Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Texas went scoreless for a full 6 minutes there..... ouch

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Conradt said Aston's "best recruit" was on the bench with an ankle injury, who??

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Texas hung in with Stanford for a while and then Stanford went on IMHO an Ugly run and took over the game. Texas can't hit the barn door in the 2nd half. Can't see Texas being competitive in the Big 12.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
VanLangen is correct that UT quit going inside and it cost them the game.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Are you kidding me with these announcers???

Is it the Jody Conradt show or are they gonna call the game?????

Very unimressed by the male. He didn't know how to pronounce Ogwumike. No excuse.

I'm not sure what was worse, the announcing or the play by Texas.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
IF Texas can string together 2 halves like the first one they could be a really good team. They have some good talent.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Very unimressed by the male. He didn't know how to pronounce Ogwumike. No excuse.

Even more so bc the family is from TX !! On top of that, he should have already learned the pronunciation while Nneka was playing ...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

I don't feel like Texas has anything to be ashamed of. That announcer , however, did.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to Tara's resume, but Geno's is more impressive.

Well sure, based on National Championships, but if you consider Stanford's tough admissions, Tara has WAY over achieved, and consistently so over the years. If Geno was at Stanford, he'd still win, but not as many NC's, because he wouldn't have had as many good players, namely Taurasi.

you can read a 5 part Q&A series with Tara and Amy on the bootleg (free) about the recruiting process.

http://stanford.scout.com/2/863136.html

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well sure, based on National Championships, but if you consider Stanford's tough admissions, Tara has WAY over achieved, and consistently so over the years. If Geno was at Stanford, he'd still win, but not as many NC's, because he wouldn't have had as many good players, namely Taurasi.

you can read a 5 part Q&A series with Tara and Amy on the bootleg (free) about the recruiting process.

I think the academic piece of the recruiting equation both helps and hurts Stanford. Sure the academic rigor precludes some kids being able to come, but a lot of kids will come in a heartbeat for the chance at a Stanford degree.

Absolutely, Geno would likely have the same limitations, but if he had two Ogwumike sisters on a team, I think he wins a national championship. Eight NCs? Maybe not. More than two? perhaps...

Reaction Score
I think the academic piece of the recruiting equation both helps and hurts Stanford. Sure the academic rigor precludes some kids being able to come, but a lot of kids will come in a heartbeat for the chance at a Stanford degree.

Absolutely, Geno would likely have the same limitations, but if he had two Ogwumike sisters on a team, I think he wins a national championship. Eight NCs? Maybe not. More than two? perhaps...

Sure the lure of Stanford helps, but not everyone who wants to go to Stanford, gets in. Read the Q&A with Tara to get the picture of their smaller pool and the time involved recruiting a student/athlete at Stanford. Stanford could have won with AN O sister (Nneka) in San Antonio had Appel been healthy. We should have won in Indy though, still pissed about that, but it is guard's game in the F4 and NC, we were short of good pgs.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Are you kidding me with these announcers???

Is it the Jody Conradt show or are they gonna call the game?????
Actually, I found the conversation with Jody quite interesting. The game, not as much.

For whatever reason, Jody right now is playing the "respected elder" role, which has at times been assumed by Marsha Sharp and Sonja Hogg; it must be a Texas thing. Oh, and Billie Moore, who is not from Texas so far as I know.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Thanks for posting that - I have always felt that Stanford men's teams are the most disadvantaged because HS men have been underperforming women for a long time academically and while I haven't see a study I believe among athletes the numbers much be even more skewed. I am impressed with the general level of academic achievement of women college athletes and on WCBB teams in particular - they do have the advantage of not being tempted to leave early as the rules don't permit it in many women's pro sport leagues and the financial incentive is so much smaller.
I agree that there are a number of players that are off the table for Tara and that the admissions process is much more complicated at Stanford but I also think the allure of Stanford academically is a heck of a carrot in her recruiting tool bag. I disagree with the distance issue in regard to national powers - looking at the current Uconn recruits with the exception of Edwards visitations for player and coach are not easy - the power teams are all recruiting nationally and all have really good regional talent pools where presumably they have an advantage.
On the actual recruiting pool - I think there are teams that try to recruit 20+ players but certainly at Uconn and I suspect at a few other places the initial recruit pool (after the evaluation process) is typically under ten and often around five.
It has to be hard as a coach to look at a highly talented motivated kid and realize you can't recruit her because of academics, but I think the number of those 'highly motivated' athletes that are also NOT highly motivated academically is smaller than we suppose. And I think a lot of recruiters experience the same for reasons beyond academics - examples ... Griner and Parker basically hung out 'don't both' signs as they decided very early where they wanted to go - not unlike NO/CO and the first two Samuelson sisters did with Stanford. (Yes we got a visit and a look-in but they were hail mary's)

Reaction Score
Sure the lure of Stanford helps, but not everyone who wants to go to Stanford, gets in. Read the Q&A with Tara to get the picture of their smaller pool and the time involved recruiting a student/athlete at Stanford. Stanford could have won with AN O sister (Nneka) in San Antonio had Appel been healthy. We should have won in Indy though, still pissed about that, but it is guard's game in the F4 and NC, we were short of good pgs.
I think they should have won anyway. That loss is purely on Tara. Playing a crippled Appel hurt the team, they were doing much better and had built their lead with her on the bench but for some reason Tara chose to play her anyway. It was with Appel on the floor that Uconn made its's runs. Appel clearly was not capable of the performance she had in the previous game. She left if all on the floor and that game aggravated her injury and she couldn't get any elevation and missed a lot of bunnies against Uconn. Her depleted lack of mobility hurt the team defensively also. Tara should have seen that and pulled her out long before she finally did. It was so obvious. It was like her brain switched off.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Agree, and it also hurt her recovery and subsequent time in the WNBA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom