South Carolina: “We Should've Beaten Notre Dame And Competed For A Championship” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina: “We Should've Beaten Notre Dame And Competed For A Championship”

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Guess where UConn plays its best. If home is a big factor, then prime time ready?...maybe not. I get a great kick out of fans saying wait til you have to play in our house.

I was referring to the Duke game, actually. I do think the game with UCONN will be much closer this year, but it's too far off for me to make any predictions yet. We play Duke early in December and UCONN in February.

Reaction Score
Guess where UConn plays its best. If home is a big factor, then prime time ready?...maybe not. I get a great kick out of fans saying wait til you have to play in our house.
By my count UConn is 360-23 in the last decade (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Huskies_women's_basketball). I'm guessing in that span they played in a few supposedly tough road environments. Here's how it goes: game is hyped up, ESPN does its pre-game thing talking about the huge matchup, fans pack the place and are loud, game is 16-12 at the first TV timeout fans get even louder, after the commercial break UConn puts the hammer down on defense and it's 33-18 at the next TV timeout and the fans are now sitting and paying more attention to their cell phones. You could play these games on Mars and the results would be the same.

Reaction Score
Don't read so much into it. It's about competitiveness. It's about their own personal belief that they didn't play up to their standards. It's about the players always having a chip on their shoulder to drive them to get better. There isn't anything more to it. I also think that was something leaked by Imovbioh that was not mean to be broadcast publicly.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Here's the Logic: If I win, it's skill. If you win, it's luck. Several UConn fans apply this logic.
corollary at work: if i get ahead/promoted, it's due to skill; if someone else does, they played office politics better....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Interesting quote, but nothing surprising. SC felt like they should have won and I'll bet ND feels that the game should never have been that close. Doesn't change the reality of the situation.

But if that's what they want to use as motivation, more power to them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was referring to the Duke game, actually. I do think the game with UCONN will be much closer this year, but it's too far off for me to make any predictions yet. We play Duke early in December and UCONN in February.

I know you were talking Duke. I was just making a point about teams which play significantly differently home and road have growing to do. I do expect a better game between SC and UConn this year. I also recall before the game was over last February your fan board had a bunch of it will be different on our home court posts.

Reaction Score
Success is just a matter of luck, ask any failure.

So Geno's nearly every year comment that the 6 games is about preparation, talent, and LUCK. Never underestimate the value of luck--Look at the ND win over USC---Cable was in the right place at the right time, had she been 3 feet in any direction away--she would not have gotten the rebound (LUCK) and made the final last second basket to win--that is LUCK.
I agree with Dawn Staley--they could have should have been in the Championship game--albeit, the results would remain the same. Uconn's team last year worked thru adversity, and a first big game loss, and dug their heels in for the rest of the seasons--practiced harder, listen more intently and trusted their talent and their coaches--and WON!!!!!

Reaction Score
I know you were talking Duke. I was just making a point about teams which play significantly differently home and road have growing to do. I do expect a better game between SC and UConn this year. I also recall before the game was over last February your fan board had a bunch of it will be different on our home court posts.
With all of last years constants being different--it MUST be a different game--and I suspect a more competitive game. I don't dislike any team Uconn plays, except maybe Rutgers. It is much more fun, a bit emotional, to watch Uconn play ND, USC, Duke,sometimes Depaul, I hope Ohio too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
With all of last years constants being different--it MUST be a different game--and I suspect a more competitive game. I don't dislike any team Uconn plays, except maybe Rutgers. It is much more fun, a bit emotional, to watch Uconn play ND, USC, Duke,sometimes Depaul, I hope Ohio too.

All of last year's constants different? No, never mind. The only constants in basketball are the height of the rim and the rules.

Reaction Score
Here's the Logic: If I win, it's skill. If you win, it's luck. Several UConn fans apply this logic.
Using your logic---that is true of EVERY FAN of every team more often applied to close games. Uconn fans are more knowledgeable about WBB and the competition and therefore know if anyone beats them---it must be luck!!!! When you have a coach second in stature only to John Wooden (if that) and staff along with the top 3 or 6 players in the country--how can you not see that if another team wins (no one beats them) it must be luck..

Reaction Score
All of last year's constants different? No, never mind. The only constants in basketball are the height of the rim and the rules.
Constants of LAST YEAR---the constants were the UConn Team members vs the USC team member --I recall no transfers from either team after (Edwards) and the season started--that's constant. Those things that remain the same are constants.
Sorry I forgot you are from Tenn---Ya all thar R sums thangs that'n dosen't get fur frum what'n they's wus. Got it??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Constants of LAST YEAR---the constants were the UConn Team members vs the USC team member --I recall no transfers from either team after (Edwards) and the season started--that's constant. Those things that remain the same are constants.
Sorry I forgot you are from Tenn---Ya all thar R sums thangs that'n dosen't get fur frum what'n they's wus. Got it??

Every couple of years someone extrapolates from what they think my moniker represents to accuse me of being from RockyTop. UConn since 1991. RockyMT stands for Rocky, a nick name of mine, and Rocky Mountains - the ones in my backyard here in Montana - MT. Blue- self explanatory I hope!

Still confused on the constants though. Year to year players change - advance and decline. SC lost some leadership. We lost a great 3 point shooter who assassinated SC and a defensive gem. Stewie is better. Kia is better. Can Mo get any better. Morgan will be better I think. So will Coates and Wilson. Don't think the 5th year transfer will help much and won't be able to keep up. The SC back court is still an open question. AND they just don't do defense like UConn can.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ya all thar R sums thangs that'n dosen't get fur frum what'n they's wus. Got it??

Gotta say it has a certain charm to the cadence of it. You sure you weren't born somewhere in the Osarks or south of there, with a banjo playing in the background?

Kib won't tell you I think, but "Ya all" is a misspelling. And there would never be a "t" in "thaaan" and I'll stop there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ya all thar R sums thangs that'n dosen't get fur frum what'n they's wus. Got it??

Gotta say it has a certain charm to the cadence of it. You sure you weren't born somewhere in the Osarks or south of there, with a banjo playing in the background?

Kib won't tell you I think, but "Ya all" is a misspelling. And there would never be a "t" in "thaaan" and I'll stop there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
and sometime the rules aren't very constant either

You are right of course. Not constant -not consistent - when filtered through 3 sets of eyes and 3 brains or even maybe conferences. Couple of years ago we had some rule changes that SEC refs had to back off of 'cuz the players could not accept that they had to give up the whole rugby scrum thing.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Still waiting for the apology for that Tenn slur Va; just not holding my breath.

Reaction Score

Interesting concept ===you miss spelled miss spelling!! Need glasses?? Thar'n not thaan.
You got me I was born in as little of 30 room shack in Simsbury, Ct. Daddy was one of those old Tobacco farmers. That thar is whar I larned my dollars and sents. Ya' all---as it's written south of the Mason Dixon!!
However you don't read like one of those bad Yankees's, most tend to read with comprehension---Constants with large LAST YEAR means the constants spoken of (written of) remain true only for the time specified,
then speaking of this year --one with English reading skills knows that Constants are only for the year wherein that Constant is defined. The next year has different Constants--on one expects Basketball players to remain from birth to death. Nice concept, but it does not work.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If they ever are going to win a NC. This would be the year

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If they ever are going to win a NC. This would be the year
Really? In Stewart and Jefferson's last year? I would think they have a much better chance next year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Really? In Stewart and Jefferson's last year? I would think they have a much better chance next year.
My comments was about the talent they have. Do I expect them to win it this year?NO! In March guard play is key. I think UConn ands Tennessee both will have better guard play.

Reaction Score
Every couple of years someone extrapolates from what they think my moniker represents to accuse me of being from RockyTop. UConn since 1991. RockyMT stands for Rocky, a nick name of mine, and Rocky Mountains - the ones in my backyard here in Montana - MT. Blue- self explanatory I hope!

Still confused on the constants though. Year to year players change - advance and decline. SC lost some leadership. We lost a great 3 point shooter who assassinated SC and a defensive gem. Stewie is better. Kia is better. Can Mo get any better. Morgan will be better I think. So will Coates and Wilson. Don't think the 5th year transfer will help much and won't be able to keep up. The SC back court is still an open question. AND they just don't do defense like UConn can.
Rocky,Imo if Warlick gets her team to jell and play as a team.They will be the team to beat in the SEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom