South Carolina: "Rotation For Next Year Could Be Deadly" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina: "Rotation For Next Year Could Be Deadly"

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure why there would be a big reliance on freshmen when it appears that the Canadian guard Shay Colley is the only one for a the G- still big roster.

Many of the same questions for next year's team are the same as for this year, since with an average of less than 5 made 3-pters a game is something that opponents can take advantage of. Colley seems to be a brick from the perimeter if her Team Canada stats are an indication, so she won't help much there. Mitchell and Sessions share the PG\assists duties, but Sessions is a poor shooter that teams can lay off of. Cuevas may grow into the role, but she has not shown herself a threat at making any kind of baskets at this point.

Remember Nurse's shooting stats from her Team Canada days weren't that great either and she shot the ball pretty well as a freshman.

Colley is actually 6 weeks older than Kia Nurse and apparently ranked higher than Nurse by some services. I guess Canada Basketball saw things differently as one played for the U18 team and the other played for the senior national team.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
LMAO! Mitchell, Wilson, and Coates all averaged over 10.0 ppg this past season. Wow.....

I guess I screwed up. Silly me. Mitchell is still there. So you have 3 people barely above 10 and next year they will average between them.. come on take a guess ... when they have some one other than some offense challenged SEC team...

LMOA indeed , yeah, that is hot. Sorry, but you need more than that to get down and ugly saying you have 60 points out of that. But love that you can come in here and feel to get ugly and turn 10 into 20. Sure, if you invent stats then there is a lot of chatter about what is NOT. Fictionally yours....

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
SC will be real good. They also have a game in TBA. That and the game at home vs UConn. Will tell us how good they are.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
:eek:
USC will only have one (1) freshman on it's roster next season (unless Staley somehow still finds more prospects to bring in), and that one is higher rated by Canadian prospect services than they rated Kia Nurse in last year's class, and will be a 20-yr old true freshman and former team captain of her nationals team.

Out of the Final Four teams in this year's tournament, USC was the only one that had never been there before: each of the other 3 were there the previous season. But USC had a higher shooting % than the other 3. In the ND game, USC was the stronger team down the stretch thanks largely to a true freshman on it's team that was playing pretty unstoppable. Got 2 Irish players to foul out trying to stop her, including their own heralded true freshman who many have stated they thought she was the better prospect but didn't play the better game in this head-to-head matchup. ND advanced to the championship game NOT because it had "true warriors" on it's team, but because USC - who outplayed ND in the 2nd half - missed the final shot to win the game. But it was a learning experience for USC.

Next season USC could have 3 players who each average around 15-20 ppg, plus several others (White, Cuevas, Imovbioh, perhaps Duckett) who should contend towards dbl-digits per gm. Staley has had to develop 3* talent in her earlier years at USC, and she has done an outstanding job of it, turning those teams into NCAAT sweet-sixteen teams (her first one at USC only had 2 4* or higher rated players on it in Welch and PG Ieasia Walker). Now she'll field a team next season with 4* Mitchell, 4* Coates, 5* Wilson, 4* Sessions, 5* Cuevas, 5* White, 4* Dozier, 5* Duckett, 4* Imovbioh, 4* Cliney, etc. And this team now has Final Four experience....

Whew. I'm seeing stars...:eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
???

I'm talking about TOTAL shots taken from the field, per game:

Sav. State: 34-53 (64.2%)
Syracuse: 32-58 (55.2%)
UNC: 20-46 (43.5%)
FSU: 30-49 (61.2%)
Notre Dame: 28-65 (43.1%)

TOTAL: 144-271 (53.1%)

USC was 22-63 (34.9%) in the tournament from behind the arc, making them 122-208, or 58.5%, from inside it.

I have no earthly idea what you are referring to. I got my numbers from each program's official stats.....

Still not sure where you get that as the best NCAA tournament FG PCT of the F4 teams, as UCONN was:

St. Francis Brooklyn 40-57 (70.2%)
Rutgers 32-66 (48.5%)
Texas 39-70 (55.7%)
Dayton 34-69 (59.3%)
Maryland 29-54 (53.7%)

TOTAL: 174-316 (55.1%)

Of course, I withheld the title game against ND because you can only compare 4 teams that have played an equal number of games (i.e. 5).

Reaction Score
LOL of course you did. I didn't add or omit anything to make my comparison better. Why don't you figure something out to give reason for omitting the Rutgers game, while you're at it. LOL....

You read what I posted, then massage the numbers to suit you, and yet you say you STILL aren't sure where I got my stats from, after you re-arrange those same stats for yourself? HAHA, this board is something else.....

Nice to see you posting again CLE802A. I guess you've gotten over the February spanking in Storrs.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
LOL of course you did. I didn't add or omit anything to make my comparison better. Why don't you figure something out to give reason for omitting the Rutgers game, while you're at it. LOL....

You read what I posted, then massage the numbers to suit you, and yet you say you STILL aren't sure where I got my stats from, after you re-arrange those same stats for yourself? HAHA, this board is something else.....

That's the second time today you've questioned this board. You know, you can always pretend it's Feb 9, 2015 again and vanish for a while. February 9 can be your groundhog day. Rewatch the UConn v South Carolina game and then stay away for 6 weeks and come back and maybe the posters here will stop annoying you.

Here's a link to the game: http://uconnhuskygames.com/2014-2015-womens-basketball-game-replays/

Reaction Score

Wait, what? I didn't omit anything. You want me to average the FG% for UCONN for 6 games and then compare it to the FG% for SC for 5 games? How does that make sense?

If you had made to the NC game, then we could average both FG%'s for 6 games, but of course you didn't.

As far as your stats go, I never said I wasn't sure where you got them from, and they are correct. Never questioned that...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
???

I'm talking about TOTAL shots taken from the field, per game:

Sav. State: 34-53 (64.2%)
Syracuse: 32-58 (55.2%)
UNC: 20-46 (43.5%)
FSU: 30-49 (61.2%)
Notre Dame: 28-65 (43.1%)

TOTAL: 144-271 (53.1%)

USC was 22-63 (34.9%) in the tournament from behind the arc, making them 122-208, or 58.5%, from inside it.

I have no earthly idea what you are referring to. I got my numbers from each program's official stats.....
Got it, my mistake. You are talking about how the 4 Final Four teams shot during the 2015 NCAA tournament. Your statement then is correct but still like to point out that the game you won by 2 Point UNC you shot 43.% and the and the game you lost you also shot 43% I'm still not buying South Carolina as a good shooting team. Foul shooting should also figure into to your shooting status because that is what kept you out of the championship game.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Yeah, this board is Not CockyTalk where numbers get arranged to make USCar the top shooting team. True, mind-reading abilities from poorly worded statements are apparently not at their best in this thread, but you really shouldn't get things bunched up and all huffy because BYers don't understand your number machinations.

1. So you really think that a statement like "But USC had a higher shooting % than the other 3" of the FF teams would not naturally make everyone think of the whole season rather than your variable amount of Tourney games? Wow, would be interesting to put that statement to the test and see how most readers would interpret it. And you have nothing to be ashamed about with the G-C-ock season's shooting since they were 4th in the nation behind UConn, ND, and Princeton. But yes, most readers (at least on the highly prejudiced BY, which really is "something else") would indeed interpret that statement in a different way, and they would say USCar was the 3rd best shooting team among the FF squads. No big bad one.

2. So then you hop from there to be all petulant at a poster who nails you on the question of the different number of games that the FF teams played in the Tourney. The fact that Minnesota had the 3rd best shooting performance for the Tourney based on 1 game compared to ND being sunk down at 13th best after playing 6 games would be all equal to you? And of the FF teams, two of them had games against the best defense in WCBB, while USCar got to avoid that fate by wandering around and missing its last shot. In answer to nd2tty's question to you on this point, why not tell him what you think that USCar's FG% for the Tourney would have been like if they instead had had to play that last NC game where ND shot 33%? Might have been something similar, since USCar shot only 39% against UConn in the regular season game and the Huskies were definitely tightening up the screws on the vice at NC time.

3. Here's my own totally biased suggestion for viewing the FF team stats, which I know you will reject as poppy-c-ocky. Throw out those first two home games for all the FF teams where the scores kind of got a bit bloated and look at games 3, 4, and 5 played on neutral sites and that all the FF teams played, making the earlier demises of USCar and MD less of an issue. In those three games (with FF rankings in parentheses, UConn shot 52.8% (1) overall and 40% (2) on 3s, USCar shot 48.8% overall (2) and 33.3% on 3s (4), ND shot 45.8% overall (3) and 52.3% on 3s (1), and MD shot 41.5% overall (4) and 36.0% on 3s (3). This again is just my own totally biased view of FF team performance, but it is based on an equal number of games, though only MD had to go up against the nation's top defense, so their numbers are very depressed over normal. ND did shoot the best from 3-pt range, but they took by far the fewest attempts at only 21 compared to UConn's high of 75. The G-C-ocks perimeter shooting was not a help in those games and was a giant factor in why they didn't get to see the NC game after going 2-12 against ND.

4. Of course a team can be the better team down the stretch and have an unstoppable player, but the "Tough Toenails" response always is, "But the team lost." Who ever really cares about the shorter stretches of a game when a team loses?Baylor obliterated Louisville in the final 10 minutes of the Tourney game in 2013, but who cares? They lost. Did it help their prospects for the next season? Maybe, since Sims was doing most of the damage during that game's run, and she did run the show for them the next year. But all anyone remembers now is that the Bears lost and that Cards supposedly had 5 players gnawing on various parts of Griner in an unsportsmanlike way. Whatever.

But again, unlike the learned posters from all the boards down South, I am certainly no expert on anything WCBB, so please just ignore all the numbers you don't like.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Again, I posted nothing negative about Connecticut or any other team for that matter - I posted in a thread about USC, and my comments - which are factual - were attacked:

I was responding to the poster named Bigpetunia (I quoted his/her post in my responding post), who questioned USC's ability to "win in the big contests when the stage is biggest and the lights are brightest."...and if USC were "true warriors" as Notre Dame was, even though USC only lost to ND by one single point when they (USC) had the final shot to win the game, but missed it. That typically is not an indication for rational people of a lack of playing well in big games or not being true warriors: it's actually more indicative of a damn pretty even matchup between 2 teams where one had to win and one had to lose. I made the comparison between the final four teams and the FG%, regardless of whther they played 5 or 6 games. I also included MD who played 5 gms in the mix. So whether USC was 1st out of the four or 2nd to only CT in FG%, it doesn;t disprove my point in response that USC isn't a team that wilted under the program-first advancement to a NCAAT Final Four, but rather it stepped up and met the challenge. Again, it wasn't a negative towards CT, it was about USC, but of course CT posters here get all sensitive and butthurt about anyone implying that another team can be better at anything that CT is, and they all came storming in with pitchforks raised. To my point, what does it matter?

Again.....it was the Final Four. It was in response to the question about USC playing in big games with the brightest lights. I'm sure there were other teams in the NCAAT who fell out earlier but who perhaps had even better FG% than USC. But that wasn't my point, and it wasn't Bigpetunia's point either, that I was responding to. A 1st rd or 2nd rd game can't be considered as bigtime as a Final Four game, can it?

And no, I didn't "bop" from there to nd2tty's post. I bopped from the 5-6 previous posts from posters trying desperately to twist my initial post, and to argue inaccurate stats and info against my comments. nd2tty's post was rightfully only seen by me as the next in a long line of pointless responses that had little to do with my post, and this thread's primary topic. So of course I was frustrated by the unnecessary pattern of responses.

Irregardless of anything Connecticut in a USC thread....(sigh).....my point again was not to make everything about CT (If I am not mistaken, Bigpetunia is not a CT fan, but a Notre Dame fan?). This place has all of you to do that. Yes, MD had a low FG% against CT - they had a lower one versus Tennessee a round earlier. But this thread isn't about Tennessee is it, it's about Connecticut. Oh wait....:rolleyes:

Every basketball game has a loser. Losing a basketball game doesn't necessarily have to mean the team that lost hasn't the ability to win those games in the future, or that one game can tag and label a program. That's what Bigpetunia was implying. Even the posters here proclaimed that the loss to Stanford would be the catalyst for CT to win it all in the end. But losing by 1 pt to ND and having either the best or 2nd-best FG% (doesn't matter) of the 4 Final Four participants isn't supposed to mean that USC can improve from their performance this season? Of course I will continue to be attacked here as it's the very obvious nature of this board, but I still say bull...
Fair enough. There does appear to be a lot of twists and turns in this thread with some perhaps slicing and dicing of words in ways maybe not meant by a poster. As said though, I certainly also went "Huh" when I saw the original FF shooting percentage, and I do think we should try to keep number comparisons on as equal a basis as possible, though we know that with everyone playing different schedules, nothing is ever totally equal, unlike say with golfers who at least play the same course during an event but with sometimes changing weather conditions.

Although the "we learned a lesson today" summary by a coach after a loss has come in for a lot of ribbing lately, it seems obvious that there are a lot of points that Staley and the G-C-ocks could take from their last game -- about both good and bad things -- that could be very useful in the coming year, and you have mentioned a lot of them. Clearly, getting some flexible options drawn up for a last-seconds play will be something she might work on more this year. I expect improvement overall for USCar next year due to maturity and FF experience though it could still translate into a slightly worse record due to changes on the schedule. I have been so informed though that everything is unpredictable.

Reaction Score
I was responding to the poster named Bigpetunia (I quoted his/her post in my responding post), who questioned USC's ability to "win in the big contests when the stage is biggest and the lights are brightest."...and if USC were "true warriors" as Notre Dame was, even though USC only lost to ND by one single point when they (USC) had the final shot to win the game, but missed it. So whether USC was 1st out of the four or 2nd to only CT in FG%, it doesn;t disprove my point in response that USC isn't a team that wilted under the program-first advancement to a NCAAT Final Four, but rather it stepped up and met the challenge.

And no, I didn't "bop" from there to nd2tty's post. I bopped from the 5-6 previous posts from posters trying desperately to twist my initial post, and to argue inaccurate stats and info against my comments. nd2tty's post was rightfully only seen by me as the next in a long line of pointless responses that had little to do with my post, and this thread's primary topic. So of course I was frustrated by the unnecessary pattern of responses.

That's understandable, though I hope you understand now that I wasn't simply adding to the long line of pointless responses or attacking your posts. I admit that my post was selective, focusing on the FG%, mostly because it stuck out to me not objective, but as subjective based on variable factors. I read the thread and the various responses, but chose not to engage the whole mostly because I don't think USC did wilt...at all. They did remarkable for their first F4. I don't think anyone thought they would take ND that close (except maybe Gamecock fans). They acquitted themselves very well.

Just for fun (cause that's what this is - fun, sports), we could skin the cat another way:

Let's say South Carolina got to the NC game, their first. In February, they shot 26-66 (39.4%) against UConn. Improvement since then would most likely be offset by the increased pressure of their first NC game, so let's say they shoot 41% in the hypothetical game. That's actually pretty generous considering that the average FG% of UConn's opponents over all 10 of their NC games is 34.6%. (The average of all teams in the NC game in the last 12 years is 40.6%.) With that 41% in the NC game, their 6-game total in the NCAA tournament would have 50.7%, or second, to UCONN. Though still, pretty darn good. Because that's what USC has become: pretty darn good. That's what I thought despite the score line in Feb, that's what I thought after the tournament, and that's what I'll think next year. Staley has done remarkable things there, and at least for the foreseeable future ("from now on" might raise ghosts of Louisiana Tech, etc), you guys will be a large part of the conversation.

Reaction Score

I was surprised when you said that SC had the best shooting percentage among the Final Four teams. When I ran the numbers, I was shocked to find out that you were right! It just shows how meaningless statistics are. As to your main point, I agree that SC will be one of the main contenders next year. We will get a better idea when we meet in SC and the final determination will be if we meet again in the final four.

Reaction Score
The South Carolina rotation next year might also include 6-2 forward Sarah Imovbioh, the fifth-year grad transfer from Virginia who led the ACC in rebounding in 2014-15. The Gamecocks are rumored to be the front-runner to land her.
ACC???? Natalie Butler will beat her off the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom