Stanford game thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Stanford game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sounds like they won't do a full exam until tomorrow on the arm/elbow. Not unusual when there's that much swelling.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
All we can do for KML is hope and pray it's nothing serious. Bittersweet indeed. I'm sure the team was shocked as well, but the game must go on, and I'm very proud that the team did not fall apart after KML's screams and injury. I bet clearly they were stunned, but glad they played through.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Stewart is not impressing me tonight. Hope she figures it out

Relax.....after the Final Four last season and Gold this summer, we can conclude she knows how to play her brand of basketball and doesn't need to "figure it out." She had an off night shooting and got two early fouls. No big deal. Enjoy Kia's double double and Tuck's effort and Saniya's calm, cool play. And the return of "old" Bria..!!!

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...think I would give Kiah the game ball but Bria was outstanding.
Sounds good Mike; I have to agree both really came through when the team needed it! How 'bout...
Game Ball to Kiah!
Game Ax to Bria!
So long, Stanford!
treefall 4.jpg

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
On a positive note, the team beat Stanford with their leading scorer out and their Final Four MOP on the bench for most of the game. This is what early season games are for. Bria looks like she's on a mission to prove that last season was just a fluke. If we get half that output from Stokes every game we'll be in good shape. Saniya came in and hit two straight threes when no one else could find the basket.

We're fine. Hopefully KML's injury was more painful than it is serious, and she will be able to rehab it quickly.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I nominate Kiah Stokes as player of the game. Do I have a second?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I vote for co-MVP with Bria - they both played brilliantly. So nice to see Kiah with that grin and so great to see Bria play a game like her sophomore year especially when the team needed that lift!
And one thing I noticed especially with Stewie but also with others - the passes to the shooter were just not right - Stewie was constantly reaching either down or to the side for the ball, throwing her off balance and messing up the 'catch and shoot' motion. That was partly the Stanford defense, but also just being a tiny bit out of synch on offense for Uconn.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Less concern about Stewie as the two quick fouls took her out of her game. She played hesitantly for most of the game afraid to pick up another foul. Kiah played a monster game and with Bria's help prevented Stanford from making any serious comeback after KML's injury. Also team defense played a huge role as well. Good Win with great margin of victory. Especially considering KML's injury.

Reaction Score
Did anyone other than me think that was a dirty play? I thought KML may have been undercut purposely.

No, you are likely the only one
It was a post right after it occured which I recanted later. Your idiotic point in bringing it up now is...

I'm just now reading through the thread.

Reaction Score
Do you remember that game - i think it was vs. Tennessee - where Crockett played out of her mind. So strong, all over the place, and I thinks he dove for a loose ball at the end - just a great and strong effort on her part.

I'm thinking Duke, but you are probably right. She had a knack for showing up big in big games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was a post right after it occured which I recanted later. Your idiotic point in bringing it up now is...

To further clarify: My response to your post came immediately after reading it on Page 6(??) and was more of a challenge to myself and to the Boneyard. Anyone that spends enough time here is well aware that I am often at odds with/and often differ in my opinions with the Boneyard consensus. However, I was convinced that the consensus would view the play/Chiney as I did. So, after posting my response, I continued reading through the thread to learn, happily, that I was not wrong about The Boneyard.

4UConn, I will, in turn, own up to being an idiot if you would kindly point me to the post in which you recanted your view about the play being a dirty intentional undercut.

Reaction Score
Room for a couple PoGs:

Bria Hartley really excelled tonight at a level of play we have seen her demonstrate before, but not since her second year at Uconn - for which she deserves PoG.

Kiah excelled tonight at a level of play we (and Geno - see his quotes) have hoped in our dreams she would achieve, and Geno said he was not sure we would have won the game without her - for which she deserves PoG. The crowd where I was sitting went wild with excitement as Kiah fulfilled our hopes and dreams in what was almost a miraculous transformation. Kind of like - pinch me, did that really happen. Greg Stokes must have a huge grin on his face tonight

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Room for a couple PoGs:

Bria Hartley really excelled tonight at a level of play we have seen her demonstrate before, but not since her second year at Uconn - for which she deserves PoG.

Kiah excelled tonight at a level of play we (and Geno - see his quotes) have hoped in our dreams she would achieve, and Geno said he was not sure we would have won the game without her - for which she deserves PoG. The crowd where I was sitting went wild with excitement as Kiah fulfilled our hopes and dreams in what was almost a miraculous transformation. Kind of like - pinch me, did that really happen. Greg Stokes must have a huge grin on his face tonight...d

+1 !!!

Reaction Score
Figured since any actual criticism on this board is usually misinterpreted haha.

But what happens if someone like me doesn't agree with your entire context? Am I then labelled as being too harsh on you? Chong over Jefferson becuase of this 1 game?

As for Stewie- I think she'll be up there among the top ten players in wcbb. You disagree?

Reaction Score
But what happens if someone like me doesn't agree with your entire context? Am I then labelled as being too harsh on you? Chong over Jefferson becuase of this 1 game?

As for Stewie- I think she'll be up there among the top ten players in wcbb. You disagree?

Our best lineup at that point in the thread was to go with Chong because she was opening up the floor and creating room for the post. If KML is out for an extended period, defenses may use the approach to pay no attention to MO. Unless she hits the shot, I fear Chong may be the option as long as she is hitting shots.

Stewie, she will be in the top 10 at uconn, but at this point in her career, I still can't make that claim based on her entire body of work. Looking at the final four last year, she is the best player to ever suit up at uconn. Looking at her entire 40-41 games at uconn, I can't make the same claim. I understand foul trouble held her back, but great players don't make those silly mistakes in big games. I'm sure come march she will be AA, but at this point in her career, I think she isn't quite there.

Reaction Score
Our best lineup at that point in the thread was to go with Chong because she was opening up the floor and creating room for the post. If KML is out for an extended period, defenses may use the approach to pay no attention to MO. Unless she hits the shot, I fear Chong may be the option as long as she is hitting shots.

Stewie, she will be in the top 10 at uconn, but at this point in her career, I still can't make that claim based on her entire body of work. Looking at the final four last year, she is the best player to ever suit up at uconn. Looking at her entire 40-41 games at uconn, I can't make the same claim. I understand foul trouble held her back, but great players don't make those silly mistakes in big games. I'm sure come march she will be AA, but at this point in her career, I think she isn't quite there.

I agree "at that point" Chong was playing better. You can do the "Jim Calhoun thing" with a quick hook. But when is your quick hook with Chong? After she hit her 1st two shots she missed her next 3. After MoJeffs's 0-4 - the 1st 4 minutes - she then went 1-3. After those 2 hits from Chong what else did she hit? MoJeff imo is superior in all facets other than shooting. So you play Chong more because of her shooting- that's the only criteria for pt from a guard? IMO if MoJeff can hit wide open shots vs. Htdfd then she has a super chance to hit wide open shots vs. Stanford because Stanford refused to even go out on her. She could have tied her shoe then taken a shot vs. Stanford. IMO she'll learn. She deserves that right to learn while playing quite a bit as a champion.

As far as Stewie I disagree with your context. To me it is irrelevant (provided Lewis comes back) whether she is 3rd best player in wcbb or 7th etc. I just see a super player. . Last year she couldn't low post, get fouled and finish if her life depended on it unless it was vs. a h/s quality team. Now she does it vs Ogwumike. She rebounds in traffic. Last year a little bump and a good chance the ball would fly out of her hands. For her size she can put the ball on the floor and remain under control so much so she can even pass after taking hard dribbles to the basket. That is special for a girl her size with the shot she has along with her athleticsim. All this has to be accounted for from the oppsing team in terms of preparation. Her shot last year looked "desperate." The shots she was taking vs. Stanford were that of complete ease. She missed. She is human. But she can get her shots with ease. Lewis can't. Dolson can, but Dolson can't put the ball on the floor with a certain quickness/speed like Stewie can.

I was/am a fan of Tina Charles. The moment I saw her, I said to friends "no more" taking crap on a consistent basis in the paint. No more getting pushed around as if we're a puppy instead of a big dog. While Tina did get her clock cleaned a bit but we were no longer sacrficial lambs inside on a regular basis like we were before she came either. With Stewie, she'll have games she can't hit. But in general you'll see no more average to slightly below push her around. She just looks stronger. Her shot she'll continue to get off with ease. No more being scared to shoot. Again- she's human. These are general comments. Anyhow, until I see someone bother her shot, I just believe she'll improve exponentially. Which is why imo she deserves the mega accolades she has recieved.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hoophuskee - nice post and I agree. I think we all over react at the beginning of seasons based on performance in the last game and over a very small sample size. As the season moves forward we at least have a larger sample size to get freaked about and of course we will continue to over react to the last game.
Case in point - Kiah is now the answer off the bench after one really impressive game ... I truly hope she is able to sustain, but I also expect her to have some clunker games in the mix this year. The one positive I see is that she does seem to look comfortable on offense even when not putting up numbers which I never felt she was in the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom