Spring Game Second Impressions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Spring Game Second Impressions

Reaction Score
Tailgate question. Other than charcoal grills being banned, is there any other rule(s) I need to know before I buy a grill for tailgating?

Grill recommendations also welcomed. Thx!

Reaction Score
My second impression besides the crisp pace was our receivers made some nice catches out there.

True dat Waquoit--and as a self-confessed wordy guy, I'm always impressed by your succintness. :)

Reaction Score

Shirreffs, Nate Hopkins and Foley Fatukasi weigh in

While they still have much to prove, from a talent/ability to compete standpoint, UConn never has to worry about the image the kids portray through the media. Sometimes, interviews of college players leave me uncomfortable, embarrassed and feeling that the institution's President has just put a hand gun in his mouth.

The three young men in the above video and those in other recent videos, provide impressive examples of kids who actually belong at a top-twenty public research university.

Now, if they can just win some games.

Reaction Score
Did the Juco QB that we brought in this off season play in the game, or does he arrive in August? How about Williams, How did he look?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The JUCO QB is still in JUCO and Williams is hurt.

Reaction Score
Couldn't help but smile watching BS's interview. Happy to see him having fun again, it's clear he's been through hell and back the last couple years.
You forget sometimes what a bunch of good kids we have. Really enjoyed the interviews. Very articulate and thoughtful responses. Always something to be proud of.

Reaction Score
Tailgate question. Other than charcoal grills being banned, is there any other rule(s) I need to know before I buy a grill for tailgating?

Be sure to get a grill with gives you a lot of heat and the flames are protected from the wind. During the cold months the grills tend to cook much more slowly if you don't have enough heat.

Reaction Score
Be sure to get a grill with gives you a lot of heat and the flames are protected from the wind. During the cold months the grills tend to cook much more slowly if you don't have enough heat.

I have used a Coleman Roadtrip grill for 10 years. It has worked best when you cook directly on the griddle and grill. The only drawback is the grill owner has the cleanup at home. A 1" wide putty knife is best to scrape the drip tray under the burners. It works ok with fry pans and pots although the grill lid won't close over these items. We did large pots of Chowder in Dec. with no problems. You can buy a hose so you can hook up to a regular grill propane tank, the small green canisters usually lasted 2 or 3 games. It took care of our group which ranged from 4-7 people. Once set up it was ready to cook on in 4 minutes or so. They come in colors, I was given a blue one by a friend who went to Michigan and could not have a full size grill on the balcony of his apt bld.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Friday might not have been bad choice from recruiting perspective. Reading today that BC, Rutgers and Syracuse all had spring games on this Saturday and no thanks to ESPN constant promotion of P5 conferences, we are less attractive than those schools to many recruits due to our conference. Can only be at one place at a time and having it on Friday recruits could go to our spring game Friday and then BC or perhaps Rutgers on Saturday so we probably were able to get more of our top target recruits at our spring game on Friday than if we had it on Saturday.

This is the best reason I've heard for having the spring game on a Friday night. It makes sense.

Reaction Score
I have used a Coleman Roadtrip grill for 10 years. It has worked best when you cook directly on the griddle and grill. The only drawback is the grill owner has the cleanup at home. A 1" wide putty knife is best to scrape the drip tray under the burners. It works ok with fry pans and pots although the grill lid won't close over these items. We did large pots of Chowder in Dec. with no problems. You can buy a hose so you can hook up to a regular grill propane tank, the small green canisters usually lasted 2 or 3 games. It took care of our group which ranged from 4-7 people. Once set up it was ready to cook on in 4 minutes or so. They come in colors, I was given a blue one by a friend who went to Michigan and could not have a full size grill on the balcony of his apt bld.

Scrape the drip tray? Coward. You just keep using it until a grease fire starts in the parking lot and burns up the grill and then you buy another. Not that that happened to me.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Recommended brands:
Coleman - 2 and 3 burner, about 3,000 to 5, 000 BTU's per burner. Good stove but watch out for the brass hose fittings. They can strip easily. Most can be converted from the 1 pound bottle to the 20 pound tank. Stove stnd is extra but worth it.

Primus camp stoves - similar to Coleman's.

Camp Chef - similar to the Coleman's, 2 and 3 burner models. 3,000 to 5,000 BTU's per burner. Much better quality than Coleman. Can be coverted from from 1 pound bottle to tank.

Upscale stoves:
Camp Chef 2 and 3 burner Pro series. 20 pound tank only. Many accessories available. Can cook major meals all day. Burners are 30,000 BTU's each.

Your best bet is to go to Cabela's - right next to the Rent. All these stoves are available. Hit it right and you get a pretty good deal.

My recommendation - get the Camp Chef Pro series. Worth the price - about $200.00. And yes I've owned one for several years and has absolutley no problems.

Reaction Score
I have a George Forman travel grill. I don't think they make em anymore but it is great. Has a griddle section which is great foe eggs pancakes or French toast for 11:11 am starts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
s-l300.jpg

Remember this bad boy?

I still have the full set. It's approaching 14 years old and I use the cooler far more than the grill at this point (recently purchased a Weber Q-1200), but it still works. I see a few around the blue lot, but not as many. This thing got us through Hurricane Irene with minimal protein spoilage. We literally tailgated in the driveway until the power was restored.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
s-l300.jpg

Remember this bad boy?

I still have the full set. It's approaching 14 years old and I use the cooler far more than the grill at this point (recently purchased a Weber Q-1200), but it still works. I see a few around the blue lot, but not as many. This thing got us through Hurricane Irene with minimal protein spoilage. We literally tailgated in the driveway until the power was restored.

Loved mine too!

I did have trouble closing it after our tailgate one game... I was really enjoying Guinness but couldn't find the last of a 'few' that I had been working on. I proceeded to compress it between the grill and cooler. Guinness from a pony can still tastes fine!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom