Stewie had a great weekend..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie had a great weekend.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She does not shoot with her elbow directly under the ball. Where the shot is executedon a pivot over the elbow joint and shooting wrist. Instead she has the ball suspended between both hands elbows out. It means there can be competition for the two hands for control of the ball leading to inconsistency.
What I found hard to believe was that when they were comparing the form of great shooters, why wasn't the most pure three point shooter probably in the history of women's college basketball mentioned. KML?????

Reaction Score
Ok David , maybe she didn't take a few games off. She was just not her usual dominating presence we have become so use to.

I think that's the essence.

Whether she was good compared to other players is not relevant. If she's the NPOY, then we want/need her to play like that. As Geno said, if this team plays its A game, it's not gonna lose. This weekend was nowhere close to Stewie's A game.

This is not to say UConn can't win if it doesn't play its A game -- we saw that this weekend -- but who wants to test that theory again next weekend?

Reaction Score
Oz, that is not classic form the shooting elbow is splayed outward and is not directly under the ball (note the line of the forearm extended up through the palm and the ball and you will note the tilt resulting from the splayed elbow). The off hand should be along the side of the ball without the hand extending over the top of the ball. Watch Stewie shoot ten shots and then watch KML the difference is distinct and clear. Generally, classic form requires a slightly open stance to promote ease of bringing the elbow under the ball and so the head can be turned sighting long the line of the arm.

One more picture showing the elbow position:

bzzpsouceaa8ohy.jpg

Also look at the change in her FT shooting form from H.S.:

breanna-stewart-ftr.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What those two pictures show is improvement in her shoulder tilt caused by the way she brings the off hand up across and over top the ball. What is lost is her sight line in the high school picture was more down the shooting arm line.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry, but it doesn't. Look at Maya's chin turned towards her shoulder. Her sight line is a good 10 degrees towards her shooting arm and her elbow is under the ball. See how her hand is on the side of the ball not reaching up on top. Maya's body is open to the line. The differences I am speaking of are all there.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is a link with a picture of Dirk. Note the similarity to Maya's form chin toward shoulder elbow under. Ray Allen's chin is like Maya' and Dirk's with body open chin towards shoulder. So are KML's and Maggie Lucas's. All are mechanical simplicity. Simplicity promotes repeatability.

http://www.coachlikeapro.com/jump-shot-form.html

Great pic of head shoulder alignment from behind.

http://culabaman.wordpress.com/2012...all-shooting-technique-fundamentals-and-form/

Hope those help.

Wow, so what you are suggesting is that Stewie change her shot technique, the one that got her the best palyer in America from high school, player of the NCAA tourney so she can look in (p[perfect form) all this after 2 so-so games. Do you know how many golfers with not so (perfect swings) have been very successful but when they tried to change their swing they disappeared from sight ?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So first a player that jumps and shoots doesn't shoot a jump shot and now an excellent three point shoot has her elbows wrong? And when a picture of another great shooter is shown to have the same elbow position, the chin is in a different position?

I learn so much on this board.

Reaction Score
So first a player that jumps and shoots doesn't shoot a jump shot and now an excellent three point shoot has her elbows wrong? And when a picture of another great shooter is shown to have the same elbow position, the chin is in a different position?

And that player tied the right shoelace first not the left one.Now we know why !!!!!!!!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

LOL. Blowhardiness at its best. This board never disappoints.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stewie had a pretty decent regional
That's what I said, it was decent. Wasn't great. Some of us are looking for "great" from Stewart. (not like she can't deliver it)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

No you don't. You refuse to. ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wow, so what you are suggesting is that Stewie change her shot technique, the one that got her the best palyer in America from high school, player of the NCAA tourney so she can look in (p[perfect form) all this after 2 so-so games. Do you know how many golfers with not so (perfect swings) have been very successful but when they tried to change their swing they disappeared from sight ?
Where did I suggest she change or correct it? I am simply identifying her irregularities which are visible in comparison to classic form. Sometimes there are reasons players cannot use classic form, such as, cross eye dominance. I played with a kid in high school who shot his jumper from the opposite side of his head because of this problem. I do think classic form promotes the best odds of consistency.

The only way to approach changing her form is if she decides it is important.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stewart and Hartley are very similar to each other in their shooting problems. Both of them tend to struggle when the trajectory of their jump shots lose arc and flatten out. Last couple games especially I noticed Stewarts shot to be really flat and thus leading to her subpar performances.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And that player tied the right shoelace first not the left one.Now we know why !!!!!!!!!!
What I am talking about, Phil, is bio-mechanics. These are physical optimizations for shot efficiency and accuracy. That is why there are numerous coaches hired just to work with players on these things and numerous sites teaching local coaches how to teach proper form. I am very used to looking at these same things from coaching archery. Small things add up to maximum performance. My best friend, Larry Wise, with whom I work on archery and who coaches on the national team level has just published his newest book on Coaching Archery. Larry, a former World Champion, has trusted me as one of his checks on his form. His last book was on archery form, Core Archery. When have spent a lot of time talking along with OC about foul shooting form and bio-mechanics. This stuff makes a difference.

shooting-form.jpg

shooting-fund-balance-hand2.jpg

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What I am talking about, Phil, is bio-mechanics. These are physical optimizations for shot efficiency and accuracy. That is why there are numerous coaches hired just to work with players on these things and numerous sites teaching local coaches how to teach proper form. I am very used to looking at these same things from coaching archery. Small things add up to maximum performance. My best friend, Larry Wise, with whom I work on archery and who coaches on the national team level has just published his newest book on Coaching Archery. Larry, a former World Champion, has trusted me as one of his checks on his form. His last book was on archery form, Core Archery. When have spent a lot of time talking along with OC about foul shooting form and bio-mechanics. This stuff makes a difference.
When Stewart shoot with a bow and arrow we'll call you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When Stewart shoot with a bow and arrow we'll call you.
Understanding bio-mechanics is a transferable knowledge. The principles of accuracy sports remain the same. Larry who knows nothing about playing the violin has taught in Israel in master classes for the violin because of the transferable knowledge of posture and mechanical efficiency.

Plus as always you ignore that I provided external sources confirming what I am saying about proper form. What I am stating is observable. Call OC and talk to him. There are mechanical reasons that Maya, KML, and Maggie Lucas are 45+% 3 point shooters and Stewie is sub 35% on threes.

Here is a video on Maya's form about 15 seconds in there is a great shot from behind the rim where you can see all the points I have been making about shooting form.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is remarkable that Stewart shoots as well as he does, considering the length of the levers involved. Her small mechanical inconsistencies get magnified just because of the length of her arms. Great shooting tends to correlate with shorter wingspans. That a player with the wingspan of an NBA center shoots as well he does is remarkable, but it is magnified when she is off. Especially because she doesn't have the consistent mechanics of someone like Maya.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is remarkable that Stewart shoots as well as he does, considering the length of the levers involved. Her small mechanical inconsistencies get magnified just because of the length of her arms. Great shooting tends to correlate with shorter wingspans. That a player with the wingspan of an NBA center shoots as well he does is remarkable, but it is magnified when she is off. Especially because she doesn't have the consistent mechanics of someone like Maya.
That is exactly right, Scotter, and is all the more reason attention to form is important.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm learning so much in this thread.... For example, I never knew that this guy had terrible mechanics:

original.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm learning so much in this thread.... For example, I never knew that this guy had terrible mechanics:

original.jpg

He does and doesn't but it is not classic. What you are looking at includes some of the elements I have mentioned, not all. His shoulders are level and open from the shot line, his elbow is under the apparent line of the ball. There is also a difference between being a great shooter and building a shot on great principles. It is possible to easily identify a dozen great NBA shooters who had bad form. They master the issue of accuracy by hundreds of shots a day. He never was a consistent 3 point shooter ranging during his career from seasons at .212 and .247 to highs of .427 and .424. He was inconsistent.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
He doesn't but it is not classic. What you are looking includes some of the elements I have mentioned, not all.There is also a difference between being a great shooter and building a shot on great principles.
ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32