State College product Kyla Irwin thought she was a hard worker. Then she went to UConn. | The Boneyard

State College product Kyla Irwin thought she was a hard worker. Then she went to UConn.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I really, really like this youngster. She's a digger and her attitude about crashing it hard this summer bodes well for her.

It became pretty clear by the last third of the season that she can contribute in positive ways. She seems confident, sticks her nose into physical play, isn't afraid to shoot and shoots pretty well. Seemed to me to be one of the end of benchers you wonder how she would do with a little more time on the floor with 3-4 starters. We all know next year isn't much of a clear path for her either.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
About a month into the season, Crystal Dangerfield made the same exact observation. Dangerfield said that she knew coming in that it would be tough. She thought she was a hard worker. However after a month of Geno's "boot camp" for freshmen, she realized that this was going to be thougher than she thought. She said that nothing she did or experienced in high school or AAU, prepared her for UConn's practices. Hearing the same thing from two different first year players suggests how demanding Geno 's practice's really are.

Reaction Score
C
About a month into the season, Crystal Dangerfield made the same exact observation. Dangerfield said that she knew coming in that it would be tough. She thought she was a hard worker. However after a month of Geno's "boot camp" for freshmen, she realized that this was going to be thougher than she thought. She said that nothing she did or experienced in high school or AAU, prepared her for UConn's practices. Hearing the same thing from two different first year players suggests how demanding Geno 's practice's really are.
Danger never seemed to regain her momentum once she had the stress fracture. Wonder how much this affected her at end of year. While "In Geno we trust" is my mantra, I do question based on the continual issues we have each year whether he does push the issue too far, particularly in a year with little substitutions.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Azura Stevens made the comment that at Duke she learned how to play women's college basketball, but now she was learning how to play UConn basketball. An even more striking testament from a star player coming in from another top college program.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I really, really like this youngster. She's a digger and her attitude about crashing it hard this summer bodes well for her.
I must admit I don't expect much from Kyla and Molly, but it is impossible to not like their moxie. UCONN needs a good backup rebounder and defender who can be a decent scoring threat. I think Kyla has a knack for scoring and can be a decent rebounder. If she can become a good defender, she can become a contributor. Big IF! With Molly I don't see sufficient athleticism, speed, and quickness. BUT yet Moseley, then CD, then Ralph and finally Geno saw enough to recruit her. She needs to think score much more than she did this past season. The team needs a strong guard defender, be that player. She has brains galore! Figure it out! Apply that brain power in ways to make up for the lack of physical skills. Larry Bird may or may not have been a candidate for an Ivy League university, but he did have a gift for the mental part of basketball which more than made up for his lack of physical gifts (OK, on occasion he could shoot the ball!:rolleyes:). In a lower case manner I think Molly could do the same.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
C

Danger never seemed to regain her momentum once she had the stress fracture. Wonder how much this affected her at end of year. While "In Geno we trust" is my mantra, I do question based on the continual issues we have each year whether he does push the issue too far, particularly in a year with little substitutions.

If Dangerfield can ever play at this level, we'll find out next season. I think she can. I guess I'm willing to give her more time to make the sophomore leap than most others. I never expected her to play like anything other than what she was, a freshman. Next season, I expect to see a marked improvement in all areas of her game. I expect her to play like a seasoned sophomore, nothing less.

Reaction Score
C

Danger was a big deal in the Baylor game---then got to learn Defense the Geno way--Concussion--Foot issues--all slowed her down--but the last few games of the season and in the NCAA's including the FF--she put in a lot of time
That time and when it happened --are HugE indicators of what Geno thinks of her. If she isn't Uconn's premier Point guard next season---I'll have missed a bet.
I don't buy into if you are a bench warmer as a frosh--you are relegated to that role--it all depends on your ability to "make A difference" when you enter the game. Make the big stop, score the needed basket--don't look to the bench--make good passes, assist rebound---loads of things to do--if you do all that --you will move up the bench and out of the role business--don't know of many bench sitters that moved up and out some just took the easier road.

Reaction Score
I don't know why this seems like a surprise to any incoming freshman if they have paid any attention at all to Uconn program. Pretty much every single freshman that has come before them have said the same thing.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Azura Stevens made the comment that at Duke she learned how to play women's college basketball, but now she was learning how to play UConn basketball. An even more striking testament from a star player coming in from another top college program.

I remember her saying that. If a 2 year starter from a major top 10 program can come in, and be overwhelmed, why can't a freshman?
Judging from some of the posts I read, there were a lot of folks that expected her to be a starter by the first of the year. They expected her to make the leap during the first two months, then became impatient when she didn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I must admit I don't expect much from Kyla and Molly, but it is impossible to not like their moxie. UConn needs a good backup rebounder and defender who can be a decent scoring threat. I think Kyla has a knack for scoring and can be a decent rebounder. If she can become a good defender, she can become a contributor. Big IF! With Molly I don't see sufficient athleticism, speed, and quickness. BUT yet Moseley, then CD, then Ralph and finally Geno saw enough to recruit her. She needs to think score much more than she did this past season. The team needs a strong guard defender, be that player. She has brains galore! Figure it out! Apply that brain power in ways to make up for the lack of physical skills. Larry Bird may or may not have been a candidate for an Ivy League university, but he did have a gift for the mental part of basketball which more than made up for his lack of physical gifts (OK, on occasion he could shoot the ball!:rolleyes:). In a lower case manner I think Molly could do the same.

Molly is lost as a creature of her early environment---she is just too nice--and not aggressive enough. In Lower grades and HS she relied on Talent and Intelligence to do what she considered necessary---rebound, assist, shoot at a high percentage--an neat top of key jumper, occasional 3 here and there. Defense was about stopping players equal or less talented than herself. In WCBB--wow it was different. Kyla is Confident, aggressive. Molly (I believe) is more talented and probably intellectually more achieved than Kyla. Without an assertive/aggressive and confident nature--she won't break into much PT. I'd like to see Molly get angry and cuss and spit ---say Geno you are wrong--kiss my bibby (what ever that is) and let fly a few threes, a few of her patented jumpers, and pass only when necessary--make the difference. How many times did Geno sit DT for taking too many shot (that went in--even 14 that didn't)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Rebecca, Sue, Swin, Maya, and a whole lot more have attested that it has always been thus. That's why WNBA coaches to a man and woman say UConn Husky players arrive WNBA ready. It is far more than physical conditioning of course. Husky coaches build Husky players from the ground up in the fundamentals and the esoteric of basketball, and everything in between. The education is priceless. Husky players come in knowing as much as they give they are getting more. They all know that for playing time they have to do it the old fashioned way: They earn it. Sometimes that reveals physical weaknesses; sometimes players break and leave. CD will be fine as soon as she gets it, truly. Or she won't. The pool gets smaller and smaller per CD.

Reaction Score
I don't know why this seems like a surprise to any incoming freshman if they have paid any attention at all to UConn program. Pretty much every single freshman that has come before them have said the same thing.
They may have said the same thing but until they actually experienced Geno's practices they had no idea what they were in for.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I don't know why this seems like a surprise to any incoming freshman if they have paid any attention at all to UConn program. Pretty much every single freshman that has come before them have said the same thing.

Knowing, intellectually, is very different from actually DOING. It's sorta like saying, "this is going to hurt" and you go, "okay" and then "DAMNTHATHURT!!!!!" (especially if you're never really been hurt before)

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I remember her saying that. If a 2 year starter from a major top 10 program can come in, and be overwhelmed, why can't a freshman?
Judging from some of the posts I read, there were a lot of folks that expected her to be a starter by the first of the year. They expected her to make the leap during the first two months, then became impatient when she didn't.

I don't recall reading that she was "overwhelmed." Then again, I don't recall what I had for breakfast.

AS to Crystal Dangerfield, I expected steady growth this past year and upped the ante (I assume many others did too) after the Baylor game. I'm sure the injuries slowed her down but I don't think it's the physical aspects of the game that has slowed her development. Geno has said that she doesn't seem to put the effort into practices and, as we all know, no good practice, little or no court time.

As I posted earlier, unless she ups her game during the offseason and knocks Geno's socks off in practices next season, I can't see her starting, much less seeing significant playing time off the bench.

I hope she "gets it" and goes on to become the next Moriah.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Knowing, intellectually, is very different from actually DOING. It's sorta like saying, "this is going to hurt" and you go, "okay" and then "DAMNTHATHURT!!!!!" (especially if you're never really been hurt before)

There is just one little thing about how right and smart you are about stuff Justin. There is thinking you know how it will cost you and then there is feeling it. This is the truth of how great our young women are. They feel it and push through it. This is the essence of the commitment to being a Husky.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If Dangerfield can ever play at this level, we'll find out next season. I think she can. I guess I'm willing to give her more time to make the sophomore leap than most others. I never expected her to play like anything other than what she was, a freshman. Next season, I expect to see a marked improvement in all areas of her game. I expect her to play like a seasoned sophomore, nothing less.

I agree. I just disagree with those who think honestly assessing her freshman year is somehow a crime.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I worry about AEH. She played with Saniya Chong when Audra was in eighth grade. ( maybe even seventh grade.) She had a great high school career. Now, she appears low man on the totem pole. I don't know how much of a chance she will get.

Reaction Score
I worry about AEH. She played with Saniya Chong when Audra was in eighth grade. ( maybe even seventh grade.) She had a great high school career. Now, she appears low man on the totem pole. I don't know how much of a chance she will get.

She is the longest range shooter that UConn has other than KLS........if she learns to take good shots and can prove she is not a defensive liability she should be fine.........if she just chucks up shots and can't properly defend, she will find herself near the end of the bench............

Reaction Score
I'm confident that Saniya gave her the full scoop on what it's like to play for UCONN. She still decided to face the challenge. Andra is noted as a crafty defensive player. That, coupled with her long range shooting will give her a leg up. Returning to Ossining probably took her out of the public eye to some degree, buthe seems like a confident athlete and I expect her to delight us all.

wally16

Wally16
Reaction Score
I must admit I don't expect much from Kyla and Molly, but it is impossible to not like their moxie. UConn needs a good backup rebounder and defender who can be a decent scoring threat. I think Kyla has a knack for scoring and can be a decent rebounder. If she can become a good defender, she can become a contributor. Big IF! With Molly I don't see sufficient athleticism, speed, and quickness. BUT yet Moseley, then CD, then Ralph and finally Geno saw enough to recruit her. She needs to think score much more than she did this past season. The team needs a strong guard defender, be that player. She has brains galore! Figure it out! Apply that brain power in ways to make up for the lack of physical skills. Larry Bird may or may not have been a candidate for an Ivy League university, but he did have a gift for the mental part of basketball which more than made up for his lack of physical gifts (OK, on occasion he could shoot the ball!:rolleyes:). In a lower case manner I think Molly could do the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom