South Carolina fans, a moment please | The Boneyard

South Carolina fans, a moment please

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Bear with me as I recount some Boneyard history.

A few years ago, the General board didn’t exist so that fans of all teams posted about their teams and conferences here. That was OK until we got a massive inflow of non-UConn fans, I’m not sure where they came from. That was OK too, for a while, until a fan of a certain team out West insisted on turning every thread into one about their team. A UConn fan starting a thread about a stellar performance by a Husky would find themself reading about how the player from the West coast did the night before.

It wasn’t just that one team, though. We had multiple threads about non-UConn teams so that we had to wade through what we considered off topic items to find a nugget of news about our Huskies. It got to be too much. I didn’t want to get rid of the non-UConn fans and many Husky fans like the out of conference chatter so the General board was set up to allow fans of other teams start as many threads as they like about their teams and conferences.

What’s my point? I’m starting to see similar behavior from your fan base. Yes, we might mention or discuss your team but that doesn’t mean we are inviting you to take over threads or, worse, start insulting UConn fans and demeaning their opinions. Here, on the UConn side Husky fans will have wider latitude in their comments but non-UConn fans have a shorter leash. I invite you to add relevant info and opinions in a polite manner, as most have done until recently, but condescending and insulting comments can have consequences.

Thank you to the vast majority of visiting fans, including our South Carolina friends, for enriching the Boneyard with your knowledge and opinions. Please try to remember which board you are on when posting and try to keep your emotions in check before responding to a comment about your team that annoys you.

I appreciate your cooperation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

A few years ago, the General board didn’t exist so that fans of all teams posted about their teams and conferences here. That was OK until we got a massive inflow of non-UConn fans, I’m not sure where they came from. That was OK too, for a while, until a fan of a certain team out West insisted on turning every thread into one about their team. A UConn fan starting a thread about a stellar performance by a Husky would find themself reading about how the player from the West coast did the night before.

It wasn’t just that one team, though. We had multiple threads about non-UConn teams so that we had to wade through what we considered off topic items to find a nugget of news about our Huskies. It got to be too much. I didn’t want to get rid of the non-UConn fans and many Husky fans likes the out of conference chatter so the General board was set up so that fans of other teams could start as many threads as they like about their teams and conferences.

What’s my point? I’m starting to see similar behavior from your fan base. Yes, we might mention or discuss your team but that doesn’t mean we are inviting you to take over threads or, worse, start insulting UConn fans and demeaning their opinions. Here, on the UConn side Husky fans will have wider latitude in their comments but non-UConn fans have a shorter leash. I invite you to add relevant info and opinions in a polite manner, as most have done until recently, but condescending and insulting comments can have consequences.

Thank you to the vast majority of visiting fans, including our South Carolina friends, for enriching the Boneyard with your knowledge and opinions. Please try to remember which board you are on when posting and try to keep your emotions in check before responding to a comment about your team that annoys you.

I appreciate your cooperation.
Well said Nan. Thank you for posting this. Most of our associates from other fan bases do comport themselves in a respectful manner, but as you say, sometimes a few of them forget this is not their board, and all of us are not fans of their team, or care about its day to day challenges or accomplishments.

You don’t go to someone’s house for dinner and insult the cook and the cuisine. I second your admonition (reminder) to our visitors. I seldom visit other boards, but when I do, I mind my P’s and Q’s, never forgetting that I’m a guest, and there may be a plethora of posters there that are not UConn fans, or that like/respect Geno and our team as we do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Husky Nan: a question. What OT posts are appropriate and what is the criterion for a deletion??
P.S. I believe your management style is excellent. I appreciate you good judgment.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Husky Nan: a question. What OT posts are appropriate and what is the criterion for a deletion??
P.S. I believe your management style is excellent. I appreciate you good judgment.
It depends on the topic and time of year. There are more off topic threads in the off season which is great. A very large part of the Boneyard is here for the community, not just X and O basketball analysis.

Reaction Score
. .

Fellow Gamecocks:

While Nan's post mostly concerns actions on this Husky board, I would urge my fellow Gamecocks to keep your emotions in check on the General Board as well. Even there, don't respond to others in a demeaning manner even when a poster insults our team or school. Be better and don't let others drag you down to their level.

Let's try to remember that we once had an extremely active message board covering all Gamecock sports. It is now barely hanging on because the mods did not patrol for demeaning language, politics, criticizing players and the horribly disgusting game threads. I miss what it once was, and appreciate that these UConn folk have provided us a forum to discuss wbb.

Of course, I ain't yo' Diddy.

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nan, I imagine you see garbage that we never see. What does get through is good stuff (the SC people, the Duke guy who likes to eat, gold domer, etc.). I'll credit your vigilant moderation.
To be clear, and to acknowledge the tags of these people, @visitingcock , @triaddukefan , and @Dillon77 are the type of fans that are beneficial to this board with their solid, cogent, adult discourse.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
To be clear, and to acknowledge the tags of these people, @visitingcock , @triaddukefan , and @Dillon77 are the type of fans that are beneficial to this board with their solid, cogent, adult discourse.
We have many, many valued fans of other teams, some of whom have been here 20 years. @KnightBridgeAZ @CamrnCrz1974 @LETTERL @Sakibomb25 @Orangutan @amb3096 @bballnut90 @Boxerpups4me @southie @bbsamjj @TheFarmFan @nwhoopfan @KY Card Fan @Jmsdawg @CompSci87 @TerpWomenFan @azfan
and many more. Most of these folks have posted here for so long we forgot they’re fans of another team. It’s great.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There were a number of Stanford fans, in particular, whom I thought were good participants who do not post anymore. I'm thinking of cardfan especially. I hope we didn't chase them away.

Of course, we have also lost UConn fans who used to post frequently, like Icebear. And where has Cocohusky been lately?

Reaction Score
I want to express my appreciation for the opportunity to post and share here. I've long supported WCBB and very much enjoy the banter and news offered here. My first post here was just before the 2016 MSU team lost by 60 to UConn in the S16 and didn't really think at that time we would be a player for the next 3 years at the level we were. Despite our now return to middle tier SEC I am still here for the community, news and inputs as there really isn't anyplace else to get this.

I'm also a SEC football fan and the old football message boards, to which I belonged, were mostly vile places that I eventually left and haven't regretted it. I hope this place remains positive and welcoming. In the meantime, I will try and behave myself.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do love the moderating on this site and on the General site as well. I have read and occasionally posted on many sports sites, but this is the only place I am a regular because the threads generally remain focused and always remain civil.

I was initially unhappy with the site splitting into two because I missed the more active participation from fans of other teams here, but I understand why it happened and have gotten in the habit of visiting the general board more frequently. It is interesting that with a few exceptions the two boneyard sites have become the go to place for all women's basketball fans.

Reaction Score
I have no issues with vistingcock or triadukefan; both are welcome guests and almost part of the family. The important issue here is that the mods MUST stay vigilant and enforce a strict policy of play nice. This goes for UConn and non-Uconn fans alike. You can be passionate and civil. You can disagree with folks all you want, just don't insult them.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
There were a number of Stanford fans, in particular, whom I thought were good participants who do not post anymore. I'm thinking of cardfan especially. I hope we didn't chase them away.

Of course, we have also lost UConn fans who used to post frequently, like Icebear. And where has Cocohusky been lately?
I personally haven’t been chased away - still a lurker and a fan. I’ve just placed less emphasis on college athletics as a whole, haha. But still love coming to the Boneyard and reading up on the Huskies. Geno runs a great program and your athletes are always great representatives of the games!

I’m just glad I’m not the West Coast poster HuskyNan was referencing earlier!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nan, I imagine you see garbage that we never see. What does get through is good stuff (the SC people, the Duke guy who likes to eat, gold domer, etc.). I'll credit your vigilant moderation.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Hey, he is my source for all good info regarding donuts!

Well, at least I'm good for something around here :cool:
I hope he sends a cake with a stripper in it to your house.

I'll send a stripper, but you best believe I'm keeping the cake. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom