Starters | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starters

Reaction Score
It's the first game. Someone has to start. About the fifth game "starting" will show us who has earned Geno's trust and who is in the best shape physically. From what we have been hearing about Evina's knee, she may start but it doesn't sound like she will be able to go for extended periods of time so someone will be coming off the bench a lot.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why does anyone have to play the 2, 3, or 4? Those are just numbers. I don't expect Anna or Evina to be banging in the post no matter what people may think if they want to call them a "4". Geno is basically playing 1 center and 4 guards.

Each guard has different strengths. Paige is a great passer and scorer. Anna is a great shooter and passer. Both Christyn and Evina are great slashers. I am sure there will be lots of ball movement to try to get UM-L out of position for easy baskets - whether a kick out for a 3, back door cut, or dip in for Olivia.

People sometimes IMHO get too caught up with "well who plays the 3? who plays the 4?". It's irrelevant. Geno and the staff will figure out (in any game we play) the matchups he wants on offense and defense, and how best to exploit the other teams' weaknesses to play to our strengths.

Obviously I am super excited. Those of us who knew Paige was going to be a starter expected this starting lineup. Can't wait to see all 11 getting their time and contributing!!

By the way I am of the opinion that Paige is one of the top 5 PG's in the entire nation. That's why I was so confident she'd be a starter. We get to watch the season unfold and see if I am right or not, but I think we can all agree she's going to be special... :)

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Whether she starts or not Paige didnt come here to sit....and with that said either did Azzi. Something to think about. They will both start sooner then later.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What is a point forward?

Larry-Bird-scaled-e1593485970953-1024x684.jpg

Reaction Score
Why does anyone have to play the 2, 3, or 4? Those are just numbers. I don't expect Anna or Evina to be banging in the post no matter what people may think if they want to call them a "4". Geno is basically playing 1 center and 4 guards.

Each guard has different strengths. Paige is a great passer and scorer. Anna is a great shooter and passer. Both Christyn and Evina are great slashers. I am sure there will be lots of ball movement to try to get UM-L out of position for easy baskets - whether a kick out for a 3, back door cut, or dip in for Olivia.

People sometimes IMHO get too caught up with "well who plays the 3? who plays the 4?". It's irrelevant. Geno and the staff will figure out (in any game we play) the matchups he wants on offense and defense, and how best to exploit the other teams' weaknesses to play to our strengths.

Obviously I am super excited. Those of us who knew Paige was going to be a starter expected this starting lineup. Can't wait to see all 11 getting their time and contributing!!
Exactly!! As the OP I only relayed information, I had seen. I cheer for the team over any specific player.

Couldn't agree more with your opinion about people being too worried about who plays a specific position. The other teams will have to match up with us also.

Reaction Score
"I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here."

You'd think a weapon was pointed towards Griffs heart that Aubrey wasn't named a starter. But then again maybe it's his "least vulnerable spot." :)

Reaction Score

By the way I am of the opinion that Paige is one of the top 5 PG's in the entire nation. That's why I was so confident she'd be a starter. We get to watch the season unfold and see if I am right or not, but I think we can all agree she's going to be special... :)

Not arguing here- especially on offense- but what if one player - AMak or Evina - that is primarily guarding the other team's PF? Wouldn't it be easy for conversation-speak to call that player "the 4" in order to distinguish each player on defense? Calling players 1 through 5 is not all offense. Anyone can say what they want - etc for me if AMak is primarily guarding the other team's PF then I'll call her position "the 4" on defense, and for easy-conversation-speak I'll refer to her as a 4 because that is what she is defending. Not everyone has to agree or call it like that. Just for me it's easy to discuss that way.

Reaction Score
Not arguing here- especially on offense- but what if one player - AMak or Evina - that is primarily guarding the other team's PF? Wouldn't it be easy for conversation-speak to call that player "the 4" in order to distinguish each player on defense? Calling players 1 through 5 is not all offense. Anyone can say what they want - etc for me if AMak is primarily guarding the other team's PF then I'll call her position "the 4" on defense, and for easy-conversation-speak I'll refer to her as a 4 because that is what she is defending. Not everyone has to agree or call it like that. Just for me it's easy to discuss that way.
Maybe its just me but Geno has had the team play a lot of 2-3 zone the past few years.

Reaction Score
Exactly!! As the OP I only relayed information, I had seen. I cheer for the team over any specific player.

Couldn't agree more with your opinion about people being too worried about who plays a specific position. The other teams will have to match up with us also.
This is what Geno has been recruiting for and talking about for years: positionless basketball, and we will be the beneficiaries of this masterpiece unfolding before our very eyes....

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
And it's official. Your first starting lineup of the season: Paige Bueckers, Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook, Anna Makurat, ONO

From Alexa twitter.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And it's official. Your first starting lineup of the season: Paige Bueckers, Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook, Anna Makurat, ONO

From Alexa twitter.

Congrats to everyone that predicted that Paige would start.

Reaction Score

From Alexa twitter.
The beauty of it on the play-by-play radio feed was all 5 were mentioned on the first offensive piece on tip-off...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Congrats to everyone that predicted that Paige would start.

Would have been easier if we heard Geno's quotes about her earlier.

Reaction Score
Looking good so far. Is Aubrey hurt though? Surprised she didn’t play first quarter.

Reaction Score
Mannn, Westbrook would’ve been SO GOOD to have last year — love what I’m seeing from her

But it would’ve been for nothing. As much as her waiver denied was BS... I’m glad it happened

Reaction Score
Nika was first off the bench followed by Edwards. Then Griffin.

Reaction Score
Geno said Aubrey was a lot better than last season. You talk as if you don't believe Geno. Also, UConn has had outstanding teams that did not have five scorers on the floor at the same time and so have other teams. We'll find out soon enough.
I went by what I saw last year and it is a board about our opinions and not whether I believe Geno or not. She was third off the bench. Last years team lacked talent that's why she played alot. She is a great spark off the bench.

Reaction Score
We’ll know more after the games this week. I wasn’t super impressed with any of the lineups. Some good individual stuff though.
I’d like us to favor the speed and athleticism that we have, even if it leaves us short on outside shooting. Needless to say, I love Aubrey and Mir. Evina looked solid but not very explosive. Same for Anna really. I’d like to see Aubrey start over Anna.
Like many of us, I’m worried about Christyn. Is it possible that she’s just not a good shooter. I mean we’re talking serious bricks. Can’t wait until this week

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thinking about it over night, the "STARTERS" for the UMASS Lowell game really doesn't say much, as for the rest of the season. With Paige starting, it gives Geno an opportunity "To See What The Rookie" has, in a game that has ZERO PRESSURE to win (because we all know that UCONN will dominate this game). It also allows Geno to put Evina out on the court to start, given her "Leadership" skills that she obviously has (despite not ever playing a minute for UCONN). As many have said, the Starting Five for the Seton Hall Game (a conference game) may well be MUCH DIFFERENT than the starting 5 for this non-conference/relatively week opening day opponent.
After watching the starting 5 today, I don't see Geno changing it for the Seton Hall game. They were the most productive unit of all the combinations put on the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom