Starting Quarterback | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Reaction Score
I think our WR pickups were as good as we could have hoped for. Two P4 players who have shown some athleticism and a G5 guy with experience, decent stats on a bad team, and a couple years of eligibility. I hope they make a difference. I think lack of separation was a big issue last year, and I think all 3 of our new additions can achieve it. The P4 games look like Ls, but I'm very cautiously optimistic, and I'm trying to decide which game to drive back to CT to see.
yeah, I think it became convincing that without a world class running back, not having any WR that can get open is just death.

Reaction Score
When you say you like a guy you’ve never seen in action, what you’re saying is he’s gotta be better than what we have. Nothing more.

I simply hope the staff continues to play guys who don’t win the job so the BY can continue its annual tradition.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
If we do what Michigan did to us is probably the only way the true frosh gets a snap or 2...
LOL. Yep. They played like 7-8 QB’s that game. Mora doesn’t do the first series, second quarter sorta thing some schools do, or did. Maybe there is a good reason.

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> "We're blessed to have what we have right now with those guys, and they have experience," UConn first-year offensive coordinator Gordon Sammis said. "I've been places where we went to the first game and all four quarterbacks on the roster hadn't taken a college snap. That was not fun, because you don't know what you're going to get.

"In terms of the two older guys, they are battling. You can kind of see Ta'Quan running a lot better with his knee when he keeps the ball than we have seen him in the past. So from the ACL in 2022 until now you can just see how much better his knee has gotten. Joe is just steady as hell. He is a great quarterback. You know what you're going to get out of Joe every day. He makes the right throw, makes the right decision and he has a lot of command out there."

"Tucker and Cole have really progressed this spring," Sammis said. "Tucker kind of adds a little more of a running element for us that I like and he has really progressed with his reads and stuff like that. Cole has a cannon for an arm and is really advanced in terms of being a thrower which is great to see. He is kind of what you would expect from a guy who played Texas high school football and played for Jason Witten. He learned some high level stuff from him." <-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good to hear Ta'Quan is running better than last year. He didn't look the same as a runner last year as he did before the knee injury.

He literally couldn't outrun the opponent's defensive linemen.

Reaction Score
I guess happy talk is better than "boy we are in trouble at QB". Scheme the whole field, don't give away plays by how team lines up/personnel and use deception (not tricks) and either of the veterans should be better than showed last year. Nice if young guys get some game experience to see what they can do and coach can come up with some packages/plays for some of non starters. QB position takes a beating (at least last few years) so everyone needs to be ready. Want to be one of top two independents in 2024 and need QB's to lead the way.

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> "We're blessed to have what we have right now with those guys, and they have experience," UConn first-year offensive coordinator Gordon Sammis said. "I've been places where we went to the first game and all four quarterbacks on the roster hadn't taken a college snap. That was not fun, because you don't know what you're going to get.

"In terms of the two older guys, they are battling. You can kind of see Ta'Quan running a lot better with his knee when he keeps the ball than we have seen him in the past. So from the ACL in 2022 until now you can just see how much better his knee has gotten. Joe is just steady as hell. He is a great quarterback. You know what you're going to get out of Joe every day. He makes the right throw, makes the right decision and he has a lot of command out there."

"Tucker and Cole have really progressed this spring," Sammis said. "Tucker kind of adds a little more of a running element for us that I like and he has really progressed with his reads and stuff like that. Cole has a cannon for an arm and is really advanced in terms of being a thrower which is great to see. He is kind of what you would expect from a guy who played Texas high school football and played for Jason Witten. He learned some high level stuff from him." <-

Well put. This is the right tone which is all you really want at this stage. I think we have confidence that none of the QB's are Mike Beaudry in disguise. UConn is way past those days now. Study hard, guys.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom