Still lovin' Taliek Brown | The Boneyard

Still lovin' Taliek Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A couple of nights ago Kevin Nathan chatted with taliek Brown who was on campus. It was great to see Taliek and the interview was cool. I haven't seen a mention of it and am looking to see if it's online. I found this nugget...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I can't find the Nathan interview

Reaction Score
One of my all time favorite Huskies.

First he has a ring. A PG with a ring is special.

I feel Taliek was totally under appreciated. On a team with quite a few future NBA players he was the engine that kept them in sync.

The way some would criticize him you'd think he was Cup Cormier.

Up until TB every PG before him had an older PG to learn from (and play behind). I'm pretty sure TB was thrown right into the action-learning on the job.

One tough Husky just like his Coach.

Reaction Score
Our Champion PG! Outlasted and out-bested the other 2 NYC guards (SH and SJU's pgs)!

It would be nice to have a thread "I was wrong" so people can apologize or make Taliek Peace.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Completely underrated. Watching Boat play PG I keep wanting him to watch old tapes of Taliek. Always steady, getting the ball to the right guy in the right place, rarely forcing anything. You could count on him to do the right thing with the ball.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score
Taliek was the perfect piece to a great team. Under appreciated by me maybe, actually yes! As you think of others who would've played the point and think, "could they have won with them?" - who knows? Marcus, Bazz, Boat.........all better offensively and easily, none better or as tough defensively and that's easy too..........run the team? Maybe not sure, less TO's yeah probably........but how about chemistry? No measuring what he did for that team in mental makeup etc etc and they trusted him to be their guy, no replacing that.

For Kita...."IWAS WRONG!"............;)

Reaction Score
To me Talieks TO's were more from style of play from thet teams he was on more than decision making.. A fastbreaking push the ball down your throat after a make (or a miss) team will obviously have a lot more TO than a halfcourt set up team.

Reaction Score
To me Talieks TO's were more from style of play from thet teams he was on more than decision making.. A fastbreaking push the ball down your throat after a make (or a miss) team will obviously have a lot more TO than a halfcourt set up team.

Maybe but there were times his decisions were nightmares as well as his offense but what I didn't always see is what he meant on the other end. You see our guys now going around picks and getting hit hard on defense and never catching their guy again......TB was rock, fought through picks, squeezed between often because of this strength. That goes a long way........and he was good for that team as you say with his aggressive style on the fast break.

Reaction Score
Watching him was like watching the roadrunner / coyote cartoons. He'd drive to the hoop and the D would converg on him like the swirling cloud in the cartoon. Somehow the ball came out of the other end, often w/o TB.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Taliek was the perfect piece to a great team. Under appreciated by me maybe, actually yes! ;)

Under appreciated?

You got us into Sports Illustrated!

Remember that?

First paragraph of the first story of the Commemorative Issue, the anti-Taliek'ers got the Boneyard mentioned by name as a group that didn't like him....I got 18,000 phone calls about it that week.

I will never forgive you people. Fortunately, I'm pretty forgetful.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Under appreciated?

Remember that?

First paragraph of the first story of the Commemorative Issue, the anti-Taliek'ers got the Boneyard mentioned by name as a group that didn't like him....I got 18,000 phone calls about it that week.

I don't think a Yarder could have been more brutal to a Husky than mau was to Taliek. It was like mau was a blue-haired pitpull and Taliek was a big-assed bison bone.

Reaction Score
Wow it wasn't like I was the sole reason for the "Boneyard Hype".......but if everyone was happy we got ink then I'll take the credit.......

Oh yeah Fishy did I ever tell you I was sorry?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wow it wasn't like I was the sole reason for the "Boneyard Hype".......but if everyone was happy we got ink then I'll take the credit.......

Oh yeah Fishy did I ever tell you I was sorry?

I always blamed you completely.

I went upstairs to find the issue just to see it again.

I actually found something I forgot I had - I'm not sure why, but I have a commemorative issue from 1999 with a lot of Boneyard signatures on it.

I should see who was here then and who is still here.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Under appreciated?

Remember that?

You get the ball...AND the hat?!?!?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Halifax, Nova Scotia is a cool city, although pretty cold in the winter!
I had no idea that they had a professional bball team.

Taliek was a great leader, very good ball-handler, passer, defender and 35-foot end-of-game straight-on three-point shooter!

Reaction Score
Taliek was the perfect piece to a great team. Under appreciated by me maybe, actually yes! As you think of others who would've played the point and think, "could they have won with them?" - who knows? Marcus, Bazz, Boat.........all better offensively and easily, none better or as tough defensively and that's easy too..........run the team? Maybe not sure, less TO's yeah probably........but how about chemistry? No measuring what he did for that team in mental makeup etc etc and they trusted him to be their guy, no replacing that.

For Kita...."IWAS WRONG!"............;)

I remember those days and the theme of your posts. You were wrong for Taliek not me. Feel better? If you go a step further and look for his Facebook page you can really make amends, that's if he befriends you. :cool:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
All love of TB now, but there was an awful lot of bile spewing in the 'yard back in '98. Taliek was a Husky to the bone, and that's one of the most important traits I like to see in our guys. That and effort. Taliek had no shortage of either.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
He played pg like a half - back and had limitations but still got it done. Husky/ NYC royalty.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Now I know why Fishy is touchy about JD and AO rants!:)

Loved Taliek! Kid played through turf toe. I can hardly walk when I get turf toe! Same season he lost his best friend to a shooting. He came back from the funeral and still gave it his all. AO can show tapes of body sculpting at Mizzpu, but when it comes to mental toughness he ought to just watch tapes of TB.

Reaction Score
he was a tank, tough to guard when he was moving full speed, and always full of enthusiasm, great husky.

My lasting image of Taliek, was immediately after the final buzzer in the 2004 NCAA Final, he leaps into the arms of, I believe his uncle(?), with the biggest grin in college hoops history!:D

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
Really?
He could not shoot outside of one inch.
Defenders sluffed off him and helped out on other Huskies.
If we had a guy who could generate offense, we would have been even more dominant.
Defensively he was no ricky Moore please!
I guess if Bill Clinton is looked upon fondly now so could Taliek

Reaction Score
Really?
He could not shoot outside of one inch.
Defenders sluffed off him and helped out on other Huskies.
If we had a guy who could generate offense, we would have been even more dominant.
Defensively he was no ricky Moore please!
I guess if Bill Clinton is looked upon fondly now so could Taliek

His teams won. Over his last three years, his teams were 19-3 in the postseason, and two of the losses were good losses. The only bad loss was Pitt in '03, and he carried us for a while in that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom