Stokes | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doesn't that fall back on Geno? Isn't it his job to find out what makes her tick and push the right buttons like he did with Charles? Didn't he have the same issue with her for a couple of years? And wasn't it the same with the post player Liz something-or-other that ended up transferring to Vandy.

Was Stokes incorrectly identified as fitting the UCONN mold?

Doesn't that fall back on Geno? What falls back on Geno? Getting her to play to her potential? He can only do what he can do. Then it's up to the player.

Isn't it his job to find out what makes her tick and push the right buttons like he did with Charles? He's working on it. But every player is different.

Didn't he have the same issue with her for a couple of years? It's never the same issue. It's much more complicated than that.

And wasn't it the same with the post player Liz something-or-other that ended up transferring to Vandy. Liz Sherwood. No, it wasn't the same. From reports, she didn't work hard on her conditioning and her defense was something Geno didn't trust, so her playing time was reduced.

Was Stokes incorrectly identified as fitting the UCONN mold? No. No. No.

Done stirring the pot?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Doesn't that fall back on Geno? Isn't it his job to find out what makes her tick and push the right buttons like he did with Charles? Didn't he have the same issue with her for a couple of years? And wasn't it the same with the post player Liz something-or-other that ended up transferring to Vandy.

Was Stokes incorrectly identified as fitting the UCONN mold?

YOu know, for someone who spends a lot of time on this board, you appear to comprehend very little about UConn basketball. Funny, you once told me that I didn't know anything about basketball. Not important. Let me reiterate my earlier post for you - perhaps you missed it:

For Pete's sake! What is the matter with you people? Do you not listen when people speak? Do you not know how things work at UConn?

• [ ]Playing time is earned at UConn.
    [ ]Geno does not let anyone cheat their talent.

Did you not watch the latest Geno show when something of this nature was discussed? Geno said that he may have upwards of 7 personalities on a team - and he cannot spend practices trying to deal with those personalities because if he does, nothing will get done. What he does is tell the players what his expectations are, and then proceeds to coach the players to meet those expectations.

And between Geno and Chris, practices are managed such that if one of them is after a player to get things done right, the other will back off so that the player does not feel that they are (forgot the exact language, so forgive me) being picked upon.

And, if a player needs some one on one, his door is always open - they can come in, ask for help, for advice on their careers, or to just shoot the breeze.

The focus is for the players to be prepared for life outside of UConn once they graduate, for the student to realize and be the best they can be.

Now - Kiah doesn't like Geno? Geno doesn't like Kiah? What a load of crap! You have no proof whatsoever to substantiate these statements. What you do know, as I said before, is that playing time is earned in practice, and that Geno will not let a player cheat her talent. Kiah is very talented, and Geno certainly will work to get her to realize this on a consistent basis which in turn will boost her confidence and performances in games. Some of this is on Kiah's shoulders, too. She has to take ownership of her game, her playing, and her commitment. The coaches cannot do it all. Some of this comes with maturity as well, and some players mature later than others.

I love Kiah, I love her game. I look forward to each time she gets on the floor, I have faith that she will be the great player we know, and Geno knows, that she can be. She will realize this and then world, look out!

But this speculation about this player and Geno, and about any player and Geno, is just inappropriate in my opinion. Seriously

Now, take what you will from my post that is applicable to your thought. To make it easier for you, I highlighted the paragraphs. Happy New Year.

Reaction Score
When you find a post that said she will average 10 points per game this season, let me know.

You picked her last few games. So if she happens to have 3 great games, 8-10 points, over the next few games, can I use those to predict her future output?

How about we see how she plays the rest of the year.

Just found a post where you said she would average 10 pts in a 3 game stretch.
The UCF game will make it harder for her to get a 10 pt avg for this 3 game stretch.
I think I said exactly that, let her make it happen before people predict her scoring average of 8-10 pts.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just found a post where you said she would average 10 pts in a 3 game stretch.
The UCF game will make it harder for her to get a 10 pt avg for this 3 game stretch.
I think I said exactly that, let her make it happen before people predict her scoring average of 8-10 pts.

Ok, so now you are just making stuff up. I never said she would average 10 points a game over a three game stretch. She doesn't shoot enough to do that.

But what YOU said was that she won't average 10 points a game for the SEASON as if someone had said she would. No one did.

I said let's wait until the end of the year to see if she will have certain stats.
You said let's wait to make a prediction on how she will do because we will put undo pressure on her.

Not even close to the same.

Reaction Score
Even if we get Wilson, Kiah will be our only true center next year. The others who
might play that position would be better described as power forwards.

Kiah got 4 boards and 3 blocks in 9 minutes yesterday. If she can add 8 - 10 points
per game
to that kind of defensive production, she'll be fine.

This poster said it, I disagreed and you defended his post.

Reaction Score
Goodnight Gracey.

your viewpoint is so stubborn that you cant admit when you agree with the basic premise of the argument.
Don't show your age with the sarcastic Gracey comment. Or show your age! Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If our men's BB program recruited a 7' post player from the Bronx who, as a Freshman, put up 27ppg. and grabbed a dozen rebounds and blocked a few shots, is there anyone who would utter a peep . (? sic)

Not to let any loose ends in this ridiculous thread go unanswered…

Precisely one of the significant reasons I follow UConn Woman's Basketball.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
your viewpoint is so stubborn that you cant admit when you agree with the basic premise of the argument.
Don't show your age with the sarcastic Gracey comment. Or show your age! Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.

JS

Reaction Score
Was gonna ask if anybody can find anything good in this thread.

Then realized I posted in it, probably without changing the answer.

Let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc