Stop the momentum | The Boneyard

Stop the momentum

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It's like a run-a-way train that keeps going, and only we can stop it. You hear it from other Boards, other fans, and of course, the media. UConn is finished, they are going downhill, they will never be the same. I used to love it when we were broadcast on ESPN, but now it has been taken over by the SEC. I won't list the names because we all have seen them and heard them, and it is obvious that we are out of the limelight. I still can't fathom how the network could make that new McDonalds character, the nutty McNutt, the main studio host.

Well anyway, only we can stop this slide, and slight, by winning the NC. Our players have to get better, Fox has to get a backbone and broadcast us nationally, get us back in the limelight, but we have to do our part and start winning. Injuries, transfers, who gives a crap the reason, every team deals with this some time. Once we get to play again, it's our pride as well as anything else that has to bring us back. We are UConn, we are WBB, let's get our mojo back starting now. BTW, I think it would also go a long way if Geno could be a little more positive when he talks about the team in public. We used to be the good guys, but only this team can put us back on the right track. Let's do it. Go Huskies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To once again paraphrase Samuel Clemens, “The news of UConn’s death is greatly exaggerated.” If Paige had not been injured, I have no doubt UConn would be 8-1 right now and ranked in the top 3 in the nation. The enormous challenge for the Huskies now will be to put all the pieces back together in a cohesive unit, in light of an unprecedented Winter pause, during yet another season dominated by the pandemic.

Reaction Score
I wonder if any UConn fans felt that way in 2000 or 2009 when UConn had not won any of the previous 4 national championships. Deja vu all over again?
Difference is the hall of fame coach is 70 and not 50 and there is much more parity in the game. I said it in 2016 that year was the pinnacle of UConn women's basketball and there was only one direction to go from there.

Reaction Score
Nothing lasts forever ( how profound?), but it ain’t over ‘till it’s over (equally).
And it ain’t over yet.
Coach has the talent AND the pipeline of incoming to regain past form.
I am not qualified to criticize his offensive philosophy, his defensive schemes, his practice requirements or his public persona.
However I do hope he has come to realize that when up TWENTY in the waning minutes of a game he should protect his MOST VALUABLE COMMODITIES -his talent.
Sub out the starters when up a ton and expose the bench to real game competition and conditions.
If the lead shrinks to a threatening margin, phase the starters back in until stability returns.
Or, leave the subs in to suffer the consequences and learn what it takes to play in the big time.
Paige was physically beaten up in her last game- all within the rules.
If you ( and Geno) don’t think the competition will come at her again hard physically if they think that is the key, then I have a bridge I want to sell you.
(I’m prepared for the incoming, but dems the facts)

Reaction Score
I hate that all the popular WNBA wannabe influencers on Twitter are so staunchly anti UConn. And when the wbb pages post UConn stuff most of the comments are just crying “media bias boo hoo this is what mm was talking about”. Drives me up the wall

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn fans freak when the team doesn't win the NC, other teams fans freak when the don't make it to the S16 or E8.

Most Uconn fans have forgotten what it feels like not to win the E8 game.

Geno has been lamenting unrealistic expectations since around 2003, but the fan base and really WCBB folks as a whole all went to another level from 2013-2016. That stretch of four was an historic aberration - never been done before and likely never to be done again, and yet ... people keep expecting Uconn to win every year. Lou, Gabby, and Napheesa are such disappointments because the two years after 2016 the team went 72-2.

13 straight final 4s over the last 14 years. Dawn and SC have a streak of 1, Tara and Stanford have a streak of 1, Adia and AZ 1.

Final fours are tough and some day Uconn's streak will end, but the next closest streak of appearances in 5 shared by four teams - Stanford, LSU, and ND and Uconn and of those only Uconn won a NC during their streak and Uconn won 4 of the 5. On the current streak, Uconn won 6.

Stanford has been in 8 FF during that time and won 1, ND 7/1, Baylor 3/2, SC 3/1, TN 1/1, TAM 1/1.

Just a little perspective.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Difference is the hall of fame coach is 70 and not 50 and there is much more parity in the game. I said it in 2016 that year was the pinnacle of UConn women's basketball and there was only one direction to go from there.
Geno is several years short of 70, and I honestly don’t think that matters. Parity does matter, but there’s not another coach in the country who’s gotten their team to more than 2 FF’s in the past 4 championships, let alone all 4. I think Geno’s still got a few years chasing banners before we put him out to pasture.

Reaction Score
LaTech and Old Dominion were once premier womens college basketball programs who were left behind in the conference realignment game. UConn will stick around until Geno retires, but once he’s gone UConn WBB will also see the reality of being on the outside of the power conferences. UConn as an elite program outside the power conferences is just not sustainable.

Reaction Score
LaTech and Old Dominion were once premier womens college basketball programs who were left behind in the conference realignment game. UConn will stick around until Geno retires, but once he’s gone UConn WBB will also see the reality of being on the outside of the power conferences. UConn as an elite program outside the power conferences is just not sustainable.
I would think that would depend on the wins/losses. Now, admittedly, it’s not likely that they will be able to find a coach that can maintain the level that Geno has, but surely it’s not impossible? I agree it’s not likely but let’s not throw in the towel yet.

Reaction Score
It's like a run-a-way train that keeps going, and only we can stop it. You hear it from other Boards, other fans, and of course, the media. UConn is finished, they are going downhill, they will never be the same. I used to love it when we were broadcast on ESPN, but now it has been taken over by the SEC. I won't list the names because we all have seen them and heard them, and it is obvious that we are out of the limelight. I still can't fathom how the network could make that new McDonalds character, the nutty McNutt, the main studio host.

Well anyway, only we can stop this slide, and slight, by winning the NC. Our players have to get better, Fox has to get a backbone and broadcast us nationally, get us back in the limelight, but we have to do our part and start winning. Injuries, transfers, who gives a crap the reason, every team deals with this some time. Once we get to play again, it's our pride as well as anything else that has to bring us back. We are UConn, we are WBB, let's get our mojo back starting now. BTW, I think it would also go a long way if Geno could be a little more positive when he talks about the team in public. We used to be the good guys, but only this team can put us back on the right track. Let's do it. Go Huskies.
Love the Nutty McNutt moniker. I have let ESPN know numerous times that she is an embarrassment to her position. Unfortunately, in today's PC environment, this is what we get for "talent".

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Love the Nutty McNutt moniker. I have let ESPN know numerous times that she is an embarrassment to her position. Unfortunately, in today's PC environment, this is what we get for "talent".
I only watch ESPN when the UConn young ladies are on. I just can't listen to the commentary anymore. It's like they talk everything else and very little on what is going on in the game. I don't mind some non game moments, but make it during the pauses in the action.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Nothing lasts forever ( how profound?), but it ain’t over ‘till it’s over (equally).
And it ain’t over yet.
Coach has the talent AND the pipeline of incoming to regain past form.
I am not qualified to criticize his offensive philosophy, his defensive schemes, his practice requirements or his public persona.
However I do hope he has come to realize that when up TWENTY in the waning minutes of a game he should protect his MOST VALUABLE COMMODITIES -his talent.
Sub out the starters when up a ton and expose the bench to real game competition and conditions.
If the lead shrinks to a threatening margin, phase the starters back in until stability returns.
Or, leave the subs in to suffer the consequences and learn what it takes to play in the big time.
Paige was physically beaten up in her last game- all within the rules.
If you ( and Geno) don’t think the competition will come at her again hard physically if they think that is the key, then I have a bridge I want to sell you.
(I’m prepared for the incoming, but dems the facts)
In the 2016 NC game, UConn was up 33 or 33 points and Geno made substitutions. When the lead got cut in half, he put his starters back in. That is what some posters are asking him to do now. If things are getting out of hand, bring the starters back in.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Nothing lasts forever. The program's best days are behind it. Happens to all of 'em eventually.
UConn will never win 4 NCs in a row again, so, on that sense, you’re right that the program’s best days are behind it.

But, at the same time, I’d bet a lot that no other program will win four in a row, either.

They’re a contender when they’re healthy, and can handily beat any team in the country when they play their best ball for four quarters. That’s all we can ask of them. If that’s not good enough for someone, they should just play 2012-2016 on repeat.

The best days are ahead for women’s basketball and parity is here. And if you’re a fan of the game and not just a fan of UConn, it’s an exciting time.

Reaction Score
My oh my. You must be one of the youngsters.. In our first time around in the Big East Tennessee tried to use the weakness of the rest of the league to recruit against us. What happened [ but didnt in the American] is that type rest of the league improved gradually. Also Genos strong out of conference schedule shut the critics down. Can it happen again? Probably.

Reaction Score
Our players have to get better, Fox has to get a backbone and broadcast us nationally, get us back in the limelight, but we have to do our part and start winning. Injuries, transfers, who gives a crap the reason, every team deals with this some time. Once we get to play again, it's our pride as well as anything else that has to bring us back. We are UConn,
Your knowledge of injuries not impeding a team is very insightful. For years I thought it to be a problem, I the fool to think missing the starting point guard and the back up would be a problem at all. That and the incoming outside shooter needed.
I said it in 2016 that year was the pinnacle of UConn women's basketball and there was only one direction to go from there.
Agree it is shameful that they only made the final four from every year you mention. My lack of knowledge had me seeing many other teams playing at a higher level. That and a more advanced level in the woman's game overall.
Out of curiosity you said this in 2016 where? Your listed on this forum / board here in 2018.

Reaction Score
To once again paraphrase Samuel Clemens, “The news of UConn’s death is greatly exaggerated.” If Paige had not been injured, I have no doubt UConn would be 8-1 right now and ranked in the top 3 in the nation. The enormous challenge for the Huskies now will be to put all the pieces back together in a cohesive unit, in light of an unprecedented Winter pause, during yet another season dominated by the pandemic.
Don't run and hide. I think, (occasionally I have been known to do that) it would be good/great/better for Uconn if the season blows up in smoke, regroup next Fall and begin anew. With everyone rested (that will be true also in late February) next season this team should have NC printed on their . I'm not a favor in rushing Paige, Azzi or any of the injured back on the floor. A slow, medically sound, return next fall may save 8 careers.
I know, it's not a popular thought.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Nothing lasts forever. The program's best days are behind it. Happens to all of 'em eventually.

I wonder if this is wishful thinking from a UConn detractor? Additionally, it is extremely difficult in a time when we are dealing with a pandemic and games are being cancelled to make any conclusions about anything. For all we know we could end up with another cancelled season. Of course, I don't believe that is going to happen nor do I wish for that. But, with all the uncertainty surrounding this season the statement above is premature. I will agree that "nothing lasts forever" however, to coin a well-known phrase "reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." Just substitute the word "UConn's" for the word "my".

This team when healthy is one of UConn's most talented teams ever. Their youth and lack of experience as well as the lack of national championships for this group of Huskies precludes us from comparing them with the great teams of the past based on accomplishments. However, from a pure talent perspective this team if healthy has all the pieces we need to go deep in the NCAAs. We will be losing Ododa, Westbrook and Williams. But we bring in Isuneh Brady and Ayanna Patterson next year and I think Geno and staff will keep an eye on the Transfer portal. And with the number 8 recruit of the class of 2023 5'10" point guard KK Arnold. It would be a mistake to be talking about UConn in the past tense.

2021-2022

1. Aliyah Edwards (So)
2. Paige Bueckers (So)
3. Nika Muhl (So)
4. Christyn Williams (Sr)
5. Dorka Juhasz (Gr)
6. Olivia Nelson-Ododa (Sr)
7. Evina Westbrook (R-Sr)
8. Caroline Ducharme (Fr)
9. Azzi Fudd (Fr)
10. Amari DeBerry (Fr)
11. Aubrey Griffin (Jr)
12. Piath Gabriel (So)

2022-2023

1. Aliyah Edwards (Jr)
2. Paige Bueckers (Jr)
3. Nika Muhl (Jr)
4. Dorka Juhasz (Gr)
5. Caroline Ducharme (So)
6. Azzi Fudd (So)
7. Amari DeBerry (So)
8. Aubrey Griffin (Sr)
9. Piath Gabriel (Jr)
10. Isuneh Brady (Fr)
11. Ayanna Patterson (Fr)

2023-2024

1. Aliyah Edwards (Sr)
2. Paige Bueckers (Sr)
3. Nika Muhl (Sr)
4. Caroline Ducharme (Jr)
5. Azzi Fudd (Jr)
6. Amari DeBerry (Jr)
7. Piath Gabriel (Sr)
8. Isuneh Brady (So)
9. Ayanna Patterson (So)
10. KK Arnold (Fr)

Name me a single coach in Division 1 Women's basketball who wouldn't want to be staring at the next three years roster loaded with all this talent? This is before we recruit any one else for the 2022 - 2023 or the 2023 - 2024 seasons. I think all we have to do is get our players healthy...there is enough talent to keep UConn a perennial threat for at least the next 3-4 years. UConn may be facing a coaching change by then (who knows), at that time we may be able to revisit Hoopfan22's comment and see if it still holds water but for now...I think we are just fine...

Finally, it would be hard to take such a statement seriously if by chance in the next 3-4 years UConn manages to win 1 or 2 championships and I don't think there is a division I women's basketball coach who is willing to count UConn out and I am sure there aren't many of them who want to be in UConn's bracket come March.

Reaction Score
It would seem that we are still the "goto" women's basketball school in the northeast right? No one else even close. It's no surprise that a lot of our talent comes from there. Historically, wouldn't it be logical for the best basketball players to come from the greater NYC market, that whole megalopolis from Philly to Boston? Especially 25 years ago even more than today. When Geno started coaching women's basketball recruiting was largely regional. Could it be that he had a few great players and they won and then WCBB got some exposure and Uconn was the team on TV so it built upon itself. As with many business developments, luck and events played a big role.

For the record, I like and respect Geno. He's clearly been a great coach and I'm not advocating firing him, of course. I'm just saying he's not a god like figure and he has some personal growth opportunities as do all of us. He needs to find ways to make the game fun again for some of these players. He needs to find ways to remove at least some of the pressure. If he doesn't it will hurt the program going forward. Imagine how good recruitment might be if he looked like he was actually fun to play for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom