Summer transfers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Summer transfers

Reaction Score
I think Beaudry will be a strong back up and a welcome addition to the team, but can't see Edsall giving the starting job to a division 2 QB over a freshman redshirt who was a solid three star recruit from Georgia, and Edsall's biggest recruit since he took the job.

I think the plan is to have something called "Practice" this summer after which Edsall will give the job to whoever performs the best.. "Three stars", "D2" or "former walk-on transfer" no longer mean a damn thing. If the situation becomes muddled expect two QB's vs Wagner.

I can't see Edsall being dumb enough to ignore performance.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wish both kids all the best where ever they land. I hope they finish college and go on to whatever they want in life. I'm not going to put down either of them for deciding to transfer.

Dixon's transfer is an odd choice just because of lack of depth at that position and the fact he started almost every game last season. Impact player or not, the kid was going to play a lot.

Washington does not surprise me. Of the two QBs on our roster before RE brought in the transfers, I had a feeling it would be MW who'd leave. His trouble with academics probably didn't sit well with Randy, especially if they were still going on. While he got a lot of reps in the spring, he wasn't Randy's recruit and while that is a stupid reason for coaches and/or players to not mesh, it happens. Steven Krajewski was Randy's guy, plus the ones brought in. I think MW saw what the future held and decided to use his remaining eligibility elsewhere.

I wish them both all the best.

(Who wants to already start the the MW update thread so people can show why it was a huge loss when/if he does well wherever he lands :p)

C

Chief00

Baffled by this one. You can't have 6'3 WRs with speed walking out the door.
He is exactly what we needed, already here and walking out the door. Guys transfer but something went wrong here. We have loss two of our top receivers (Dixon and Davis) at a position we lack depth in.

Reaction Score
I think Beaudry will be a strong back up and a welcome addition to the team, but can't see Edsall giving the starting job to a division 2 QB over a freshman redshirt who was a solid three star recruit from Georgia, and Edsall's biggest recruit since he took the job.

That’s possible, but by all accounts, Beaudry is a good QB that fell through the cracks. If Krajewski isn’t ready, and many think he isn’t, Beaudry is your guy.

My guess is we see Beaudry first and depending on how that goes, Krajewski is next up.

C

Chief00

I haven’t been paying much attention to the football team, but is it conceivable that we could be even worse this year? I guess as the defense gets more experience they should naturally improve, but will it likely be enough to offset the loss of Pindell on offense? I’m unaware of people’s general expectation around here.

I’m necessarily speaking to the record either, just our ability to keep games relatively competitive
I agree, the offense looks worse unless a new QB exceeds expectations.

Reaction Score
I wish both kids all the best where ever they land. I hope they finish college and go on to whatever they want in life. I'm not going to put down either of them for deciding to transfer.

Dixon's transfer is an odd choice just because of lack of depth at that position and the fact he started almost every game last season. Impact player or not, the kid was going to play a lot.

Washington does not surprise me. Of the two QBs on our roster before RE brought in the transfers, I had a feeling it would be MW who'd leave. His trouble with academics probably didn't sit well with Randy, especially if they were still going on. While he got a lot of reps in the spring, he wasn't Randy's recruit and while that is a stupid reason for coaches and/or players to not mesh, it happens. Steven Krajewski was Randy's guy, plus the ones brought in. I think MW saw what the future held and decided to use his remaining eligibility elsewhere.

(Who wants to already start the the MW update thread so people can show why it was a huge loss when/if he does well wherever he lands :p)

All good, except ..... he was a HCRE recruit.

Reaction Score
He is exactly what we needed, already here and walking out the door. Guys transfer but something went wrong here. We have loss two of our top receivers (Dixon and Davis) at a position we lack depth in.
Chief I thought you would have some insight as to what happened here. Odd that you don’t know what went wrong or even have a Chief’s Brief on this one?.....

Reaction Score
When a QB has academic issues, it’s a major red flag as QB requires a lot of studying and it is the most important position on the field. Plus, how can you rely on a QB if he has academic risks?

As for Dixon, he looks like he could have been a major contributor, but he hadn’t proven that yet. His production at WR dropped considerably from freshman to sophomore year even though UConn was not loaded at WR. As a KR, he was not a star as UConn was ranked 106 out of 130 teams in kickoff return yards per return. Kick returns used to be a UConn strength under Edsall 1.0.

Reaction Score
If the spread in those losses is under 7 points a game in November, then yes. How they play the last four games will say a lot.
3,1,0 is a tough sell that things are going in the right direction. The new president has to take hard look at football and the athletic director and see what needs to be done.

Reaction Score
This is all part of the culture change that was turned up a notch when Matt King took over S&C. Modest talent with perpetual baggage will no longer to be tolerated.
The great Paul Brown was quoted when asked about annoying players - "We will tolerate you until we can replace you"
Well, this is what we are left with when we (HCRE 2.0) blame it all on the players. You could see this coming the last few weeks of the season. Now we have former players playing at GTech, LaTech ,Northern Illinois, Minnesota and Cincinnati (all at least potential Bowl teams) that must have had "perpetual" baggage.
In the interim, I hope we have answers to replace these experienced, veteran guys.
"Next man up" is a wonderful catch phrase, but our motto is "Next freshman up" or "next transfer up".
NEVER FORGET - all these transfers we brought in LEFT other programs. Who is to say they don't have perpetual baggage. "The Devil you know....."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The great Paul Brown was quoted when asked about annoying players - "We will tolerate you until we can replace you"
Well, this is what we are left with when we (HCRE 2.0) blame it all on the players. You could see this coming the last few weeks of the season. Now we have former players playing at GTech, LaTech ,Northern Illinois, Minnesota and Cincinnati (all at least potential Bowl teams) that must have had "perpetual" baggage.
In the interim, I hope we have answers to replace these experienced, veteran guys.
"Next man up" is a wonderful catch phrase, but our motto is "Next freshman up" or "next transfer up".
NEVER FORGET - all these transfers we brought in LEFT other programs. Who is to say they don't have perpetual baggage. "The Devil you know....."
What people don’t know is that most the guys that have left were guys not particularly helpful with the program on the inside. I said most, not all of the guys.

Randy has tried to make it work, but when talented guys give 80% and don’t like being called on to give 100%, eventually one side pushes for an end.

There is also just a chasm that is hard to overcome for both the player and the coach when the original coach departs. Some just never accept the new staff.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I am sure Palatine is already working on his "MW was the best QB and RE never gave him a chance" posts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If Edsall wins no games in year 3, is it worth giving him a 4th?

I follow the program because I can't quit it at this point, but I ultimately were sunk regardless of what we do. I do think a new coach, with a different recruiting strategy/pitch is bound to be more successful than what RE has been in his second stint here.

Reaction Score
I find it a little troubling when our players are transferring to FBS schools and our incoming transfers are coming from D2. I do have high hopes from the RB from Toledo.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can't see Edsall being dumb enough to ignore performance.

Not dumb enough, but stubborn enough.

Edsall is all about process and behind the scenes stuff and will absolutely park a player who thinks they only have to perform 60 minutes on game day.

Reaction Score
When a QB has academic issues, it’s a major red flag as QB requires a lot of studying and it is the most important position on the field. Plus, how can you rely on a QB if he has academic risks?

As for Dixon, he looks like he could have been a major contributor, but he hadn’t proven that yet. His production at WR dropped considerably from freshman to sophomore year even though UConn was not loaded at WR. As a KR, he was not a star as UConn was ranked 106 out of 130 teams in kickoff return yards per return. Kick returns used to be a UConn strength under Edsall 1.0.
I think much of the production drop is due to the different offense. Lashlee's offense created a lot of downfield plays and frequently got WR's open. Last year there was minimal vertical passing attack. I agree that Dixon was somewhat unproven, but considering the other WR options right now, he would have been an important player to bring back.

Reaction Score
100% disagree.. May the best man win the starting job... That's how it works... With that said, I hope they push each other so hard that we get the absolute best production out on the field, so that if one goes down (unfortunately) when the other one steps in and we don't miss a beat... Time for the glass half full mindset fellas... I think I'm a little more excited about what we can do than most on this board... Everybody already knows what we couldn't do (over the last few years)... Some of these young pups have been through the ringer for 2 years (redshirts and redshirt froshes), while some got their butts whipped (thrown to the wolves from day 1... DL & DBs in particular... Heck most of the D)...

The best thing about all this? We've circled the wagons... Historically, it's helped us... We get a lot better results, because no one expects us to do diddly... but lose...

Time to shock the world (again)...

Reaction Score
I find it a little troubling when our players are transferring to FBS schools and our incoming transfers are coming from D2. I do have high hopes from the RB from Toledo.
My personal opinion is it costs nothing for an FBS program (P5) to take a transfer (from a non P5) sans offering them a scholarship. Unless you’re a grad transfer, I just don’t see a guy like Dixon getting a scholarship if he goes to a P5 school-initially. He’ll get financial aid and if he balls out then perhaps they pull the trigger. He is an upgraded PWO to them.

Reaction Score
From talking to RE at the coaches event it sounds like Krajewski has no shot to start at this point. The Washington transfer is also no surprise based on his comments.

Reaction Score
I agree, the offense looks worse unless a new QB exceeds expectations.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Beaudry (at 6'5) can do for us... Big guy... They kid from NC State is 6'5 too... so maybe (just maybe) we might have something here....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Exactly how many D2 transfers did we bring in?

Two so far; Mike Beaudry 6'5'' QB from West Florida and Ardell Brown 5'10'' WR from Seton HIll.

From FBS we also brought in Art Thompkins, 5'8'' RB from Toledo (G5 school in the MAC) and coming later this summer is DJ Morgan 6'2'' OLB from Notre Dame.

Also, Dillon Harris 6'0'' LB from Lackawanna JUCO arrived on campus this week.

Beaudry, Morgan and Harris will have two years of eligibility rather than just one.

I think we will bring in two to four more transfers; TE, DL, WR and S (could be a CB we convert to S).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t like that all of the QB’s are pro style.
Could mean a lot of sacks , interceptions(passing under duress).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom