on the roster (unless we get KML and/or Kiah in the draft), but I'm ok with that as long as the team gets better as a result.

Ramble concluded. :)

Reaction Score

Look at the video of Laimbeer on the WNBA site. He says that he knows that the team won't pick up the Triangle offense this year. He's looking long term.

Reaction Score

It's now up to 5.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is tough to watch again this year.

I find there WNBA exciting to watch. Better competition, league balance, great performances and every night you never know who will come out on top. I'll keep watching and enjoying it...........

Reaction Score
I find there WNBA exciting to watch. Better competition, league balance, great performances and every night you never know who will come out on top. I'll keep watching and enjoying it......
Me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle