Stewie Dunks for ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie Dunks for ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can see why she never dunks in real game. It does not look like she does not have much clearance even for a practice dunk at controlled speed with no defender.
I'm not sure. She posterized some guy at the Rec center pretty viciously.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Like it or not, the women's game is seen as lesser by a huge proportion of the sports fan population "because they can't dunk." I'm all for having the trogs have to at least qualify their remarks by adding, "Ah, except for that Griner woman, or Parker, or Stewart or that other one I saw on the ESPN video."

It's not going to change the game because most women cannot dunk at 10', and why not let the women who can have their fun showing they can do a fancy throw down just like the guys. It brings the women's game into the sphere of acceptance for a wider variety of fans and adds a spark of anticipation and excitement without altering the general play much at all if it's done every once in a while.

Reaction Score
Bayareahusky- - - i think we risk hurting the game severely if we support a "me too" conjoining with the men's game, and introduce the amazing dunk as a staple of our game.

We can never win if compared to MBB's on Men's skills, so we'd be destroying what makes WBB unique! We have to be a separate entity on team work, hustle, WBB skill sets, passing, etc. I love that UCONN's players dive into the stands to save a ball winning by 40+ points with 2 minutes remaining in the game! No WCBB team plays as hard and "sells out" as UCONN does for 40 minutes! And that's why UCONN dominates! No other coaching staff gets the total committment from their players as our great staff does! You'll see that more in WBB than MBB! Men don't want to ruin that BIG PAYDAY!
I thought it was so neat when MoJeff dived over a table after a ball late in a big game recently and Doris Burke pointed out Geno was yelling, shaking his fist and loving her hustle!

Reaction Score
Like it or not, the women's game is seen as lesser by a huge proportion of the sports fan population "because they can't dunk." I'm all for having the trogs have to at least qualify their remarks by adding, "Ah, except for that Griner woman, or Parker, or Stewart or that other one I saw on the ESPN video."

It's not going to change the game because most women cannot dunk at 10', and why not let the women who can have their fun showing they can do a fancy throw down just like the guys. It brings the women's game into the sphere of acceptance for a wider variety of fans and adds a spark of anticipation and excitement without altering the general play much at all if it's done every once in a while.

Hi Dobbs..... it is my belief that the emphasis on dunking in the women's game hurts our game comparatively versus the men. There are very few things in the world in which the women are not the equal of the men. One is physical strength. and another would be physical size...... so with the basket at the same 10 feet..... why do we have to stick our proverbial chests out and say "oh yeah we can do that too"

WCBB recognized long ago that physical size being smaller, the hand size is smaller, so they play with a slightly smaller ball..... why try and compete with the men at the same level... at the same height........ i think you can agree that there is SO MUCH to highlight in the women's game to promote it, ala a Moriah Jefferson hustle play where she jumped over the scorers table a couple of weeks back, that why do we want to prove - via a skill done frequently and dramatically by our male counterparts - that we can do what the boys are doing as well....

And as I think I said in an earlier post, my biggest problem with the whole dunking thing is that it is so heavily promoted and talked about by the announcing team ... that so and so can dunk..... and then THEY DO NOT...... it just leads to perceived false advertising and unmet expectations...... If I am in charge of marketing the game (and this, coincidentally, has been my entire career)..... I would steer clear of trying to be like the boys and pick out and highlight the things that are unique to WCBB in which WE have the comparative advantage .... and serve as reasons folks enjoy our game so much.

Reaction Score
Hi Dobbs..... it is my belief that the emphasis on dunking in the women's game hurts our game comparatively versus the men. There are very few things in the world in which the women are not the equal of the men. One is physical strength. and another would be physical size. so with the basket at the same 10 feet..... why do we have to stick our proverbial chests out and say "oh yeah we can do that too"

WCBB recognized long ago that physical size being smaller, the hand size is smaller, so they play with a slightly smaller ball..... why try and compete with the men at the same level... at the same height... i think you can agree that there is SO MUCH to highlight in the women's game to promote it, ala a Moriah Jefferson hustle play where she jumped over the scorers table a couple of weeks back, that why do we want to prove - via a skill done frequently and dramatically by our male counterparts - that we can do what the boys are doing as well....

And as I think I said in an earlier post, my biggest problem with the whole dunking thing is that it is so heavily promoted and talked about by the announcing team ... that so and so can dunk..... and then THEY DO NOT. it just leads to perceived false advertising and unmet expectations. If I am in charge of marketing the game (and this, coincidentally, has been my entire career)..... I would steer clear of trying to be like the boys and pick out and highlight the things that are unique to WCBB in which WE have the comparative advantage .... and serve as reasons folks enjoy our game so much.
I think people not coming to our games hurts it more than dunking.

Reaction Score
I want to see a Stewie payback dunk over someone who's been giving her a particularly nasty physical beating. Or on Notre Dame , last second exclamation point in a 40-point NC victory.

I think dunking would help promote the game. If you could get a few more to watch a game - for whatever reason - then maybe a few of those would like the 'regular' game too and stay around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know if she could do it effectively so it is the sure thing that it is in the men's game (and yes I know that guys miss dunks just like they do lay ups) then I'm all for it. From the vids in this thread, I don't see it. It's cool that she's that physically gifted but UConn players aren't about showboating. So just lay in in get the two points and get back on D.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hi Dobbs..... it is my belief that the emphasis on dunking in the women's game hurts our game comparatively versus the men. There are very few things in the world in which the women are not the equal of the men. One is physical strength. and another would be physical size. so with the basket at the same 10 feet..... why do we have to stick our proverbial chests out and say "oh yeah we can do that too"

WCBB recognized long ago that physical size being smaller, the hand size is smaller, so they play with a slightly smaller ball..... why try and compete with the men at the same level... at the same height... i think you can agree that there is SO MUCH to highlight in the women's game to promote it, ala a Moriah Jefferson hustle play where she jumped over the scorers table a couple of weeks back, that why do we want to prove - via a skill done frequently and dramatically by our male counterparts - that we can do what the boys are doing as well....

And as I think I said in an earlier post, my biggest problem with the whole dunking thing is that it is so heavily promoted and talked about by the announcing team ... that so and so can dunk..... and then THEY DO NOT. it just leads to perceived false advertising and unmet expectations. If I am in charge of marketing the game (and this, coincidentally, has been my entire career)..... I would steer clear of trying to be like the boys and pick out and highlight the things that are unique to WCBB in which WE have the comparative advantage .... and serve as reasons folks enjoy our game so much.
Sorry, but I'm with Annie (Oakley), and that the "Anything you can do I can do" theme is one that should be pushed in fun and friendly competition. Can't see Annie O'Stewie singing "I can dunk a ball, buttttt, I'm chicken to try."

In both WCBB and MCBB players pass the ball, players steal the ball, players rebound the ball, players shoot the ball, but in only one sport do the players do something that has become an accepted part of the game for anyone born after 1950, and that's dunk the ball.

Again why would you think that a few dunks is suddenly going to rob WCBB of its brand for doing things like hustling after loose balls? Women who are capable of jumping over scorers tables and dunking (not MoJeff unless she's on Stewie's shoulders) should have the freedom to do it and reach whatever they choose for their full potential. Women don't have to dunk better then men to compete for the sports fans' attention, they just have to do it some. Fans are smart enough to make allowances for the physical limitations of women's players in certain aspects of the game, but a lot of them are not going to have a great deal of respect players if the view is, "Oh, I've heard they can do it, but they're afraid to even try."

Reaction Score
because, for instance, in the NCAA championship game, doris burke was saying ..... at about 53-40.... talking about Stewart..... "and she can DUNK EASILY..... #1 why does that matter, #2 Why the accentuated focus on this skill, and #3, has anyone seen her do it in a game?

Overall it is not a huge thing for me, though i have devoted a few posts to the subject here..... just my opinion that it does not help the women's game to constantly say "Gee, whiz bang, you should see this girl dunk the basketball!!!!!"

Reaction Score
I don't really care to see dunking become a regular part of the women's game - I'm not watching Griner or Parker to see their average dunks. But the (small) anti-dunking contingent on this board is a strange breed.

Make dunking illegal? Uh, I'd prefer if they didn't set the women's game back a few decades with a rule like that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not really. Most players can grip the ball better with their off hand.
hmmm, gonna have to disagree on that. In fact I can't think of anyone who dunks with their off hand.

Reaction Score
If WBB not dunking is holding the crowds down at games then we're in bigger do-do then we thought! I think that even dunking wouldn't raise the attendance because only about .1% is able to do it so it would be so rare that it wouldn't make a difference! IMHO the problem stems from the macho outlook of most men that women can't be as entertaining athletes as males! The pay scale in Basketball, Tennis, Golf, among other sports, where the male athlete makes multi-millions and the female athlete makes $300,000 to $500,000! I understand it revolves around what the market will bear. Sponsors will pay $5 million to Tiger for winning a golf tournament (which he doesn't do to often now), and the best female won't get the same interest! But if the true sports fan will give WBB chance I feel they'll come back for more!
I'm 67 years old ex-NYCer and I remember when football players would run for a 5-yard gain get up and go back to the huddle! Now you have to flex, point, dance, scream, and the other BS that gets you on camera! Or just making a tackle for no-gain and just huddling up not showing the latest dance moves!
I remember the UCLA/Wooden, Celtics & Knicks of the 1960's & 1970's where THE TEAM made the game great! And Bill Russell sacrificed his offensive game so he could dominate on defense! Where Willis Reed hobbling out of the locker room to hit 2 shots and inspire his Knicks to a title over the Lakers! Now each teams star dribbles around for 15 seconds dunks it and shows off and the opponents star dribbles around for 15 seconds then dunks it and shows his manhood scream!
Where a Baseball player can hit a ball 400' and run immediately around the bases and into the dugout in 15 seconds not 5 minutes of watching and admiring his shot then semi trot around the bases! Or Rodney when getting a save shoots imaginary arrows into the air! Give me Mariano Rivera every-time, he oozes CLASS from every pore!
How can you not appreciate/love UCONN an ND for example, going at it tooth and nail not caring who's tonight's star, diving for balls, team defense, 8 lightning quick passes to get a layup, giving their 150% of effort, to win the game!
It's a society problem where a woman makes less than a man for doing the same job!
Perception is everything in today's culture!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
hmmm, gonna have to disagree on that. In fact I can't think of anyone who dunks with their off hand.

It is true what you say, but it is also true that it is easier to grip a basketball with your off hand.

Reaction Score
It is true what you say, but it is also true that it is easier to grip a basketball with your off hand.

I am an exception to your rule, because it's way easier for me to grip a basketball with my dominant hand (left hand).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
eh, don't buy that either. At least not from my experiences. Can't come up with any reason why it would be.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
eh, don't buy that either. At least not from my experiences. Can't come up with any reason why it would be.
I think it is easier for some people (at least from their reports) to grip the ball with the off hand, but it's probably just because of something that has happened to the strong hand to make it less flexible or able to grip. I used to jump off the left foot and used my principle right hand, but now because of certain issues I would use the left hand (on maybe an 8 foot rim).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom