South Bend TV post game report | The Boneyard

South Bend TV post game report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think they understand or realize how DEFENSE effects offense.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
At least they can't claim the refs favored UConn and gave them the game at the FT line, as the Irish had 1 more chance.

Reaction Score
I think it is a pretty typical reaction after a big loss. I remember a few post-game interviews after UConn losses (rare, I know) that felt similar..

Reaction Score
Not a very gracious group. They really have an inflated view of themselves.
I can't disagree more. Anyone would be pissed off. Jewell Loyd is a senior now, and her first three seasons all ended at the hands of UConn. When we say that UConn is good for the game, that they force other teams to get better, this is what we mean. Notre Dame (and South Carolina and a few other teams) have a decision right now; they can decide that getting to the final four and playing second fiddle is good enough, or they can decide that this is day one of their next season and rededicate themselves to not having this happen again.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with those reactions. Pretty much gives respect to UConn in saying the gap is not closed until they beat them although that is going to take much more than swatting away a mosquito. :)

Reaction Score
I "hate" Notre Dame! Well, of course, I put quotation marks around that word because I don't truly hate them in the literal sense, but I pulled hard for them to win their semi-final vs. SC only because I knew how much better I'd feel on Wednesday morning if it was they UConn inflicted this kind of pain upon rather than anyone else. Naturally, the only reason it's fun "hating" them is that they're so damned good. A year ago, from the very beginning of the season, I felt that ND had the second best team in the country with the second best coach. I felt identically from the beginning of this season, as I do most seasons. We UConn fans are pretty spoiled, because we boast a once-in-a-lifetime kind of program with a once-in-a-lifetime kind of coach. That won't last forever. It's no slouch that, under those circumstances, emerges with second best program and second best coach. Muffett breeds true warriors, kids who detest losing, the kinds of kids, in short, we always want to play for our favorite team. Calling them ungracious because their pain is so palpable is just plain silly. If ND had pulled off the upset, I'd expect the same reaction from the UConn players and would be disappointed if it was not forthcoming. The whole cliche about the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat is very real and very visceral here, as it should be at the very highest level of competition.

Reaction Score
I don't hate ND, but they have accounted for 7, or half, of UConn's losses in the last 8 years. ND had their way with UConn in national semi-final games as well as conference championship games. Yeah, I get that UConn is "annoying," but the shoe was on the other foot just a few years ago.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought it was a very natural reaction to the game from their perspective. Not at all disrespectful.
I agree. Most of them were near tears, said they hate losing to UCONN - 3 times in a row now - and it motivates them to work even harder. Even Muffet said that "we are a better offensive team than we showed, but their defense took us out"...

ND really only loses Madison Cable. Turner outplayed Stewie in the 2nd half. We only beat them by 2 points in the 2nd half. They have lots of reasons to be optimistic and confident next year, and I'd guess they will be #2 preseason to UCONN's #1 in November...

Reaction Score
I agree. Most of them were near tears, said they hate losing to UCONN - 3 times in a row now - and it motivates them to work even harder. Even Muffet said that "we are a better offensive team than we showed, but their defense took us out"...

ND really only loses Madison Cable. Turner outplayed Stewie in the 2nd half. We only beat them by 2 points in the 2nd half. They have lots of reasons to be optimistic and confident next year, and I'd guess they will be #2 preseason to UCONN's #1 in November...
Cable is a red shirt junior, I believe, so she probably is coming back too. ND has everyone back. Wish we could have KML back. That's going to be a bigger loss than people realize.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the link. I couldn't find the ND post game interview on the NCAA site. I continue to be impressed by both Loyd and Reimer in their interviews. They could be really likable if they didn't play for ND. Wasn't it a ND player who burst into the UConn locker room, after perhaps the 2001 semi-final loss to them, and shouted "it must suck to be you"?
And of course we have their boorish behavior at last year's Naismith NPOY award. All in all I'd say that there is enough to keep UConn motivated to keep beating them.

Reaction Score
So stop complaining and figure out a way to win. They lost... get over it...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cable is a red shirt junior, I believe, so she probably is coming back too. ND has everyone back. Wish we could have KML back. That's going to be a bigger loss than people realize.
Hmm. did not know that. Per Doris Burke during the game and the ESPN website, Cable is a senior and will be gone after this year.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I can't disagree more. Anyone would be pissed off. Jewell Loyd is a senior now, and her first three seasons all ended at the hands of UConn. When we say that UConn is good for the game, that they force other teams to get better, this is what we mean. Notre Dame (and South Carolina and a few other teams) have a decision right now; they can decide that getting to the final four and playing second fiddle is good enough, or they can decide that this is day one of their next season and rededicate themselves to not having this happen again.

Loyd is a Junior & will be back next year....unless she declares for the WNBA draft. Don't think that's a possibility.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thought that was a really good report and had no problem with any of the comments. They said what every good defeated team says - they will not be satisfied until they get the monkey (Husky) off their back and that they will work to do that.

There is the famous reaction of Diana and Maria in the locker room after the 2001 semifinal loss - a vow never to feel that way again. This was pretty similar to that. Whether they can back it up is another thing - there will only ever be one Diana!

Reaction Score
Hmm. did not know that. Per Doris Burke during the game and the ESPN website, Cable is a senior and will be gone after this year.

ND lists their athletes by their academic year in school, not athletic eligibility. Cable entered school for the 2011-12 academic year and will graduate next month. To get a 5th year, she will have to be asked back (which she will be if she hasn't been already), and be admitted to graduate school.

She missed the 2011-12 season (her freshman year) with stress fractures in her feet. She could be back or she could decide it is time to move on to whatever the next phase of her life will be.

Reaction Score

Not sure that saying Turner outplayed Stewie in the 2nd half means much. Stewie was playing on an injured ankle and it was obvious that it impacted at least her offensive game as she took significantly less shots after returning to the game. That being said, it is likely that it also affected her all around game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know as much as I am ready to think poorly of any UConn foe/rival, I can't fault them for what they said. I think ND would have likely had 3 more natties but for UConn. That has to suck for them and I sure they want to beat us pretty badly.

Oh and Jewel, that mosquito you mentioned has a pretty big bite:

th

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
Eric quoted Muffet as saying "we are a better offensive team than we showed, but their defense took us out.." True enough. But the same can be said for us. If you look at at the game thread, you'll note many comments suggesting that we were not playing one of our stellar offensive games. As Geno said before the game, these two teams know each other so well that there are no surprises. Others on this board are far more knowledgable than I am about how this affects play. However, my inference is that each team was pretty adept at taking the other team out of it's normal offensive pattern.

OK, both teams had a subpar offensive game but we as usual found a way to come out on top. That's the bottom line. Geno is 10-0 NC games for a reason!

Reaction Score
Loyd is a Junior & will be back next year....unless she declares for the WNBA draft. Don't think that's a possibility.
I think you missed my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc