Stone/Newman Crystal Ball | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Stone/Newman Crystal Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes you're in the minority if you don't want a consensus Top 15 player, especially a center. The single most valuable asset in basketball is a great big man.

Definitely want the big man. That said, college ball is a guards game. I would MUCH rather have the best point guard on the floor.

I'd have taken Shabazz or Kemba over any two big men in the NCAA in their respective years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Definitely want the big man. That said, college ball is a guards game. I would MUCH rather have the best point guard on the floor.

College ball is a guards' game because guys like Stone don't develop in college. Which I guess supports the idea that bringing in top guards is more effective than bringing in top bigs.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Boone was a huge key in 2004. The guy literally kept the team alive in the BET.

And it certainly wasn't Thabeet's fault in 2009,.

By the way, Oriakhi also won a title.
So you believe that centers are more important than guards in college basketball and specifically at UCONN? Ok.

Reaction Score
So you believe that centers are more important than guards in college basketball and specifically at UCONN? Ok.

Good, experienced players and a balanced lineup are what wins. It's just a lot easier to develop guards than bigs because they don't jump as early.

Reaction Score
Obviously you want Stone because he's expected to be a fantastic player, but it's more than that.

If he decided to come to Storrs (and to play in the American, rather than one of the P5 conferences), it just continues to prove that our program isn't going anywhere. What did all the haters say after we won our latest title?

"Oh yeah but they're all Calhoun's guys, let's see if Ollie can recruit his own players now that they're not in the Big East".

Lol, I think he'll recruit just fine.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
College ball is a guards' game because guys like Stone don't develop in college. Which I guess supports the idea that bringing in top guards is more effective than bringing in top bigs.

That's exactly the reason. You want NCAA championships? Collect great guards.

Big men take a lot longer to develop both physically and skill wise.

Reaction Score
Obviously you want Stone because he's expected to be a fantastic player, but it's more than that.

If he decided to come to Storrs (and to play in the American, rather than one of the P5 conferences), it just continues to prove that our program isn't going anywhere. What did all the haters say after we won our latest title?

"Oh yeah but they're all Calhoun's guys, let's see if Ollie can recruit his own players now that they're not in the Big East".

Lol.

This is a big part of why I want the Stone/Newman package. Just because it would be really nice to land the top recruiting class in the country and tell all of the haters to hate on.

Reaction Score
That's exactly the reason. You want NCAA championships? Collect great guards.

Big men take a lot longer to develop both physically and skill wise.

Which IMO is why when you have the opportunity to grab a big man who isn't a project and doesn't necessarily need 2-3 years to develop, you want that guy REAL bad. Even if he only plays 1 or 2 years, you're gonna be better off for it. Size is something you can't teach.. and elite size WITH skill is almost impossible to find at the high school level.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan and Brimah are great and all, but if we just won a national title with those guys as our centers, it ought to end the debate about whether big guys or guards are more important in college.

It's not an either/or situation.. you CAN have both.. it's just that capable guards are easier to find than great bigs. There are more 6'0-6'4 humans than there are 6'10-7'1 humans. And of that small number, even fewer of those 6'10-7'1 guys are actually skilled at basketball, rather than just tall.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan and Brimah are great and all, but if we just won a national title with those guys as our centers, it ought to end the debate about whether big guys or guards are more important in college.

Oh, oh, do I sense a Taliek-hatred redux thread?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yes you're in the minority if you don't want a consensus Top 15 player, especially a center. The single most valuable asset in basketball is a great big man.

Seriously. Kevin Ollie and staff have been practically stalking this kid. If they want him on the team, I want him on the team. You worry about playing time after you stack the roster.

We're talking about a Top-5 center here.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Only Okafor won a title and was the most important player on the team. Clearly guards are more important to uconns current success. . That was the point

No disagreement, but I don't see great guards and great centers being mutually exclusive. Getting Stone is one of KO's top priorities. I think he knows what he's doing!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's not an either/or situation.. you CAN have both.. it's just that capable guards are easier to find than great bigs. There are more 6'0-6'4 humans than there are 6'10-7'1 humans. And of that small number, even fewer of those 6'10-7'1 guys are actually skilled at basketball, rather than just tall.
That makes sense. But if your choice was great guards/adequate center vs. adequate guards/great center, you'd likely take the former. Someone has to get him the ball.

Reaction Score
Also remember that Brimah is coming off an injury and pretty major surgery. We have no idea when he'll be ready and if he'll be at full strength this season. And while we all think he has plenty of potential and could be really good, nobody can say with certainty what he's going to give you this coming season. This isn't a sophomore Emeka Okafor coming back for his junior season.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Which IMO is why when you have the opportunity to grab a big man who isn't a project and doesn't necessarily need 2-3 years to develop, you want that guy REAL bad. Even if he only plays 1 or 2 years, you're gonna be better off for it. Size is something you can't teach.. and elite size WITH skill is almost impossible to find at the high school level.

I totally agree. I don't think it's a mutually exclusive question. Give me a great big man any day, and along with a great point guard, I'll destroy any team.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Seriously. Kevin Ollie and staff have been practically stalking this kid. If they want him on the team, I want him on the team. You worry about playing time after you stack the roster.

We're talking about a Top-5 center here.

He's a top 5 center, I agree. How is he at PF? That's where he's likely going to play.

Reaction Score
He's a top 5 center, I agree. How is he at PF? That's where he's likely going to play.

Way too slow to guard college 4s and he would get ate alive on pick and rolls. I think people(not you) are honestly jumping the gun a bit thinking Stone is going to step in and dominate right away the moment he steps on campus, I don't see it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Way too slow to guard college 4s and he would get ate alive on pick and rolls. I think people(not you) are honestly jumping the gun a bit thinking Stone is going to step in and dominate right away the moment he steps on campus, I don't see it.

Thanks. I probably wasn't clear enough from the start, which is why people thought I didn't want the guy. If he wants to come here and split time with Brimah, great. I just don't want to see another disaster like our frontcourt in 2012, where we tried to fit a square peg into a round hole.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also remember that Brimah is coming off an injury and pretty major surgery. We have no idea when he'll be ready and if he'll be at full strength this season. And while we all think he has plenty of potential and could be really good, nobody can say with certainty what he's going to give you this coming season. This isn't a sophomore Emeka Okafor coming back for his junior season.
Don't underestimate Phil. Look for him to begin to emerge in the Jake Voskuhl - Travis Knight role. Box out, get defensive rebounds, start the break, set screens and score as opportunity permits.

Reaction Score
The lack of production from the center position has been the #1 complaint for 2 straight years. Sure, Brimah is a very pleasant surprise....but are we already at the point where people are suggesting we should pass on the best center in the country?

person not people. I think there will be an overwhelming majority of disappointed BYers if we don't land Stone

intlzncster

Reaction Score
person not people. I think there will be an overwhelming majority of disappointed BYers if we don't land Stone

If we get Enoch/(Jones or Briscoe or somebody else) people will be alright.

Reaction Score
Where have you seen he is too slow? On his highlights he looks quite quick for a big man. Also, this article refers to Stone as 4, for those assuming him and Brimah couldn't play together http://ontheradarhoops.com/elite-32-recap-i-july-14-2014/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom