Sox get three pitchers | The Boneyard

Sox get three pitchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Red Sox trade (Webster, De la Rosa) with Arizona for Wade Miley, trade Cespedes for Rick Porcello and sign Justin Masterson. Rumors unconfirmed that they may use Masterson in the Bullpen, and as backup starter for Buchholz's inevitable injury. Pretty big day, with a couple of solid #3 type starters, with Miley being more a #2 before last season.

Reaction Score
Red Sox trade (Webster, De la Rosa) with Arizona for Wade Miley, trade Cespedes for Rick Porcello and sign Justin Masterson. Rumors unconfirmed that they may use Masterson in the Bullpen, and as backup starter for Buchholz's inevitable injury. Pretty big day, with a couple of solid #3 type starters, with Miley being more a #2 before last season.
All good signings but maybe none who would be likely starters in post season. The Sox desperately need a #1 starter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All good signings but maybe none who would be likely starters in post season. The Sox desperately need a #1 starter.

Miley and Porcello would both be top 3 for many teams. Miley was an all star a couple years ago, he just had a bad year last year (as Lester did a few years ago). I think he's a solid #2 starter if he returns to form. Porcello is only 25, and is improving. He can get better and is a #3 if he pitches like last year, a #4 if he reverts to prior form.

Reaction Score
Miley and Porcello would both be top 3 for many teams. Miley was an all star a couple years ago, he just had a bad year last year (as Lester did a few years ago). I think he's a solid #2 starter if he returns to form. Porcello is only 25, and is improving. He can get better and is a #3 if he pitches like last year, a #4 if he reverts to prior form.
The Sox are #3 in payroll with no real #1 or 2 starter. Maybe these guys can come through and if they do the Sox could win about 85 games and possibly make the playoffs. Then what? This is not a World Series rotation.

Reaction Score
Miley is not a top 3.....declining ERA, decent but 4 or 5 for solid teams. Don't think I would have given Del la Rosa up for him. Masterson, which one you going to get and will he be healthy. Good signing though!

Like Porcello. Solid arm still young and had a good year last year. He did start out like 12-4 and faded though so wonder about his longest inning year? Still I like him a lot.

Reaction Score
I hate, hate, hate the Miley deal. Hate it. Did I mention I hate it? I guess he eats innings, but his stuff does not impress . . . . Not worth Webster and De la Rosa.

Fine trading Cespedes for Porcello. Each of them only have one year left, and I don't think Porcello has hit his ceiling yet.

Reaction Score
The Sox are #3 in payroll with no real #1 or 2 starter. Maybe these guys can come through and if they do the Sox could win about 85 games and possibly make the playoffs. Then what? This is not a World Series rotation.
Things seem to be changing a bit. I probably agree with you but #1 starter doesn't necessarily put you in the World Series. To wit, the Kansas City Royals. The Tigers, with three # 1's, ended up watching the Series. Some solid starters and a great bull pen can get you there too.

Reaction Score
I hate, hate, hate the Miley deal. Hate it. Did I mention I hate it? I guess he eats innings, but his stuff does not impress . . . . Not worth Webster and De la Rosa.
I think you're being too pessimistic on Miley and too Rosey on RDLR and deer-in-headlights Webster.
I liked Rubby but believe it or not he's only about 2 years younger than Miley and despite his impressive "stuff", his K/9 rate was 6.5 while Miley's was 8.1. Yes Miley faced the pitcher, so let's call it a draw.

If you believe in the advanced pitching stats, Miley's xFIP has gone from 3.75 to 3.77 to last year's 3.50, which was 31st in MLB, falling in between Mike Leake and Hideki Kuroda. His GB rate was 17th in MLB. So the Sox are thinking if they put this guy in an infield with Napoli, Pedroia, Panda and X (gulp), that he will be a #3 pitcher, who can give you 200 IPs. Only 35 pitchers threw 200 IP's last year and Miley's been doing it 3 years in a row.

Reaction Score
As for the Masterson deal, I'm not so hot on it for 10 mil, but I do get the upside part of it if he really had a knee issue that will be cleared up. His GB% was insane and between Miley, Porcello and Masterson they clearly are trying to load on GB pitchers to go with a strong infield defense.

The weak link in the infield defensively is Bogaerts although with Masterson and Porcello being righties, you would think it's Napoli and Pedroia who are more important defensively than X.

I still wouldn't be shocked if they make a trade for a top pitcher between now and April.

Reaction Score
Things seem to be changing a bit. I probably agree with you but #1 starter doesn't necessarily put you in the World Series. To wit, the Kansas City Royals. The Tigers, with three # 1's, ended up watching the Series. Some solid starters and a great bull pen can get you there too.

The more I watch it....the more I realize the "luck" of just being hot in October and getting on a roll and getting the big hit in those games....just get in the playoffs and ANYTHING can happen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hate to give Lupica credit but he says the Sox now have a bunch of #3 starters. Doesn't simple math say having a 3 in the 5 slot cancels out having a 3 in the 1 slot?

But the Sox will have a #1 starter on Opening Day. My man Clay!

Reaction Score
I hate to give Lupica credit but he says the Sox now have a bunch of #3 starters. Doesn't simple math say having a 3 in the 5 slot cancels out having a 3 in the 1 slot?

Is that sarcastic, I mean being happy Buccy is your #1? If it's not what are you drinking I need to get to the packy! :D

Reaction Score

Clay Buchholtz has been one of the most inconsistent starters in Sox history. Oddly, I don't think we can count on him being a #3 starter. He will be a #1 or have a horrendous year or get injured. Who knows? There are a couple of pitchers who could end up being top of the rotation pitchers. Wiley, Porcello and Masterson have a shot. They also have some very good pitchers down on the farm in Ranaudo, Owens, Johnson, Barnes and Rodriquez who will likely contribute in 2015 unless they are traded. We don't have Lester but the cupboard is not bare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom