Stewie Dunks for ESPN | The Boneyard

Stewie Dunks for ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can see why she never dunks in real game. It does not look like she does not have much clearance even for a practice dunk at controlled speed with no defender.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!! Ten times next game for her, baby! Above the rim like in the men's game, and screw all that fancy passing stuff.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I can see why she never dunks in real game. It does not look like she does not have much clearance even for a practice dunk at controlled speed with no defender.
But it looks like she took maybe three steps. On a fast break ahead of the field she has a lot more speed going into the jam.

But right, the cockatoo in the next video in the embedded collection does have a bit more clearance.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
For those that like to over-analyze, here's the dunk in slo-mo

Looks like she stuck the landing pretty well, but Stewie looks a little slow on her approach to the rim.

Reaction Score
...shes running in slow motion-haha, good one.

Also, pvdoggy, I think her clearance was enough, wasn't it?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kinda weird she dunks left handed???? :confused:

Reaction Score
Two things:

1.) She makes it look pretty effortless to me, would love to see it in a game (or warmups)
2.) Someone should teach Stewie (and Ryan Boatright) to go off one foot! It's a lot easier to dunk that way.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The real question is: would Geno LET one of his players dunk in a game?

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
At the World Championships in Istanbul, Brittany Griner dunked often during team warmups..

Nothing during the games, however... It's a different environment game-time... It counts!!!

Reaction Score
The real question is: would Geno LET one of his players dunk in a game?
He said that Stewie would dunk while she was at UConn. That was during a Geno Show back in 2012 I believe. It appears the only one preventing Stewie from dunking is Stewie. Even Mo has said she is "being a baby" about it. I'm guessing she will never do it, at least not while in college. With nearly 3/4 of her college career gone, it's becoming apparent it's just not in her DNA to want to be in the spotlight like that for the same reason she doesn't feel the need to score 30 or 40 every night even though we all know she could. This is a player that won a NPOY award last year and didn't even bother to tell her parents, so clearly individual accolades and attention don't matter to her.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I thought she would have dunked that break against So Carolina with Morgan. She went up for the rebound and was well above the rim.

Reaction Score
I think i am in the minority about this, but i have always been fascinated by everyone's fascination with the dunk - and the associated ability to dunk..... in the women's game..... you turn on ESPN to a women's game, and whether it be Brittney Griner, or Stewie, or Candace Parker, Lisa Leslie, or Georganne Wells..... a huge emphasis is made on their ability to dunk the basketball

To me it takes away from the sheer beauty of what distinguishes WCBB from MCBB..... teamwork, fundamentals, etc.... a deemphasis of individual skills to a degree if you will..... Is the mention of ability to dunk so that we can mimic the men's game? Or perhaps it is to emphasize individual skills..... or hype the programming...... but I do not see the need to have this promotion as part of the game..... if anything, I think it detracts from the unbelievable skills these ladies possess..... because I cannot remember one time I saw a woman dunk in a game.... no once I saw Griner do it..... but if it is highly talked about ... the ability to do it.... and then they do not do it.... then does this mean they really suck?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At the World Championships in Istanbul, Brittany Griner dunked often during team warmups..

Nothing during the games, however... It's a different environment game-time... It counts!!!
In the early round, over at Abdi Ipecki, Maya fed Britney for a dunk in a game. I think Cat, TJI, and ESD can verify this. Nothing like having Maya Moore take the ball to the hoop and drawing the defense, while Griner fills the lane. That's a winning play!

Maya almost dunked in a UConn game, but lost control of the ball. I'm pretty sure that Geno's view is: "Just make the basket. I don't care if you dunk or not." Of course, he would not want any hot-dogging.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
For those that like to over-analyze, here's the dunk in slo-mo

Biff- Uuuuuu rrrrrrrrrrrr aaaaamaaaaaazingggggg!!!!!!!!!!!! ( u r amazing- in slow motion!) thanks for that. I'm more impressed watching if in slo mo- just how high she got!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think i am in the minority about this, but i have always been fascinated by everyone's fascination with the dunk - and the associated ability to dunk..... in the women's game..... you turn on ESPN to a women's game, and whether it be Brittney Griner, or Stewie, or Candace Parker, Lisa Leslie, or Georganne Wells..... a huge emphasis is made on their ability to dunk the basketball

To me it takes away from the sheer beauty of what distinguishes WCBB from MCBB..... teamwork, fundamentals, etc.... a deemphasis of individual skills to a degree if you will..... Is the mention of ability to dunk so that we can mimic the men's game? Or perhaps it is to emphasize individual skills..... or hype the programming. but I do not see the need to have this promotion as part of the game..... if anything, I think it detracts from the unbelievable skills these ladies possess..... because I cannot remember one time I saw a woman dunk in a game.... no once I saw Griner do it..... but if it is highly talked about ... the ability to do it.... and then they do not do it.... then does this mean they really suck?

It would be a treat because there are few WBB players that CAN dunk.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Two things:

1.) She makes it look pretty effortless to me, would love to see it in a game (or warmups)
2.) Someone should teach Stewie (and Ryan Boatright) to go off one foot! It's a lot easier to dunk that way.
Yeah because Boatright doesn't have any hops. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

To me it takes away from the sheer beauty of what distinguishes WCBB from MCBB..... teamwork, fundamentals, etc.... a deemphasis of individual skills to a degree if you will..... Is the mention of ability to dunk so that we can mimic the men's game? Or perhaps it is to emphasize individual skills..... or hype the programming. but I do not see the need to have this promotion as part of the game..... if anything, I think it detracts from the unbelievable skills these ladies possess..... because I cannot remember one time I saw a woman dunk in a game.... no once I saw Griner do it..... but if it is highly talked about ... the ability to do it.... and then they do not do it.... then does this mean they really suck?

Bayareahusky- - -I'm with you 150%! I wish they'd make dunking illegal in WBB! It seems to most of the suits it justifies a reason to watch WBB because some can dunk otherwise WBB sucks! You will NEVER see Stewie dunk or a UCONN player for that matter dunk in public practice or game! That's not what UCONN/Geno/CD is about, it's a "look at me I'm special act" and UCONN is all about the team!
It annoys me watching Candace Parker dunk then look for the camera and make a face and yell and it's all about her! Watching her play makes me want to puke! I personally wouldn't want her sitting in my gym let alone playing on my team! There's so many other players that care about their team first and not just themselves! I really got a kick out of watching the Sparks lose last season as they had a team filled with watch me I'm great players, and that's why they were horrible!

Reaction Score
Thank you for the support rshermvikes!!! Yeah, it is just crazy to love this game so beautifully, and artfully played...... and then to get the buzzkill.....hearing the hype on benchmark skills and dunking being at the top of those skills........ i think we risk hurting the game severely if we support a "me too" conjoining with the men's game, and introduce the amazing dunk as a staple of our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom