Sue (the writer) re: Dee (her sister) and The W - Analyze This! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sue (the writer) re: Dee (her sister) and The W - Analyze This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not about a great country--or numbers --it's about MONEY!! And Money comes from visibility --catch 22???

"This is a great country - if enough people want something some entity will be happy to sell it to them, at a profit." I'm pretty sure I covered MONEY with my last 3 words, and money does not come from visibility, it comes from demand, pure and simple. Visibility may create demand or it may not. Demand always creates visibility.

Reaction Score
I get concerned when folks throw out statements like this without substantiation. Without it, such statements - "little interest in watching .. female sports.", "..spent a small portion of ...annual outlay in beauty products", added to the original posts' opinion that women aren't as interested in statistics, all this smacks of the cultural/historical sexism that I referred to in my original post. It's not quite "a women's place is in the kitchen", or "barefoot and pregnant", but it still alludes to stereotypes about women as being poor in math, not interested in sports, but fixated on looking pretty. I'd a-thought, here in 2016, that we'd be past that sort of thing - particularly fans of a program that celebrates women for whom athletics, impressive numbers, and the value of work over appearance matter a great deal.

Actually, the number of female watchers of female sports is a substantiated fact, as well as the amount women and men spend on beauty products. No one alluded to women being poor in math nor being disinterested in sport.

The problem is women don't watch/support women's team sports in sufficient numbers for them to be profitable. They will watch women's golf, tennis, and we all get to enjoy copious amounts of Olympic figure skating due to their demand. I watch UConn women's basketball, among other sporting contests. My wife watches the Red Sox, the Patriots, and Bubba Watson.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Actually, the number of female watchers of female sports is a substantiated fact, as well as the amount women and men spend on beauty products. No one alluded to women being poor in math nor being disinterested in sport.

The problem is women don't watch/support women's team sports in sufficient numbers for them to be profitable. They will watch women's golf, tennis, and we all get to enjoy copious amounts of Olympic figure skating due to their demand. I watch UConn women's basketball, among other sporting contests. My wife watches the Red Sox, the Patriots, and Bubba Watson.
" Do women, as fans — who account for about 70 percent of our fanbase in arenas across the league — have less of a mind, or less of an interest in numbers, than their male counterparts?"

IMO - In general, yup. An opinion supported by this site. As far as I can tell, the BY stats geeks are all male. "
" but the reality is that most women have little interest in watching competitive female sports"

Looks like it has been alluded to..

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I get concerned when folks throw out statements like this without substantiation. Without it, such statements - "little interest in watching .. female sports.", "..spent a small portion of ...annual outlay in beauty products", added to the original posts' opinion that women aren't as interested in statistics, all this smacks of the cultural/historical sexism that I referred to in my original post. It's not quite "a women's place is in the kitchen", or "barefoot and pregnant", but it still alludes to stereotypes about women as being poor in math, not interested in sports, but fixated on looking pretty. I'd a-thought, here in 2016, that we'd be past that sort of thing - particularly fans of a program that celebrates women for whom athletics, impressive numbers, and the value of work over appearance matter a great deal.

Pinot, the substantiation is reality, look around. My opinion is formed by a lifetime of observation. Why is it so difficult to accept that men and women may have different interests? The real point is that there should be no gender barriers, but you can't blame sports inequities on sexism - male dominance.

During my time in the military(20+ years) there was huge shift in the role that women played. For the 1st time women were allowed to serve at sea and not just in non combat vessels but also in warships. "Non traditional" jobs became open to women. The military actively encouraged women to migrate into those positions. While some took advantage of the new opportunities, most women still chose (and it was a choice) to serve in administrative, medical and support roles. That does not mean that there were not women that did great jobs in non traditional jobs - only that they were in the minority.

After I retired from the military I worked for an engineering company. My department employed about 250 engineers in several disciplines. How many do you think were female? We had 5, despite the fact that the company actively pursued hiring female engineers as part of their EO/diversity program. There just were not that many candidates available. IIRC at the time (just 10 years ago +/-) female engineers numbered less than 15% of BE grads.

If sexism is what's limiting women's sports opportunities, why don't women simply rise up and demand a fair opportunity in the marketplace? They control a significant portion of the the economy. I'll answer that from my perspective - because most simply don't care. It's not on their radar. They have other concerns. Competitive sports and all the baggage attached that males find so compelling just isn't very high on their interest list.

A test - what percentage of your female friends have a high interest in female sports? Or any sports for that matter. I don't have enough female friends to provide an answer, but my wife does and so does my daughter. Their opinion - female sports fans of female sports are few and far between.

BTW your comment about "women's place in the kitchen" and "barefoot and pregnant" could not be further off base. I found it offensive. You don't know squat about me. Just another example of a knee jerk intellectually brainwashed response.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Nor is the fact (relative to beauty products, etc.) that the exact same pair of trousers or shirt made in the exact same factory will be priced considerably higher if it the label added to it is denominated in lady's size instead of men's. We digress I know, but seeing as you are using cosmetic purchases as part of your argument the fact that it is and has been a male dominated society for so long that objectified and valued beauty in women higher than physical skills or mental acuity created a huge market, and an billion dollar marketing industry to convince women of the need to spend greater and greater sums on products that would increase that value - interestingly the same marketing industry has struggled to break through with men. Though they have succeeded in marketing much more costly toys to their male consumers. I see your cosmetics and raise you fast cars, boats, trucks, snowmobiles, ATVs, lawn equipment, power tools, guns, and all types of sports equipments. They are struggling just as hard to convince women they need these items, even when they color their guns pink, the sales are just a pittance of what their male consumers spend. :rolleyes:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Pinot, the substantiation is reality, look around. My opinion is formed by a lifetime of observation. Why is it so difficult to accept that men and women may have different interests? The real point is that there should be no gender barriers, but you can't blame sports inequities on sexism - male dominance.

During my time in the military(20+ years) there was huge shift in the role that women played. For the 1st time women were allowed to serve at sea and not just in non combat vessels but also in warships. "Non traditional" jobs became open to women. The military actively encouraged women to migrate into those positions. While some took advantage of the new opportunities, most women still chose (and it was a choice) to serve in administrative, medical and support roles. That does not mean that there were not women that did great jobs in non traditional jobs - only that they were in the minority.

After I retired from the military I worked for an engineering company. My department employed about 250 engineers in several disciplines. How many do you think were female? We had 5, despite the fact that the company actively pursued hiring female engineers as part of their EO/diversity program. There just were not that many candidates available. IIRC at the time (just 10 years ago +/-) female engineers numbered less than 15% of BE grads.

If sexism is what's limiting women's sports opportunities, why don't women simply rise up and demand a fair opportunity in the marketplace? They control a significant portion of the the economy. I'll answer that from my perspective - because most simply don't care. It's not on their radar. They have other concerns. Competitive sports and all the baggage attached that males find so compelling just isn't very high on their interest list.

A test - what percentage of your female friends have a high interest in female sports? Or any sports for that matter. I don't have enough female friends to provide an answer, but my wife does and so does my daughter. Their opinion - female sports fans of female sports are few and far between.

BTW your comment about "women's place in the kitchen" and "barefoot and pregnant" could not be further off base. I found it offensive. You don't know squat about me. Just another example of a knee jerk intellectually brainwashed response.
..and, you don't know squat about me, yet you label my position as "knee-jerk intellectually brainwashed".

you're very good at labeling others, but mighty sensitive when you think somebody may have done it to you

Reaction Score
" Do women, as fans — who account for about 70 percent of our fanbase in arenas across the league — have less of a mind, or less of an interest in numbers, than their male counterparts?"

IMO - In general, yup. An opinion supported by this site. As far as I can tell, the BY stats geeks are all male. "
" but the reality is that most women have little interest in watching competitive female sports"

Looks like it has been alluded to..

Not really, just in your mind. The first and second sentences say women have less of an interest in numbers, not that they are poor at them, which was your take. (I was agnostic on this issue, by the way).

The third sentence you misrepresent. My opining "but the reality is that most women have little interest in watching competitive female sports" is not nearly the same as that they are "disinterested in sport" (your characterization). The first quote does not allude to the second if read with a discerning eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom