Statue of Pat | The Boneyard

Statue of Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I watched it be unveiled and was disappointed at the way she is depicted. It would have been great to have the steely glare I think. But apparently she is thrilled, and at this moment, I guess that's what matters.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Pat looked great. Like the statue and dedication a lot. LOVED that the statue was so tall they couldn't get the black covering off of it. One of the tall Tenn players jogged over to use her height to lift the covering over her head for the unveiling! It was a fun moment... Great way to honor the legend, and I'm sure Pat was quite moved by the whole atmosphere and experience...

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I don't get it. In the space where the member usually puts in their avatar, Semper and stwainfan have put in Pat's statue. But the pictures of it look completely different.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
I don't get it. In the space where the member usually puts in their avatar, Semper and stwainfan have put in Pat's statue. But the pictures of it look completely different.

Better get your eyes checked. They looked the same to me. Maybe it was the size of the crowd or the angle you were looking waaaay up at.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Excuse me, but I would never use a picture of Pat as my avatar. I bleed blue.

Reaction Score
I love the way she is depicted. Yes she was known for the stare but she also loves her players. The look on her face, to me, is the look players saw after they had been screamed at and something finally clicked for them and they performed how they were supposed to.

Reaction Score
Loved the AD teaching the Tenn audience how to count down from three - just reinforcement.:)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I think the statue and recognition are great...very fitting.

what did Pat mean by "this is something I will never forget"

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
One of the tall Tenn players jogged over to use her height to lift the covering over her head for the unveiling! ..

I had to do a double take b/c I thought it was Candace Parker.

Reaction Score
I think a nice mural would have worked better and depicted her in a more natural and realistic state. Esthetically a lady in a pant suit just doesn't translate well to bronze. Never been a fan of statues myself, they never seem to actually look like the individuals they attempt to recreate. I believe the purpose they once served is no longer relevant. People can be memorialized in many different ways today. Trouble with statues is they are a pain if you ever want to remove them. Think of Lenin, Stalin, Papa Joe etc. Of course the pigeons love them. No disrespect meant to Pat, but a statue is a bit over the top for anyone now days. I think if anyone ever wanted to put up a statue of me, I would demand that it depict me sitting on the toilet reading a book.

Reaction Score
If Geno gets a statue or banner, etc. will it be of him lunging out of the coach's box with CD trying to block him from the ref's view?
th.jpg

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
No disrespect meant to Pat, but a statue is a bit over the top for anyone now days.

And a mural ain't?

As for removing a statue, rather cynical, ain't it?Personally, I'd like a statue of Geno outside, sitting on a bench, with room for folks to sit next to him...

Or this:
images

Or, something like this:
166182898.jpg

Reaction Score
Here's just the statue pic-

Attachments

• 1382565153000-pat-summitt-statue.jpg
    1382565153000-pat-summitt-statue.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 146

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
It really does not look like Pat. Face is pretty far off.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And a mural ain't?

Or, something like this:
166182898.jpg

Was this perhaps the Heather Buck moment?
Never saw that picture before.
Everyone's enjoyment and myrth is palpable.

Reaction Score
And a mural ain't?

As for removing a statue, rather cynical, ain't it?Personally, I'd like a statue of Geno outside, sitting on a bench, with room for folks to sit next to him...

Or this:
images

Or, something like this:
166182898.jpg
Wasn't implying that they would remove Pats statue, but was only intended as a comment on statues in general. I just keep getting get an image of Lenin's Statue being removed by helicopter. Statues are somewhat like Tattoos, they seem like a good idea until their finished and you ask " What was I thinking". The are far easier put on ( tattoo's) or erect ( statues) than to get rid of them once there. Statues are best suited to Generals on horses, or Greeks/Romans in toga's , but not so much WCBB coaches. I can just imagine visitors to the U. of Tenn in the far future wondering what a statue of Will Rogers is doing in front of an athletic building.

Reaction Score
Statues should never be erected for living people. Unless they have finished out their lives and some additional time has passed, there is no certainty that something might come up to challenge the wisdom of erecting the statue to begin with.

I agree the statue of Pat doesn't look like her. Perhaps it was designed so that with a few minor revisions, it could be converted to a stature of Athletic Director Dave Hart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom