State of things | The Boneyard

State of things

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I've done something I tend to avoid after a bad loss (or two) and I went ahead and clicked on a few threads. I've seen Ollie blamed, Napier blamed, Brimah blamed, Olander blamed and even Jim Calhoun blamed. Blaming JC for a team two years removed is kind of silly - I've heard the arguments, but do you really think the team would be playing like this under JC? (yes, I know it's hard to replace a legend, more on that later).

Anybody who is not worried about Ollie's ability to coach needs to watch the game a little closer. A year and a half in, he still hasn't learned how to use timeouts effectively. Part of this may be an adjustment from the NBA where late game timeouts are far more valuable than the college game (being able to advance the ball to half court). But he's really got to learn to use them to stop runs and make adjustments and sometimes just give the two guards who play 65 minutes a breather. Doesn't help much using a bunch of them in the last two minutes of a blowout.

Next, I'm tired of hearing that he can't really be judged until he gets 'his guys.' This is doubly flawed. First, he recruited a lot of these guys directly when JC was the coach, so they are at least 50% his guys to begin with. Second, what makes you think 'his guys' going forward are going to be better than the guys a hall of fame coach was able to recruit? Don't tell me he'll get guys to fit his system. His system is basically JCs system - it's where he started from. He's got way better players sitting on his bench than Houston or SMU has. And I don't want to hear how the front court was left bare. Olander hasn't improved in two years - he's probably gotten worse. Nolan is not a stitch better than he was last year. DD is 6'9 and is a couple boards a game behind Napier. He's down a rebound a game from last year. I'll give Brimah and Facey a pass for now. But none of the bigs have gotten appreciably better and some have regressed. You have to put some of that on the coaching.

How do you have your two best shooters take two shots combined in the first half? Don't tell me the players aren't executing or not shooting. It's his job to get them shots and if they aren't taking them, to correct that situation and get them shooting the ball. There are 4 TV timeouts in a half plus the extra you're going to take - at some point you get in Napiers and Giffeys face and tell them to shoot the damn ball. It's just not acceptable to let them go an entire half with two shots between them.

Finally, I know UConn teams under JC would take at least half a season before you saw a solid 40 minutes. But at this point, he'd have them focused for at least 30 minutes a game. We are seeing maybe 15 minutes of real focus, 15 minutes of interest and 10 minutes of looking totally lost and bewildered. That again is on the coach.

OK - I've ripped him enough. I am just giving examples that a good part of how the team is playing is on the coaching staff. That said he's only in his second year and experience is underrated. He just doesn't have a lot yet. I've reiterated this in the chat room but how many of you were as good at your job in your second year than in your 5th or 10th? I don't want to hear he was the coach on the floor for years in the NBA. He wasn't. He wasn't deciding who played, he wasn't deciding when to call a timeout, he wasn't designing game plans or deciding who was going to guard players on the other team. It's like a solid accountant getting promoted to manage a group of accountants. It takes a while to learn how to be a good manager.

I do think he will be a good coach in the long run. It's just a matter of how long that will take. Hopefully sooner than later, obviously. It may just be that he would be a great NBA coach and not a great college coach. Hopefully he turns into a great coach, but right now, there are lots of things he has to do better.

Blindly saying 'ten toes in' and arguing that none of the way his team is playing is his fault is short sighted and dishonest.

I started the season with my husky blue glasses thinking we had a potential final four team. I've readjusted my lenses and realized we're probably a good 5 years from a sweet 16 elite 8 team from a coaching and player development perspective.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The front court is void of effective talent leaving K O with 2 guards to carry the load. And one of them sometimes can't crank it up until the 2nd half.

Great post, Jim

Reaction Score
Pretty simple here……..neither Deandre or Calhoun are half of what we expected. Deandre is softer than his finish last year, and by a lot, and Omar is missing woefully from 3 and still can't dribble. I mean there is more to it than these 2 things but these 2 stand out and probably would add to at least another win………..2 guys who are paddling backwards!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Agree with Ollie treating timeouts like an NBA game. He clearly doesn't like to use them to stop runs.

Reaction Score
te="mauconnfan, post: 806864, member: 489"]Pretty simple here……..neither Deandre or Calhoun are half of what we expected. Deandre is softer than his finish last year, and by a lot, and Omar is missing woefully from 3 and still can't dribble. I mean there is more to it than these 2 things but these 2 stand out and probably would add to at least another win………..2 guys who are paddling backwards![/quote]

Plus our 2 best offensive weapons are 6' or <. They go to the rim but often are taking contested layups.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple here……..neither Deandre or Calhoun are half of what we expected. Deandre is softer than his finish last year, and by a lot, and Omar is missing woefully from 3 and still can't dribble. I mean there is more to it than these 2 things but these 2 stand out and probably would add to at least another win………..2 guys who are paddling backwards!

I agree Mau. I think a big reason most of us are so frustrated (beyond losing to Houston and SMU) is that we returned EVERYBODY and GOT WORSE. I know it's somewhat early in the season but being 0-2 in conference, and playing worse than last year with everyone back has some of us on edge. I think there is no doubt we can turn it around but every game is huge from here on out. We aren't rolling over anybody the way we come out flat and give up leads..

Reaction Score
Many of us predicted a loss to SMU in this game as early as the day after UConn beat Florida. What is shocking, however, is the Houston loss.

Reaction Score
Everything about Ollie's in game coaching reeks NBA. That's not this teams problem. People love to draw comparisons to the 2011 team. This team is nothing like that. Looking back, that team had 2 above average NBA players and at worst, two high caliber European players and a formidable front court. This team has none of that. Fact, Napier is the only elite talent on the floor and any good opposing coach can neutralize 1 player. Fact, either he hasn't healed from off season or surgery or worse he simply isn't that good, but Omar Calhoun is hurting us on the floor and should be taken out of the rotation. Fact, Deandre Daniels is not NBA worthy, he cannot create his own shot and has no handle. I can go on and on. Bottomline, I don't blame Ollie, I actually applaud him. He has gotten more out of this group than their talent warrants. They are just not that good and the past month has proven that.

pj

Reaction Score
Fact, Napier is the only elite talent on the floor and any good opposing coach can neutralize 1 player. Fact, either he hasn't healed from off season or surgery or worse he simply isn't that good, but Omar Calhoun is hurting us on the floor and should be taken out of the rotation. Fact, Deandre Daniels is not NBA worthy, he cannot create his own shot and has no handle.

Fact, players are overrated when they win and underrated when they lose.

Reaction Score
Fact, players are overrated when they win and underrated when they lose.
Fact, ditto for the coach. So who is at at fault? Let me guess....no one. The refs were bad, UConn had to travel, they haven't been home in a week, etc.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I agree Mau. I think a big reason most of us are so frustrated (beyond losing to Houston and SMU) is that we returned EVERYBODY and GOT WORSE. I know it's somewhat early in the season but being 0-2 in conference, and playing worse than last year with everyone back has some of us on edge. I think there is no doubt we can turn it around but every game is huge from here on out. We aren't rolling over anybody the way we come out flat and give up leads..
We lost Brendan Allen, Keifer Lammi, Trey Williams, and Dave Vandal. You can't bounce back from that.

Reaction Score
There is blame everywhere and a lot of it falls on KO. 7 minutes left, smu is gaining momentum and the crowd is getting into it, they catch uconn asleep in the halfcourt and throw a backdoor ally oop, crowd is going wild, smu goes up about 10 points, im begging for a time out, nothing. Over the next five minutes they hit a couple WIDE OPEN threes, no time outs, no getting in anyones face, no subs, no immediate accountability. Then they out hustle uconn for a breakaway dunk, no timeout. Now there's 2 minutes left and the huskies are down 13 with almost no chance to win. This, to me would be mind blowing from a high school coach, let alone a high d1 college coach.

Ollie also needs to establish more offense than a high pick and roll over and over. He needs to develop some offensive sets that play to our players strengths, give them confidence, and help establish a couple of "go to" plays when they need them. I can think of several, but that's for another thread.

I am generally not a complainer, and I want KO to succeed as much as anyone, but i have been very surprised with what i feel is generally subpar coaching, and im talking about really basic stuff, not rocket science.

Reaction Score
I love this thread, the panic button has been pushed. My view on this is that we played better than we are early in the season and are playing worse than we are lately. Hopefully we snap out of the funk and the team continues to improve through the end of the season. By the way, Harvard on Weds. is no gimme.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I love this thread, the panic button has been pushed. My view on this is that we played better than we are early in the season and are playing worse than we are lately. Hopefully we snap out of the funk and the team continues to improve through the end of the season. By the way, Harvard on Weds. is no gimme.
For me it's not a panic button - it's a reset button. Time to reset where we are with a coach with 1.5 years of total head coaching experience guiding one of the top D1 programs in the country. It's going to take some time for him to get enough experience to do it well - hopefully he learns quickly. He probably doesn't have the time JC got to turn a bad program around and finally reach a final four or at least an elite 8.

I will say he's done a remarkable job recruiting and if he continues, he should be fine. It's easier to coach with great talent. Land a great big and he's gonna be OK.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Fact, ditto for the coach. So who is at at fault? Let me guess....no one. The refs were bad, UConn had to travel, they haven't been home in a week, etc.
No ...no you can blame me.......... My wife does!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom