Stringer Will Get Tournament Bonuses | The Boneyard

Stringer Will Get Tournament Bonuses

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Think she will return in a different capacity NOT as coach.
From the article:
"Following this season, and up to the end of the contract in June 2021, Stringer "may be reassigned to other duties," while still being paid her base salary for the length of the contract after "good-faith" negotiations between Stringer and the AD at that moment.'

Don't see her voluntary walking away from that money but I do see a reassignment as a likely possibility.

Reaction Score
Think she will return in a different capacity NOT as coach.
From the article:
"Following this season, and up to the end of the contract in June 2021, Stringer "may be reassigned to other duties," while still being paid her base salary for the length of the contract after "good-faith" negotiations between Stringer and the AD at that moment.'

Don't see her voluntary walking away from that money but I do see a reassignment as a likely possibility.

Respectfully, I disagree. If she is healthy and wants to return as head coach, I don't think Pat Hobbs would even ask her to do anything else. IMO, she did a very good job this season putting together a team with no superstars and coaching them to 1st place in the B1G for much of the season, ultimately finishing 3rd despite all of the turmoil and dealing with her health (personally I don't think it is just exhaustion) and back to the NCAA tournament. I believe that clause in her contract was put there just in case she was not getting good results. She is also responsible for bringing in Davenport and Maddox for next season, plus Alexis Morris. I would venture to say that CVS is the draw for these players, not Rutgers University, just like I believe Geno is the draw at Uconn, not the University of Connecticut.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
(personally I don't think it is just exhaustion)
What do you think it is? PM me if you don't want to say on the board.
I would venture to say that CVS is the draw for these players, not Rutgers University, just like I believe Geno is the draw at Uconn, not the University of Connecticut.
Mmmmm, true, but much, much more so at Rutgers which has horrible facilities and not a whole lot of cachet. UConn on the other hand, has tremendous name recognition, the best facilities in the country, gets every game broadcast, and plays in front of thousands of die hard fans even on the road. Whoever steps into the head coaching job once Geno retires will still have to prove they can get it done, but UConn will still be a brand after Geno leaves.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Respectfully, I disagree. If she is healthy and wants to return as head coach, I don't think Pat Hobbs would even ask her to do anything else. IMO, she did a very good job this season putting together a team with no superstars and coaching them to 1st place in the B1G for much of the season, ultimately finishing 3rd despite all of the turmoil and dealing with her health (personally I don't think it is just exhaustion) and back to the NCAA tournament. I believe that clause in her contract was put there just in case she was not getting good results. She is also responsible for bringing in Davenport and Maddox for next season, plus Alexis Morris. I would venture to say that CVS is the draw for these players, not Rutgers University, just like I believe Geno is the draw at Uconn, not the University of Connecticut.
Pat Hobbs was in place as the AD when the contract extension and that clause was put in place in October of 2017. One of the two parties wanted the clause (no telling which one) and both parties agreed to the clause. Experience tells me that you don't put something that specific into a contract unless you envision a scenario where it will be used. CVS is a great woman, I wish her good health and a speedy return to coaching.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Mmmmm, true, but much, much more so at Rutgers which has horrible facilities and not a whole lot of cachet. UConn on the other hand, has tremendous name recognition, the best facilities in the country, gets every game broadcast, and plays in front of thousands of die hard fans even on the road. Whoever steps into the head coaching job once Geno retires will still have to prove they can get it done, but UConn will still be a brand after Geno leaves.

Well CL, recent history suggests that may not be true. If the program doesn't keep up with it's previous star coach's success you might find yourself in a bit of an orange mess. Orange just isn't relative anymore.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well CL, recent history suggests that may not be true. If the program doesn't keep up with it's previous star coach's success you might find yourself in a bit of an orange mess. Orange just isn't relative anymore.
Lady Vols kind of make my point. They still are recruiting talent. They just aren't doing anything with it.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Lady Vols kind of make my point. They still are recruiting talent. They just aren't doing anything with it.

Not to beat a dead horse (or Rocky Top). . . I think just the opposite is happening. Their fans are deserting, their games are no longer televised like they were and generally they just aren't in the national conversation any more. How many times have you heard their name being mentioned on "other" broadcasted tournament games? My guess is the recruitment success is going to be short lived based on what they do with it.

Reaction Score
Pat Hobbs was in place as the AD when the contract extension and that clause was put in place in October of 2017. One of the two parties wanted the clause (no telling which one) and both parties agreed to the clause. Experience tells me that you don't put something that specific into a contract unless you envision a scenario where it will be used. CVS is a great woman, I wish her good health and a speedy return to coaching.
I agree with you about that clause being put in for a reason. IMO it was so Hobbs could ask her to step aside if she didn't meet expectations with the least possible amount of unpleasantness. I imagine she felt she could still be successful and that is why she agreed to it. I think she did a good job with the talent we had this year and I think most fans would agree. We really had no idea what to expect without Tyler Scaife.

Reaction Score
Purely speculation on my part, but I know she is a breast cancer survivor and we didn't even know she had cancer the first time until long after the fact (like 20 years after). She is very private about her health, as is her right. My sister thought it might be pneumonia, but I think her absence has been a little too long for that to be it, although it could be if she is also really suffering from exhaustion. I don't think it is just stress, as she has gone through so many tough things in her life that I think she has been able to manage that over the years. I hope I am wrong and that it really is something that just rest can cure, not a cancer reoccurrence or some other serious illness.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse (or Rocky Top). . . I think just the opposite is happening. Their fans are deserting, their games are no longer televised like they were and generally they just aren't in the national conversation any more. How many times have you heard their name being mentioned on "other" broadcasted tournament games? My guess is the recruitment success is going to be short lived based on what they do with it.
6 years later....

CL82

Reaction Score
Purely speculation on my part, but I know she is a breast cancer survivor and we didn't even know she had cancer the first time until long after the fact (like 20 years after). She is very private about her health, as is her right. My sister thought it might be pneumonia, but I think her absence has been a little too long for that to be it, although it could be if she is also really suffering from exhaustion. I don't think it is just stress, as she has gone through so many tough things in her life that I think she has been able to manage that over the years. I hope I am wrong and that it really is something that just rest can cure, not a cancer reoccurrence or some other serious illness.
Doesn't feel like exhaustion to me either. I was wondering if you had heard anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom