State of College Sports: What is biggest issue in the NIL space? (On3) | The Boneyard

State of College Sports: What is biggest issue in the NIL space? (On3)

Reaction Score
How would Title IX be an issue? These are private deals not linked to the schools. A business can make a deal with whoever they want so long as they are not discriminating against a protected class

Reaction Score
How would Title IX be an issue? These are private deals not linked to the schools. A business can make a deal with whoever they want so long as they are not discriminating against a protected class
I agree with you, but you know at some point, some female athlete(s) is (are) going to raise this issue. The vast majority of NIL money goes to football players who are exclusively male. It's not a Title IX issue per se, but it will be framed as an equality issue, i.e. men are exposed to more NIL deals because of football. There's NIL equality with men's and women's basketball, hockey and baseball/softball because those sports carry the same number on the roster, but football is exclusively a men's thing. Not saying I agree with it, but you know it's going to happen.

Reaction Score
I agree with you, but you know at some point, some female athlete(s) is (are) going to raise this issue. The vast majority of NIL money goes to football players who are exclusively male. It's not a Title IX issue per se, but it will be framed as an equality issue, i.e. men are exposed to more NIL deals because of football. There's NIL equality with men's and women's basketball, hockey and baseball/softball because those sports carry the same number on the roster, but football is exclusively a men's thing. Not saying I agree with it, but you know it's going to happen.
From the linked article above:

-> “NIL and Title IX are about to collide – and it’s just a question of when and where. Title IX says schools have to provide male student-athletes and female student-athletes with equal treatment and benefits, and almost no school in the country is doing that now without NIL. With NIL, it is far, far worse. To be clear, if the school is not at all involved and third parties are treating male athletes at the school far better than women athletes and giving them tons of money that women aren’t getting, there is no Title IX violation, because Title IX only applies to educational institutions receiving federal funds.

“But if the schools are involved and the men are getting way more than women, then there is a blatant Title IX violation – and it needs to be stopped. The history of Title IX has shown that women don’t get equality unless they are willing to fight for it. What makes the difference is women being willing to sue.” <-

Reaction Score
“NIL and Title IX are about to collide – and it’s just a question of when and where. Title IX says schools have to provide male student-athletes and female student-athletes with equal treatment and benefits, and almost no school in the country is doing that now without NIL. With NIL, it is far, far worse.

I would hope that UConn with big time womens basketball (and crappy football) would not have this problem. Paige alone covers a significant amount of the total football nil.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

mac.jpg

Reaction Score
Well at least we have got the EA Sports lawsuit settled and the CFB game is on track for '24. I for one am excited that it includes the transfer portal-assuming it will be updated daily or in real time, it will be quite an experience to bid on talent. Interested to see how EA Sports determine how much funding each school has at its disposal.

Reaction Score
I must say it would be the funniest thing in the history of sports if donors had to pay equal NIL money to female and male athletes. Maybe that would be enough to shut this whole thing down

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom