Stewie Will She Be the Best Ever? | The Boneyard

Stewie Will She Be the Best Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There was a Geno Auriema show during Stewie's Freshmen year where Geno speaking of Stewie said "She just doesn't miss open shots". Well now she is not missing contested shots either. She must be shooting 70% on midrange. #UNGUARDABLE#.

Reaction Score
From the new guy... I got to see Stewie play at DePaul (only the second time I've seen UConn live - first one was at Gampel in 1995). The amazing thing is that both my wife and I came away from the game saying that she was even better in person than on the TV. You can't say that about everybody. To be able to watch her play is a real treat.

Reaction Score
Stewie is undoubtedly THE undisputed GOAT ever played at the UCWBB.

Reaction Score
From the new guy... I got to see Stewie play at DePaul (only the second time I've seen UConn live - first one was at Gampel in 1995). The amazing thing is that both my wife and I came away from the game saying that she was even better in person than on the TV. You can't say that about everybody. To be able to watch her play is a real treat.

Hello New guy.

Too bad you missed the 2008 Saturday March 1st game. UCONN also had a pretty good player there on that day that you missed.-- But I'm sure you heard about afterwards!! :):):)

Reaction Score
Hello New guy.

Too bad you missed the 2008 Saturday March 1st game. UCONN also had a pretty good player there on that day that you missed.-- But I'm sure you heard about afterwards!! :):):)

Yeah, they had a couple if I remember right. We did travel up to Minnesota a couple of years ago and take in a Lynx game and get to see Maya. Wasn't Tina Charles on that team also? Anyway we have to travel 3+ hours to see DePaul & that's the closest UConn get to us. It was fun though, getting to sit close to the floor right in front of high school friends of Morgan Tuck.

UConn in the Big 10. That would be so sweet for us!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What's different about her, as I watch her, compared to maybe every player I can think of including the other greats we've had, is that she seems relaxed all the time. That shouldn't be confused with lack of intensity, which she obviously has. She doesn't take plays off. But she seems so comfortable and decisive.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I do not like the term,"the best ever"pinned on anyone.Greatness can be shared as the parts of a body.You need all the parts of a body to make the greatness of life,and though some parts may seem more important or outstanding,none of the major parts mean much without the others performing at your best.
Stewart,Diana,and all the other greats that have wore the Connecticut jersey,have been special in their own way,in their own time,and comparing them to each other really cannot be measured,unless you give them the same circumstances that each has played in and through.
Without those that came before them,the expectations would be different for each,and their greatness would be at a different level.
If there must be a greatest associated with Connecticut,then I propose,that it be that many of us have had the privilege and pleasure of seeing many of the best players to ever play women's basketball wearing the Connecticut uniform,and that the greatest ones at the game have blessed us with their skills,talent, and personality over the years.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Stewie is undoubtedly THE undisputed GOAT ever played at the UCWBB.
Did you forget Diana?? She carried the team her final year to a NC. I don't think Stewie could if she didn't have the cast has /had around her

Reaction Score
Did you forget Diana?? She carried the team her final year to a NC. I don't think Stewie could if she didn't have the cast has /had around her
I never forgot D that is why I picked her second before Maya. Oh! and I never forgot she shot 0 for 11 in the national semi in her freshman year. :)

Reaction Score
Let's keep in mind that Diana Taurasi is the only UConn legends to win a championship ( two actually) when she was the only All-American on the team. Granted, Stewie had no control over who her teammates were, but would she have won last year without Mo? I think not. Taurasi's achievements from 2002-04 may never be repeated. I guess we could find out next year how hard that is.

Reaction Score
Stevie plays defense.

DT played defense. Not saying who is best ever yet but DT's "knock" of not playing defense is way over-exaggerated.

I think one important thing is Stewie has to win this year. This team is superior to everyone in terms talent. This is Stewie's sr year. She should be in control of things - which she certainly has been- they must win it all. No excuses unless injury.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd take Stewart as a senior over anyone else in UConn history for an individual season. For a career, I think Maya Moore's body of work and consistently high play is unmatched by anyone at UCONN. Maya was THE stud on her team and was the go to player all 4 years. UCONN hadn't been to the final four in 3 years prior to her arrival. She led UCONN to an insane 150-4 record over her 4 years and she was the standout player all 4 years on some very talented teams. She filled the box score better than anyone and was remarkably efficient all 4 years. She played outstanding defense and has continued her success, winning 3 titles in her first 5 years at UCONN.

Stewart has made a strong case for herself, interestingly what hurts her is that she has played with so many other talented players that we've only really seen her in 2 different states--up and down as a freshman and the dominant go to player the last 3 years. All 4 years she's had one of the best PGs ever in Jefferson playing alongside her, the leading 3pt shooter in NCAA history for 3 years, and several other All Americans/1st round draft picks. Much of her individual success stems from having great teammates and utter team domination so she's never really had to burden the load and put her team on her back or face tense late game situations.

I'd take Moore because I think she's proven dominance, offensive/defense prowess, and she can step up her game in tight moments and take over. She also was an Olympic caliber player coming out of high school, where I don't think Stewart evolved into that caliber of a player until this season.

Reaction Score
Let's keep in mind that Diana Taurasi is the only UConn legends to win a championship ( two actually) when she was the only All-American on the team. Granted, Stewie had no control over who her teammates were, but would she have won last year without Mo? I think not. Taurasi's achievements from 2002-04 may never be repeated. I guess we could find out next year how hard that is.
Stewie could put up even higher numbers.

Reaction Score
DT played defense. Not saying who is best ever yet but DT's "knock" of not playing defense is way over-exaggerated.

I think one important thing is Stewie has to win this year. This team is superior to everyone in terms talent. This is Stewie's sr year. She should be in control of things - which she certainly has been- they must win it all. No excuses unless injury.
She makes them superior. Not saying DT doesn't play D, it's just that she can't impact a game on the D side like Stewie can. Stewie was the FF MVP, as a freshman. On a team with AA's, much like DT as a freshman. Stewie won, DT lost.

Reaction Score
She makes them superior. Not saying DT doesn't play D, it's just that she can't impact a game on the D side like Stewie can. Stewie was the FF MVP, as a freshman. On a team with AA's, much like DT as a freshman. Stewie won, DT lost.

Yes -- but Stewie her jr year won MVP by just because of her "name" only. MoJeff should have been ff MVP. With DT she deserved to be FF MVP her jr and sr years. BS her frosh and soph years and should not have won last year. If Stewie doesn't win title this year, she won't be MVP then her titles vs DT are 3 vs 3.

There is no excuse for this team not to win this year unless injuries. If they don't win, someone has underperformed. It is possible Stewie and MoJeff could be sensational and they lose -- but doubtful if they are and UCONN loses. If Stewie loses this year what real difference is there between DT vs BS? It still might be BS but still they're right there with each other.

Reaction Score
I'd take Stewart as a senior over anyone else in UConn history for an individual season. For a career, I think Maya Moore's body of work and consistently high play is unmatched by anyone at UCONN. Maya was THE stud on her team and was the go to player all 4 years. UCONN hadn't been to the final four in 3 years prior to her arrival. She led UCONN to an insane 150-4 record over her 4 years and she was the standout player all 4 years on some very talented teams. She filled the box score better than anyone and was remarkably efficient all 4 years. She played outstanding defense and has continued her success, winning 3 titles in her first 5 years at UCONN.

Stewart has made a strong case for herself, interestingly what hurts her is that she has played with so many other talented players that we've only really seen her in 2 different states--up and down as a freshman and the dominant go to player the last 3 years. All 4 years she's had one of the best PGs ever in Jefferson playing alongside her, the leading 3pt shooter in NCAA history for 3 years, and several other All Americans/1st round draft picks. Much of her individual success stems from having great teammates and utter team domination so she's never really had to burden the load and put her team on her back or face tense late game situations.

I'd take Moore because I think she's proven dominance, offensive/defense prowess, and she can step up her game in tight moments and take over. She also was an Olympic caliber player coming out of high school, where I don't think Stewart evolved into that caliber of a player until this season.

I thought Stewie put the team on her back during NCAA's her frosh year. ND during crunch time was always able to prevent KML from getting off a significant number of good shots and Dolson was not much of a scorer and Hartley was hurt/struggled during her jr year. And it's tough to knock Stewie about putting team on her back. She did average 19.5 points and 8 rebounds in her soph year final four with no one coming close to beating them in FF.

Just a comparison of Maya's frosh year her efg% in ff was 50%. Stewie's EFG% was 72.58%. For True Field Goal %, BS was 73.4% vs Maya at 51.4%.

And as for DT vs Maya - they are sort of opposite. DT came to a powerhouse. Maya was rebuilding toward a powerhouse. While UCONN hadn't been in FF in 3 years before Maya - after DT left - they had arguably their worst year they have had in their past 20 years or maybe 25 or maybe even longer. The next year they didn't make ff either and had to hit a last second shot to get to E8. When Maya came she had an upperclass pg who ended up being one of the great pg's in UCONN history and did have a 3rd team a/a in Tina Charles. So before Maya came her team was already E8 without her, while DT's team "crumbled" to S16 and among the worst UOONN had in 20+ years looking back from now once she left. So it's all how you look at it.

Right now I give very very very slight edge to DT over Maya. I'd rather not mention full reason - but minor reason is that I thought DT had less to work with in her final 2 years. And I thought in her soph year she was arguably the best player on the team and was only limited by minutes her frosh year. For Stewie and Maya as frosh the respective teams needed them to be big scorers. With DT they didn't need her as much until both a/a's went down. Maya as a frosh would have been coming off the bench on that 2001 team just like DT was. I won't argue though with anyone that says Maya. IMO they are so close. You say Maya over DT- I'm okay with it. They were both sensational.

As for BS- imo the grade is "incomplete" with her vs Maya and DT and until after the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak