Stewie Will She Be the Best Ever? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stewie Will She Be the Best Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For me, I think Diana's last national championship was an amazing feat. She really took that team to the title almost single-handedly. And the fact that the very next year the team lost 8 games without her shows how weak a supporting cast she had. Breanna has had a great team around her all four years. Maya had Tina for three years, and that was a major boost. But can anyone really pick D or Maya?
I can. D all the way.

Reaction Score
I thought Stewie put the team on her back during NCAA's her frosh year. ND during crunch time was always able to prevent KML from getting off a significant number of good shots and Dolson was not much of a scorer and Hartley was hurt/struggled during her jr year. And it's tough to knock Stewie about putting team on her back. She did average 19.5 points and 8 rebounds in her soph year final four with no one coming close to beating them in FF.

I do think that was her greatest game ever.

Reaction Score
You say DT was the only AA on her team. Maya, had AA's on her team, right? She became the all time leading scorer on a team that had other great players. Imagine the numbers, if she had none. Also, if Stewie had less help, she would put up astronomical numbers. Can't control who's on your team. Can't control the level of competition. DT never had to go against Griner, Diggins or Parker. The only real rival back then was Tennessee, I think.

The only knock on Maya was that she could not carry her team to the NC in her senior year. Her team let her down. I think you have to go out a winner to be thought of as the best; that last memory hangs around. I also think that if Breanna had the minutes that that Maya and Diana had her numbers alone would make this whole thread look foolish.

Reaction Score
The only knock on Maya was that she could not carry her team to the NC in her senior year. Her team let her down. I think you have to go out a winner to be thought of as the best; that last memory hangs around. I also think that if Breanna had the minutes that that Maya and Diana had her numbers alone would make this whole thread look foolish.

What if Stewie doesn't win the title this year?

Reaction Score
Much stiffer competition for Maya, in her senior year. Geno had Pats number, for DT's final year. ND, Stanford have better coached teams. DT, is my favorite of all time because, not only was she a great player, she was the consummate teammate, but most of all, she was tough. Didn't mind throwing a elbow or letting opposing players know what was on her mind. I love her cockiness, or what the kids today call swag. I wish Maya and Stewie had a bit more of what DT had. It most certainly would stop all of the cheapshots.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Where are you getting the stats from? Do you have a link? I'd like to look at all the stats. Maybe get DT's full seaosns too? For example the game in Htfd Tenn vs UCON was clutch as was Maya's steal vs DePaul but doesn't show in the offense numbers. Secondly. who said Maya wasn't clutch? So I don't buy your stigma pov. You are replying to me though, so I hope you aren't implying I said Amazing Maya wasn't clutch? I don't think you are but want to make that point clear. Third, I don't agree with the stats you are choosing as if to imply Maya was more clutch / or greater in some manner than DT in the clutch. Maya was a scorer. Of course the stats you choose to show- scoring - are going to show her to be superior. You chose the scoring stats which was Maya's best offensive strength . What I'd like to see is also assists vs turnovers too.
And again I'll ask--
What did you think of Maria Conlon as a pg? She was playing near the whole game too during the later stages of the tourney, wasn't she? Wasn't there one game in 02-03 tourney, later rounds in which I think where both Maria and Ann scored a combined 4 points?

For your "where are the stats" question, your answer is here. Any NCAA sport, any division, long list of years (varies by sport/division, click the link in the middle top of the page to see the available years). You can also search by player or coach, though the team cumulative stats pages for each year (going back to at least 2000 for UConn WBB) have a link to each player's stats for that year.

The search page is linked at the bottom of my "Interesting NCAA Site Pages" page.

Your Conlon question comes at an interesting time for me. Colleen & I just watched the 2002 NCAA semi-final vs Tennessee a couple days ago. Maria played significant minutes in the game and made me cringe because I'd used Geno's "short, but slow" (humerous) description of her when bringing Colleen up to speed on the context of the year. She played quite well -- defense and offense -- vs whatever players Pat had on the floor at the time.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oh my. Lots of stuff here and the bottom line is we have three of the GOATs playing in three different sets of 4 years with no overlap of competition. They all three have had stretches of sheer brilliance and others when they were less than stellar. They all played with great teammates and for the same great coaching staff.
I will say that of the three, Stewart's performance in her freshman year NCAA tournament was greater than the other two - perhaps Maya's freshman year team was not as good as DT's or Stewarts, but if so, it is a distinction without a difference - all three teams were great.
Perhaps DT had to do more for her team her last two years than Maya did or Stewart will, but does that detract from either of them? Hard to really argue that. And DT's had more upperclass support than Moore had as a senior - that experience really helps in the NCAAs.
Moore was probably the most college ready of the three, but what does that buy you at the end of your freshman year - or when you graduate? The points leadership I guess.

They all three have/will graduated with great individual stats and great team records and multiple NCs - DT left as the leader in assists (perhaps to be broken eleven years later), Moore with the points record, and Stewart likely with the Blocks leadership, but those records only tell a fraction of their story as they filled up stats across the board. And their most important aspects were what they gave to their teammates and team, and their will to win.

Love all three and a bunch of other uconn players as well. And i will not denigrate one's accomplishments to build up another's.

Reaction Score
For your "where are the stats" question, your answer is here. Any NCAA sport, any division, long list of years (varies by sport/division, click the link in the middle top of the page to see the available years). You can also search by player or coach, though the team cumulative stats pages for each year (going back to at least 2000 for UConn WBB) have a link to each player's stats for that year.

The search page is linked at the bottom of my "Interesting NCAA Site Pages" page.

Your Conlon question comes at an interesting time for me. Colleen & I just watched the 2002 NCAA semi-final vs Tennessee a couple days ago. Maria played significant minutes in the game and made me cringe because I'd used Geno's "short, but slow" (humerous) description of her when bringing Colleen up to speed on the context of the year. She played quite well -- defense and offense -- vs whatever players Pat had on the floor at the time.

Thank you!!! I love looking up this stuff sometimes. Appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Oh my. Lots of stuff here and the bottom line is we have three of the GOATs playing in three different sets of 4 years with no overlap of competition. They all three have had stretches of sheer brilliance and others when they were less than stellar. They all played with great teammates and for the same great coaching staff.
I will say that of the three, Stewart's performance in her freshman year NCAA tournament was greater than the other two - perhaps Maya's freshman year team was not as good as DT's or Stewarts, but if so, it is a distinction without a difference - all three teams were great.
Perhaps DT had to do more for her team her last two years than Maya did or Stewart will, but does that detract from either of them? Hard to really argue that. And DT's had more upperclass support than Moore had as a senior - that experience really helps in the NCAAs.
Moore was probably the most college ready of the three, but what does that buy you at the end of your freshman year - or when you graduate? The points leadership I guess.

They all three have/will graduated with great individual stats and great team records and multiple NCs - DT left as the leader in assists (perhaps to be broken eleven years later), Moore with the points record, and Stewart likely with the Blocks leadership, but those records only tell a fraction of their story as they filled up stats across the board. And their most important aspects were what they gave to their teammates and team, and their will to win.

Love all three and a bunch of other uconn players as well. And i will not denigrate one's accomplishments to build up another's.

Loved your post. When you get into these things -- even who is best pg ever. Who is best center ever-- so darn hard to choose!! Dt vs Maya Vs BS.

Then Bird vs MoJeff. Then Lobo vs Tina. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt like I was bashing Maya but no way meant to. Amazing Maya in her sr year had to play center. Anywhere on the court Amazing Maya can get off a jumper and the ball has a high chance of going in. Amazing Maya had a motor offense and defense which was brought up by bballnut that was evident since day one to her last day. Amazing Maya could guard 5 positions on the floor. That steal vs DePaul was all about what Amazing Maya was. Relentless. Never give up. Even in ND game her last - when it looked as though from what I recall 2/3 people at her - yet she just elevated over them and gave Huskies a chance- just didn''t give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom